*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/606286-Flossies-109th-Lesson
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
#606286 added September 9, 2008 at 7:09pm
Restrictions: None
Flossie's 109th Lesson
FLOSSIE'S 109th LESSON

It was so good to see Flossie again! She was standing in the yard when I arrived, sticking her head through the fence to see if I remembered to bring her a carrot.

The first thing I noticed was she had gained weight since I saw her last. After my ride, I found out why; Des told me he was feeding her oats and pellets with her hay during last week's rain. She is such an easy keeper, it didn't take much to fatten her up! Since she had lost a bit of weight during the drought, she looks marvelous now.

I also noticed the dam is high again; not as high as it can get, but pretty close to it! It made my heart sing to see it full again and to see the paddock a luscious green! I feasted my eyes on the sight; it all looked so healthy and alive!

Des told me he's officially taken Flossie off the market now that the cost of hay has come down and he can afford to keep her now. He assured me that she's staying; and those were his words, too!

As soon as I started Flossie off this morning, I knew she was feeling good. That long reprieve from the saddle, plus the higher octane food she's been eating, gave her some energy I don't always see. She was tossing her head, anxious to be off; not like her at all!

I warmed her up in the paddock at a walk and then a trot and/or pace. She even threw a little canter step here and there for good measure. Even though she felt like a keg of dynamite ready to go off, she obeyed my every command and didn't do anything stupid.

I didn't work her in the paddock for long, however, because the ground was still a little bit soft, so after I warmed her up, I took her directly to the track. I was so pleased with the way she went on the bit and worked for me, I couldn't wait to see how she'd go around the track, but as soon as we came to it, she stopped dead. I coaxed her to go on, which she did without a problem. Why she had stopped is beyond me.

Anyway, since she was warmed up, I took her around at a pace, then a trot, then a canter. She balked once at a tire that was leaning against the fence near the road, but go figure; she went right past the bulldozers that were working across the street; smoke coming out of their chimneys, and engines roaring and all. I had her nicely on the bit by then and she just kept right on it. I was so pleased with her!

The tire didn't bother her, either, after I got her past it. She just threw her head at it over and over and then finally just walked on by. I had her going past it at a faster pace and a canter, later, and she didn't even bat an eye.

She had forgotten a few things we had been working on, however, over the past eighteen days; I had to remind her to stay in the center of the track, for one thing. She was so responsive, though, I didn't have to fight her.

If you ever run across an equestrian who's looking for exercises to improve their seat, I recommend a huge exercise ball. Mine has done wonders for me. I don't feel a pull in my muscles the way I used to since I've been using the ball, and I am able to keep myself in the proper position with a lot less effort than I ever could before.

Since I found some exercises in a horse magazine to do on the ball that were designed for equestrians, I've been working out on the ball every day since I rode last. The exercises are for improving balance, and for developing an independent seat. I recommend the ball to anyone who needs help in these areas because it works wonders!

I was able to sit Flossie's terrible trot longer than ever before. It's very rough and it will never be my favorite gait as long as I'm riding her, but I am progressing in my skills. Slowly, perhaps, but surely nevertheless.

Des told me Blaze is proving to be a real handful for the trainer who's been halter breaking him. We both laughed because we knew he would be like that.

BamBam is being weaning this Sunday, so the next time I go there, he will be in the stall Blaze was in when he was weaned not too long ago. Des is going to worm Bambi and Flossie as soon as the colt's no longer nursing.

Billy is building two more stalls on Des' property. One is going next to the stall that's already standing beside the yard. That means I'll have to find another place to groom and tack up Flossie.

Billy has four horses on the property at the moment and is bringing in another one; Des is having another horse coming in, and Gary's got a gelding on the property with the intentions of bringing Blaze back as soon as the flu restrictions have been lifted. Des told me there won't be room for him and that's that.

When you look around that place, it's hard to believe the man's planning on leaving in three months. I have a feeling he may change his mind. Especially now that the drought is over. Or, if it's not really completely over, at least until things get bad again.


© Copyright 2008 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/606286-Flossies-109th-Lesson