*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/612005-A-Visit-from-My-Children
by JudyB
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1467972
My experiences of diagnosis/treatment of cancer
#612005 added October 10, 2008 at 8:24am
Restrictions: None
A Visit from My Children
Several weeks after my first round of chemo, my son and his family were able to come for a weekend. Nothing spurred my energy and anticipation more than their visit. While I had talked to Jason and Char almost daily since I had been in the hospital, I had not seen my precious grandchildren.

Upon entering my room, little Emma made a beeline for my bed. Her mom lifted her up and she promptly snuggled up against me. I quickly wrapped my arms around her and kissed her sweet little face. It felt sooo good to see her again. Gage, at 13 months, gave me a sweet, recognizing smile but I couldn't be allowed to hold him for fear he would accidently hurt me. When I was first diagnosed, he had flung his little head back into my face, resulting in severe swelling for nearly two weeks.

When they had all settled into the local motel, Char entertained them at the water park while Jason came up to spend some one-on-one time with me. He brought me some food from Culver's, hoping I would like it better than the tasteless hospital food, but by then the chemo had altered my taste buds to a point that even that food did not find favor with me.

After watching a movie with me on the VCR, Jason returned to his family and I took a much needed nap. The next morning the whole family came to see me once more before their long drive back home. Even though it was a short weekend, it was one I'll always remember with graditude for having a family that loves me.

© Copyright 2008 JudyB (UN: judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JudyB has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/612005-A-Visit-from-My-Children