*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/616702-A-Bump-in-the-Night
by JT.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Detective · #1491785
Crime Mystery - Book for the Nano
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#616702 added June 21, 2009 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
A Bump in the Night
         The air was cool and crisp, with a chill breeze that was blowing from the West that was carrying the distinct smell of an oncoming rainstorm with it. The weatherman on the local news channel hadn't predicted any rain for the day, not even for the next week, but as every Minnesotan quickly learns, the weather in the state is unpredictable, especially during the springtime. The months of March and April being some of the worst for the weathermen, after all its only in Minnesota where it can be 70 degrees one day and then dive down to below freezing and snow the next day, making it near impossible to accurately predict the weather. But the weather isn't the only thing that people have a hard time to predict, looking out of the window of his home off of Como Avenue the man had didn't think that anything bad could ever happen to him or his beautiful wife.
         As the sun dipped below the horizon he turned and went to the kitchen where the aroma of a chicken dinner was wafting as his wife took it out of the oven. Sitting down to eat they discussed everything that young married couples talk about, hanging on to each others word as though they may never hear them speak again. When their meal was done, both husband and wife cleaned the table and washed the dishes. After this they decided that they should go for a nice evening stroll before the rain started to fall and the weather was nice. After returning home the couple called it a early night and went to bed.
         Across the street from the couples house sat a black Chevy truck. No light shown from the truck except for a small glow from the lit end of a cigarette. The man smoking the cigarette watched the house in silence, slowly puffing away at the cigarette. The man in the passenger seat also sat in silence, keeping a watch out for police coming down the road. When the light in the bedroom went out, the smoker turned to his friend.
         "They went to bed. Let's get this over with."
         "Huh, I woulda thought they'd be bangin' each other for awhile so that we'd have to wait longer. Ah well, I agree. Let's get in there." The passenger grabbed his gun and checked to make sure that it was loaded and that a round was already seated in the chamber. Putting in a shoulder holster he kept hidden underneath his jacket he opened his side of the door and stepped out. The smoker opened his door and flicked his cigarette into the grass and grabbed his weapon of choice, a Gerber knife with a 4 inch blade that was easily concealable and small, but sharp as hell and could cut through just about anything. Drawing up side by side they moved towards the house. As they crossed the road and started to walk across the grass rain started to fall. At first it fell in small, sporadic drops but turned into a downpour within seconds. It wasn't long after that that the lightning started to flash across the night sky. With all of the noise of the storm no one could hear the terror and carnage that occurred in the young couples home that night.
© Copyright 2009 JT. (UN: varius at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JT. has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/616702-A-Bump-in-the-Night