*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/618452-Chapter-Four
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Theino
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1492741
An interactive web-based fantasy novel, readers vote on what happens in the next chapter
#618452 added November 14, 2008 at 1:09am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Four
Raising his hammer over his shoulder, Kenrick readied himself for the wave of gnomes.


“There’s too many of them! We should run?”


Kenrick was in complete contrast to the guard. He could see the man’s agitation. His body rippled with uncontrollable movement. Kenrick took in a deep breath, his training unconsciously consuming him. He swung the hammer in a vertical circle over his shoulder.


“You can’t outrun a gnome.”


It was mere seconds before the gnomes reached the two humans. Every sound was faint, as if it came across a great expanse. With weapons raised, the gnomes attacked, three on one.


Kenrick dodged the first swing, letting it fade to his right as he rolled to his left, striking out at the gnome now closest to him. His hammer collided with the sword, knocking it free of the gnome’s hand, sending it flying up and out of the tunnel. Twisting the hammer, he drove the head into the gnome’s chest, sending him back several feet and momentarily paralyzing him.


Instantly Kenrick turned, swinging his hammer wide, intercepting a slash to his back. The other gnome ran forward, sword lifted over his head. Kenrick spun to the left as the blade came down inches from his right shoulder. Swinging his hammer in a downward arch, he felt the impact of metal on flesh. Even over his numbed cognizance to everything but his training, he heard the crack of the man’s thighbone. Ignoring the man’s cries as he dropped to the ground, another sound interrupted his mind.


Chanting; out of the corner of his eye he could see the three cloaked gnomes swaying side to side. He paused, noting their feverish calls. It was long enough for the unarmed gnome to jump upon his back. The smaller figure quickly wrapped his arms around Kenrick’s neck and began to pull with all its might.


Kenrick gasped. It was so sudden. He tried to breathe. No air slaked his need. He felt himself sway. It suddenly occurred to him how much blood he had lost. He stumbled, dropping his hammer. He stumbled again and fell to one of his knees.


Before him stood the remaining gnome, sword elevated. A sheet of blackness flashed over Kenrick’s eyes. The gnome moved closer. In as much slowness as Kenrick could imagine, the gnome brought the sword down; a white flash.


With all his strength, Kenrick rolled towards the gnome. He heard the quick squeal of the gnome on his back, felt the pressure of the body up against his and then the abrupt relief around his neck. He gasped while continuing his roll and collided into the last gnome. The small body collapsed under the enormous weight of the human. Kenrick came to a rest with the last gnome squirming underneath him. An arm punched out, he ignored the tingling sensation.


Regaining his breath, Kenrick looked up from off his stomach.














Brock Sansome


Author of The Spheres of Caddock series and the interactive web-based novel The Chronicles of Kenrick.


www.brocksansome.com
© Copyright 2008 Theino (UN: theino at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Theino has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/618452-Chapter-Four