*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619961-Writing-Thought-of-the-Day--Another-Book-Review
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#619961 added November 22, 2008 at 3:17pm
Restrictions: None
Writing Thought of the Day & Another Book Review
I don't have much time, but I thought I'd pop on in and leave you with this food for thought:

Research.

What about you ask? It's a valuable tool for you, the writer. Research gives your writing authenticity. But I don't have the ability to research, you argue. YOU DO. Trust me. If you're on the Internet right now, you can Google anything. Research has helped bring authenticity to may writing. I've written several stories that have been researched. THE MUSIC BOX, THE WATCH TOWER, and RED PAINT, CRIMSON BLOOD are all stories that I researched. They all received Honorable Mentions in Writer's Digest Competition and I believe they did goo because I researched them.

Of course you can always go to a library. You can read several books on the topic you want to write about. You can watch a movie, you can go VISIT the place you want to write about. Say you're writing a Gothic tale that takes place in colonial New England. You can go visit Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. You can't there? Google it. Use Google maps to give you a reference where it is.

That said, anyone else want to share their research tips?
Smile,
Steph

That said, it's time for my daily book review...

Book Review for: “Wanting What You Get”
Written By: Kathy Love
Kensington Publishing Corp.
ISBN: 0-8217-7613-4
320 pages
$5.99
5 Stars

Kathy Love weaves a masterful tale of contemporary romance in “Wanting What You Get.” Set in Millbrook, Maine, this is the second installment of the “Stepp Sisters” series. Ellie Stepp works as the town’s librarian. Just when she thinks she’ll never find love, she’s in for a surprise. Love’s writing is crisp. “Wanting What You Get” is a satisfying romantic escape to New England.

Ellie’s sisters, Abby and Marty, left Millbrook to find adventure outside of Maine, but Ellie stayed behind finding a job as the town’s librarian. At Abby’s wedding, Ellie, as the maid of honor, is paired with Mason Sweet, Chase’s longtime friend and best man. Mason is also the town’s mayor and someone Ellie has secretly harbored a torch for since high school.

Mason is a hard edged character. His wife left him and he feels as if he’s going through the motions in his life. He shares a dance with Ellie and comes to see her for the sweet, honest person she is.

Mason does his best to fight his attraction to Ellie. She’s a kind girl and he’s a downright scoundrel. On occasion, he also drinks too much. Ellie, however, doesn’t want to fight the attraction between them. She wants to embrace it. Her steadfast nature gets through to Mason, but he falls asleep before he can make love to her. The next morning, a sober Mason apologizes and Ellie forgives him. They make love and begin a heated, yet secret affair.

Mason adores Ellie. He finds her honest and down-to-earth, unlike his wife who was materialistic. However, he believes it’s better to keep the affair a secret so as to keep Ellie’s reputation safe since he’s such a scoundrel.

Ellie loves spending time with Mason. She accepts him as he is. Their lovemaking is torrid and untamed, awakening Ellie’s passion. Soon, the couple grow emotionally close. Mason admits to Abby and Chase that he’s seeing Ellie, but when his haughty parents show up, he gets drunk and breaks up with Ellie.

Ellie doesn’t have time to be sorry for herself. She’s pregnant with Mason’s baby. When he finds out, he goes to Ellie and proposes. Ellie says no to him – he’s a drunk and needs to get his act together. Mason starts going to AA. The ending is a rich reward for the reader.

Love’s follow up to “Getting What You Want,” is emotionally more complex which makes it that much more enjoyable. Her love scenes are vivid and full of emotional passion. Love’s dialogue engages the reader. The names of her character have symbolic meaning. She does write in a “Lonesome Dove” perspective without any clear divisions or line breaks which can be disconcerting to some. Her plot and pacing are right on point, allowing the reader to slow down and take a breath before the action starts again. “Wanting What You Get,” is a great book to curl up with for some late night reading.

© Copyright 2008 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619961-Writing-Thought-of-the-Day--Another-Book-Review