*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621286-The-Negotiator
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #1500483
Items written for the various flash fiction challenges, whenever the muse strikes.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#621286 added November 30, 2008 at 7:15am
Restrictions: None
The Negotiator
“Max, I think you are being ridiculous!” the words were delivered as though sprayed from a semi-automatic weapon.

“Ridiculous is the sorry picture you cut during your drunken philander-meander at last year’s party, I am merely suggesting an unusual theme.” Max rolled his eyes for effect.

“Unusual would be Santa with a lavender tinted beard, not Baywatch babes in Red going tee-hee-hee!” Sara had auburn Medusa curls that seemed to writhe with her anger.

“Having a beach theme would be more suited to the tropical warmth or are you unaware of which continent is now under your feet? There’s a clue there if you can get it – Down Under?”

“It’s only a party guys. It does not have to be a style statement.” Herbert’s French beard waggled as he pleaded, his role was always to try to negotiate peace between his sister and erstwhile brother-in-law.; he was about as effective as a bleating goat. They were well into arm-swinging, face-squaring stage.

I swear I wouldn’t do this except for Jimmy, he too deserves a peaceful world.

“Mom? Dad?” There was a plaintive appeal from the small figure supposedly asleep on the couch.

“Can we have a Santa magician? He could have elves that were clowning around. The gifts could materialize under a tree with coloured carnival lights and a sudden miraculous snowstorm coming out of nowhere.”

Herbert decided the time had come to hand on the torch. He will make a worthy scion, fortune that is blessed with ingenuity.

The compromise was reached without loss of face for either parent; the theme was unusual and yet traditional. Needless to say the Jones' party was one-up on all others that year.


Word count:282
Written for:
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
30/11/08
Prompt: Write a story about a family argument. (I tried to keep it seasonal.)
© Copyright 2008 Just an Ordinary Boo! (UN: jyo_an at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Just an Ordinary Boo! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621286-The-Negotiator