*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/622037-Here-it-Comes-Again
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#622037 added December 3, 2008 at 8:13pm
Restrictions: None
Here it Comes Again
Anyone who has been reading my blog since Adam was a lad will be aware I am probably the biggest Humbugger on the site. I make no apologies for this and will add I do not resent anyone who enjoys this time of year. But for various reasons I have never liked this silly season or felt the way it's celebrated is appropriate. The fact the hype seems to start earlier and earlier each year only adds to my distaste of what I see as a profit making, insensitive and totally obscene lust for greed, gain and self indulgence. Call me a grumpy old woman if you like; you won't be the first.

Yesterday my Dad turned 89 and quietly celebrated his burpday (along with Mrs. Whatsit and Britney Spears which I'm sure he'd be thrilled about) Today I received my first Humbug card. Don't you just hate those people who have nothing better to do or think about than getting the cards out the way at the start of December, knowing full well we'll feel inferior and like crap because we haven't even bought any yet? Ah, the spirit of C*******S is rammed down our throats at every opportunity and is so insincere it makes me want to puke. Bah Humbug.

But it gives me the opportunity to explain my decisions this year. Without wishing to offend and because of the sad circumstances of this year, we'll be playing down the season even more than usual. It's hard to face your first C*******S without your Mum and with added members to the family and the credit crunch, finances are going to be tight. Therefore I have decided I won't be sending parcels abroad this year, only cards, but that doesn't make my devotion to friends here any less.

We will need to tighten our belts and save every penny for our once in a lifetime trip to the U.S. next May, God willing. If I get to meet some WDC friends over there during our stay then that is my gift. That's not to say some won't receive unburpday or unhumbug gifts at some stage, particularly if I win the Lottery. I hope you'll understand my reasoning.

But I better get to beddy now; I have to go Humbug shopping tomorrow but am quietly praying we may be snowed in as my heart just isn't in it. Love and appreciation for others is not something I think should be confined to high days and holidays and as always I'll be glad when it's all over. Over and out - your resident Scrooge.

© Copyright 2008 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/622037-Here-it-Comes-Again