*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/622545-Chapter-Seven
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Theino
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1492741
An interactive web-based fantasy novel, readers vote on what happens in the next chapter
#622545 added December 5, 2008 at 7:23pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Seven
Turning to the right, Kenrick could see lights flickering along the tunnel walls, many shadows danced across the cold stone. Without any hesitation, the group made its way down the straight tunnel that opened into a small cavern.





The noise was overwhelming, music; drums, cymbals and flutes. Each note crashed against the other in utter discord. To Kenrick, the music was obviously improvised, the lack of harmony was too much, even for gnomes. Not only did music saturate Kenrick’s ears, but so did shouting and cheering.





Over a hundred gnomes crammed themselves into the tiny cavern. They danced and swayed, running back and forth around several fires; some with meat roasting on spits, larger ones where tired gnomes congregated.





The music began to fade as the group entered into the now overloaded cavern. The laughing and shouting trickled to a stop. Over a hundred sets of eyes stared at the two humans towering over the assembly of gnomes.





Out of the back of the cavern quickly walked an older gnome. With frail arms that looked hardly capable of holding the cane that supported his body. He stopped in front of the first gnome.





“You have returned, successfully?”





With a quick glance to those behind him, the explorer responded.





“With two humans, my chief.”





“And the fallen?”





He hesitated. “No humans, eight warriors.”





For a brief second, the old gnome’s eyes went wide and showed the white of his orbs, but they quickly resumed their half-open slits.





“Then we must thank Omerean that these followers of Caddock did not end any more lives.” The old man quickly pointed to the guard and nodded as he walked to the centre of the cavern where the largest fire burned.





Kenrick was forced to kneel as his guard was pushed towards the fire. Out of a pocket on the side of the older gnome’s pants, he brought forth a long silver knife that glinted in the light of the many fires. The guard tried to struggle as he was pushed to the ground, but the many gnomes surrounding him and the bandages on his legs and arms prevented any interference.





Kenrick could see the trembling guard before the gnome. His back was dark against the glowing fire in front of him.





The chief looked into the guard’s eyes.





“Since the time the dwarves forsook us we have been held back by councils’ pleading. For nearly a millennia we have ignored Omerean’s wishes. Now we march. Our entire nation moves against the whole world to resurrect our God back into his rightful position.





“And you will be one of the first to be sacrificed for the good of Omerean’s Plight.”


Before the enchantment of the gnome’s speech could be swayed, he raised the knife over his head.








Brock Sansome


Author of The Spheres of Caddock series and the interactive web-based novel The Chronicles of Kenrick.


www.brocksansome.com
© Copyright 2008 Theino (UN: theino at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Theino has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/622545-Chapter-Seven