*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/622578
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1497953
My entries for Daily Flash Fiction contests
#622578 added December 5, 2008 at 8:20pm
Restrictions: None
Hanging Holiday Stockings
Daily Flash Fiction – story about putting up Holiday decorations

Grant pulled out the hammer and put the nails in the wall, cascading next to the fireplace. Little Amy, always the helper, brought the stockings to Grant. She felt something funny in them.

“Dad,” she looked up at him, “why are the stocking crinkly?”

“Crinkly?” Grant came down off the chair on which he was standing. “Hmm, there’s paper in them. Your Mom must have put them in there to keep them neat when we stored them. Take it out, okay, Honey?”

Amy started the task, handing her dad each of the stockings. “I think it’s a Christmas story.” Amy said, laying each paper out on the floor.

Grant laughed, but stopped when he saw the writing. “Mary?” he called to his wife, who came in from the kitchen. “When did we get these? They’re in Mom’s writing.” Grant’s mother had passed away last summer.

“I’ve never seen them, Grant.” She picked one up and read it, “Dearest Grant, you are the best son a mother could ask for. You have always been there for me, and always taken care of the family. You have been a Godsend. Thank you for everything.”

Grant read the next, “Little Amy, you are a treasure worth more than all the gold in the world. I wish I could watch you grow, but I know you will be a beautiful, strong woman. Take care of Mom and Dad.”

“Loving Mary,” the next letter started. “thank you for taking me in so graciously. I could ask for no more perfect woman for my Grant. You are an inspiration.”

Each note was signed with a flourishing “Merry Christmas.” Grant and Mary sat, dumbfounded.

“How?” Grant asked.

“Grandma’s an angel!” Amy exclaimed.

“Yes she is, Sweeite!” Mary smiled.

Word Count: 291


** Image ID #1464515 Unavailable **

The Angel Outreach Program - Click me to find out more!
© Copyright 2008 Beck Firing back up! (UN: write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beck Firing back up! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/622578