*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623580
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1504110
A man's life, faith and friends change forever along with the face of the world.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#623580 added April 10, 2009 at 2:31pm
Restrictions: None
Introduction
This story is in essence little more than fan fiction set in the Guild Wars universe. It follows the plotline of Guild Wars Prophecies closely, and many of the major events are directly taken out of the game. Many other in-game events and characters are referenced somehow. While I hope that this story is enjoyable to those who have not played the game, I am equally aware that those who have played the game are likely to enjoy it more.

The story is told through the eyes of a young Elementalist and starts roughly two years after an event known as the Searing. While he is present to witness many major plot events he is not there all the way. Instead, he accounts the story of a woman who was. The narrator can be seen as a "henchman" who is often, but not always, invited to join the heroine on her ventures.

A lot of this story is based on the lore of the Guild Wars universe, and I have done my best to stay true to the essence of that world. However, some of this story is based more on a player's perspective and experience- most notably the attitude towards Mesmers, who really were largely viewed as useless in the PvE part of the game for quite some time after it first came out.

Some of the events during the story are based on personal experience and gameplay, and within the scope of the game all of the accomplished feats in this story are, or were, entirely possible. In some cases I have invented small events that explain, or add a new layer to, dialogue in the game that occurs at a later point.

The dialogue relating to major plot events (such as cutscenes) has been left intact. I have added short interjections, and quiet exchanges between characters on the side, to make the story come alive a little better where I thought it was appropriate. Facial expressions, gestures and tone of voice are my own addition to the dialogue to flesh it out or underline the ambiguity of the events at hand.

The dialogue of the lead character can be interesting to analyse, because the lead character can be male or female in the game. I have made use of this duality to show the potential extra layers of depth of the game. Much of the game's story leaves room for various interpretations, and I hope to show that the meaning I have given the dialogue simply by placing a woman in the lead is one that other people can share.

In some cases I have continued dialogue that the game cuts off, but only in those places where I could do so without interrupting the course of the game's story or my own. The dialogue of some mission NPCs has been altered to allow for more interaction. In the game this dialogue served no other purpose than to provide a character with mission objectives, but I felt that it was necessary to change it and allow for more interaction to make the story feel like more of an actual story.

Many major and minor characters make an appearance as the story progresses. I have styled their personalities based on what is known about them. In those instances where too little was known for a clear picture I have invented a personality for them that I thought would suit them best.

Aidan, Cynn, Devona and Mhenlo are not available as henchmen in the game until the story takes the player to the Southern Shiverpeaks. However, the lore booklet that comes with the game details the events at Nolani Academy with these four heroes present. With this in mind I chose to place these characters into the story before they turn up in the game.

Henchmen and heroes are unable to carry items in the game, and rarely engage in major plot dialogue. They do not normally interact with the lead character. I have abandoned this rigidity of a game environment and given these characters the liberty of a story, so that they were able to become more than simple NPCs.

Just like every other writer out there, I have had to cut things out of the final product. Not every game event has been given the same level of detail, and not every minor character or quest made it into the final version of this story. I have chosen to make occasional references to these things instead.

~*~


Some of the history behind the main characters goes back a long way, even to before the release of Guild Wars, and their personalities are heavily influenced by earlier (short) stories about them. Upon the release of the game they found a place in the Guild Wars universe, and the game essentially fleshed their characters out to what they are now.

Lady Elvea Deimin was, is, and will always remain, a character exclusively my own. She has existed in many incarnations over time, but her appearance in this story and the personality established in it remains true to the essence of her original character.

~*~


I owe a huge thank you to my friend Sage, who inspired me to go back to playing the game, and who encouraged me to sit down and write this story. Now that I have done so I think it would have been a shame not to, and I hope you agree. This is a story that I never actually intended to write down.

I would like to dedicate this to you, Sage, with my sincerest gratitude. You remain an amazing source of inspiration.
© Copyright 2009 L.V. van Efveren (UN: elvy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.V. van Efveren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623580