*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623611
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1504110
A man's life, faith and friends change forever along with the face of the world.
#623611 added September 19, 2009 at 10:24pm
Restrictions: None
Into the Shiverpeaks
The journey out of Ascalon took longer than I expected. We travelled in small groups to avoid attracting the attention of the Charr, but we couldn't prevent the occasional clash. It was strangely satisfying to smell burnt fur, and I had to admit to myself that Orion made a useful ally on the road. Our combined firepower was quite devastating, even without the support of Alesia and Reyna or the others that travelled with us.

I was amazed at how many refugees we ran into along the way, and more than once our little group cut in to help some of them past groups of beasts they could not fight off. I had not realised the full scale of Prince Rurik's departure until I saw just what an exodus his actions had led to. It was as encouraging as it was depressing.

We could not reach the Shiverpeak Mountains in one day, so we made camp in the foothills by an abandoned shrine to Grenth. It seemed strangely appropriate to rest under the watchful eye of the lord of the dead. He had dominated our life for two years now, and he had become an almost undetectable presence. I remember a time as a child when I feared this cold god, but now I could only think of him as a comfort. He watched over the spirits of the departed, and if I prayed to him I could believe that he would look after me, too.

We departed again shortly after dawn, preparing for a long day on the road. We crossed the border of Ascalon some time around noon, and a few hours later our steady climb took us into the snowy regions that had given the Shiverpeaks their name. I was glad to have brought warm clothes. The climate of the mountains was harsh and unforgiving and it would be days before we would reach Kryta.

There were signs of struggle everywhere, and an occasional fresh mound all alone along the road reminded us that this exodus was taking its toll. By the time we reached Yak's Bend, an all but abandoned dwarven trading post, our spirits were dampened considerably even though we were reunited with many familiar faces.

It turned out that this place was where the exodus had ended, at least for now. The dwarves were caught up in some sort of civil war, and there was no safe passage through the mountains. Prince Rurik had been forced to stop and consider the safety of the people- his people. The Deldrimor Dwarves were friendly towards humans, but the Stone Summit wanted nothing to do with us and were prepared to kill us if we would not go back the way we came. It seemed we would be forced to stand and fight, and as it was few of us had the heart.

"So you have chosen to join us." I had not heard Elvea approach. I had been leaning against a fence, staring into the vale beyond, and her quiet voice had startled me. I turned around and saluted her, still trying to regain composure. Her face betrayed nothing of what she thought of my embarrassment. She gave me the slightest nod, then came to stand next to me and leaned against the fence much the same way as I had done. I wondered what she had come for.

"It seemed like the only right thing to do, Your Grace," I mumbled as I turned around and followed her lead. It was a welcome way of hiding my sudden discomfort. She didn't respond to that, apparently quite at ease letting the silence between us stretch.

"Rurik has gone ahead with a small following to meet with Jalis Ironhammer, king of the Deldrimor Dwarves," she said eventually. "He has left me in charge of the remaining forces here, but he has been gone for days and both troops and commoners are getting restless."

I had to bite my lip to force back a disappointed sigh. It seemed that once again she only saw fit to speak to me when she wanted something of me. I wondered if this was part of some sort of revenge over that infernal hairpin of hers. It didn't even seem unlikely. "You want to go and find him," I said.

She shook her head. "Finding him here and leading him back would take too long, whatever his news may be." Her eyes scanned the vale. "There is a storm coming, and Yak's Bend is hardly the place to be weathering it. I am told that one of the Stone Summit leaders, Inar Frostbite, intends to push for Yak's Bend."

The shiver going down my spine was not one caused by the cold. I could feel my hackles rising. I could tell where she was going, and I did not like it one bit. Yak's Bend wasn't very defensible to begin with, and our people weren't used to the climate. Most of us were weary. If the Stone Summit caught us here, it could easily become a massacre, and Prince Rurik's noble intentions no more than another bloody page in the history of Ascalon.

She continued. "Most of our people are waiting for Rurik to return not far from here, close to Borlis Pass, but it is no safer there than it is here. I've come to gather what people are still here, and I intend to push on to Kryta as soon as possible."

"Without the prince?" I asked incredulously.

"With or without Rurik." She sounded determined. "He would do the same if he were in my place. We simply can't afford to linger here."

"You said a storm is coming. People will surely die in it." I had to question her plan. Images of small mounds beside the road were fresh in my mind.

"People have died already," she said. "More people will die regardless of what I do. The only question is the number of people that will die because of the decisions I make in Rurik's absence." She was calm and collected, and nothing about her betrayed any sort of emotion. I had to admire her level-headed way of making decisions like this one. I was certain I couldn't do the same.

"So you will push through to Borlis Pass, even through a blizzard." I still couldn't believe it.

"Would you prefer to stay for the massacre of our people when the Stone Summit get here?" She studied a slender gold ring she wore over her glove, and she looked almost absentminded.

I suppressed the urge to sigh, and shook my head. "I did not leave the Charr behind me just to be killed by dwarves instead," I said.

She nodded. "Pack your things and get ready to leave," she said. "Your friends are waiting for you."

She walked away again. I wondered if there would ever be a time when she chose to address me for something other than business. Somehow she kept finding ways to order me around, and in the process I kept feeling like I was something less than human to her. Was I as expendable to her as everyone else seemed to be? Was I really nothing more than a means to an end?

~*~


It wasn't far to the place where most of our fellow refugees had made camp. People were huddling together around fires for some additional protection against the cold, and everywhere around us there were people preparing for battle. It was clear that we were getting ready to make a stand, possibly on the road if we needed to. There were no tents in sight, so I had to assume that we wouldn't be staying the night.

There were a few hours left before dusk, but I was already tired and really wanted to take some time to rest. Unfortunately it seemed I wasn't going to be allowed that. The instant I sat down on a rock near a fire I saw Elvea approach, and I had no choice but to get up and salute her. I suppressed a sigh for the third time that day. No rest any time soon, then.

She hardly acknowledged it, instead scanning the faces of my companions. She was tapping her foot impatiently, and I wondered if we had somehow offended her or done something wrong. She folded her arms across her chest and let her eyes wander over me before they moved on again.

"I suppose you will have to do," she said after a while. I had to fight back my irritation at her dismissive tone.

"What for?" asked Orion. He put on the smile he used for all the women he dealt with, but unlike most women it did nothing to warm Elvea. "I assure you, my lady, I am more than capable of-"

"Carrying a magic torch," she cut in smoothly. I wasn't sure what was better to behold: Orion's surprise at being interrupted, or his outrage at being assigned what seemed to be a very menial task. I hid a smirk. "Thank you for volunteering."

He blinked at her. "You're… very welcome, Your Grace," he said.

She turned her attention to the rest of us, beckoning four of us closer. I approached along with Alesia, Reyna, and a Warrior I had come to know as Stefan. "The four of you will accompany me and my torch-bearer," she said.

Orion was still sorting out his facial expression as he took his cue to join the little group. He didn't look happy at all, but at least he had the good sense not to object. "So what is the plan, exactly?" he asked.

"There are Storm Beacons at regular intervals along the way to Borlis Pass," she explained. "There was a time when Ascalon still traded frequently with the Deldrimor Dwarves, and they would light the beacons for us when they knew we were coming. Unfortunately we rarely trade nowadays, and even if we did, the Dwarves are too caught up in their war to have time to light the beacons… I intend to see to it myself."

"And this will allow for safe passage?" Alesia asked.

"As safe as can be expected for passage during a snowstorm," Elvea answered. "It has worked in the past, and there is no reason to believe that it will not work now. The beacons will allow our people to find their way. All we need to do is go ahead and light the beacons for them."

"Won't the storm extinguish the fire?" Stefan asked.

She gave him a withering look. "The beacons aren't made of ordinary pyres," she said. "Once lit, they will stay on regardless of the weather."

"And we're to escort Orion as he lights them," Reyna said.

Elvea nodded. "The Stone Summit won't expect us to push through Borlis Pass tonight, but even if we encounter no dwarves, the Shiverpeaks are still dangerous. I am told the pass is home to many Centaurs and they have no fondness for our kind either. We will have to be on our guard."

"When do we leave?" I asked.

"Right now." She turned and strode off, and the five of us went after her like a little flock of sheep. This mission wasn't going to be easy and none of us looked forward to passing through a blizzard, but it was all we could do to survive at all. Lady Elvea was a demanding woman, but we accepted it from her because at least her objectives had all been reasonable enough thus far.

She passed on some orders and moved through the camp quickly. It wasn't long before we left it behind us, looking at a road ahead that seemed almost entirely desolate. Clouds were beginning to gather and it was getting late in the day, but there was little choice for us other than to press on and ensure safe passage for our countrymen. A lone sentry passed on the magic torch to Orion, and then we truly left everything we knew behind us.

The first part of the journey was uneventful, and we reached the first beacon without running into any kind of trouble. Orion used the torch to light it, and soon the enchanted flame burned brightly. Perhaps this drew the attention of enemies, because not long after that, we ran into trouble for the first time. A small band of centaurs headed our way, and they didn't look as if they intended to stop and have a friendly chat with us.

They exchanged no words at all with us, not wasting a breath even to tell us to leave their territory. As soon as they were in range they attacked and all we could do was fight back and dispose of them. I actually welcomed the short skirmish. It was getting colder, and any excuse to resort to using my fire magic was a welcome one. We left the centaur bodies behind us and moved on.

The road became harder with every beacon we lit. It was clear that it was drawing enemies to us and we frequently had to stop to fight. With the wind picking up and the first snow falling from the sky it was increasingly tiring, but we took comfort in the knowledge that anything that attacked us now would not live to attack our countrymen later.

After some time we could hear noise ahead of us. At first we didn't think much of it, but as we got closer we realised that it wasn't just the wind playing tricks on us. There was a battle ahead and it was quite possible that we would have to go right through the thick of it. Elvea raised a gloved hand and we halted, huddling together for warmth now that we were no longer moving. Orion kept a firm grip on the torch.

"We should be nearing Krok's Hollow," she said. "By the sound of it it's under siege."

That didn't bode well at all. "What do we do, then?" I asked.

"Your Grace!" A figure came running at us from somewhere, although with the increasing amount of falling snow things were becoming somewhat disorienting. I guessed he was some sort of scout. The man halted just before Elvea and saluted. "Guard Tolis, Your Grace, at your service."

She nodded. "At ease."

He looked hesitantly at the five of us, then back at her. "It's the Stone Summit, Your Grace. They're inside Maladar's Fort and have put Krok's Hollow under siege."

"We gathered," she said dryly.

"Your Grace," the man said miserably, "Prince Rurik is there, with King Jalis."

"What?" She settled a glare on him that made him take several steps back.

"The Prince, Your Grace, at Krok's Hollow. Under siege." He was close to whimpering. In all fairness, if I were him, I'd probably be whimpering to.

She gestured impatiently at Orion, and he hurried forward. "Take this torch," she said to the guard. "Stay here. There will be people on the road following the magic fire and I need you to ensure that they will not wander into the battle."

He took the torch reluctantly, looking from Elvea to Orion and back to Elvea. "Yes, ma'am."

"And what of us now?" Orion hazarded.

She was already moving past the guard. "We're going into the fort to break the siege," she said.

"Ma'am, that's madness!" Tolis called after her. "Even if you get in you're outnumbered! It can't be done!"

"We'll see about that." The five of us were already going after her. We knew better than to tell her something couldn't be done. It only hardened her resolve.

We headed in the direction of the fort, although at a slower pace than before. The only one moving with certainty in her step was Elvea. I was never quite sure if she was a brilliant tactician, or simply stark raving mad and very, very lucky. I wondered if she had a plan to get in unseen somehow. She couldn't know the terrain any better than we did, but it didn't seem to give her pause.

"Halt." It wasn't really a voice so much as a menacing growl that drew our attention. We could see a gate some way away, but separating us from our goal was a group of dwarves who were armed to the teeth and didn't look like they were on our side. I was certain that their eyes were glowing in faces largely hidden by their helmets.

Elvea stopped and fixed her gaze on their leader. She may not have had glowing eyes, but she didn't need that quality to be intimidating. She didn't take well to being ordered around. It was something that she did to others. I don't think even Prince Rurik would consider giving her orders. This dwarf had made a grave mistake by doing so, and the contempt in her gaze was almost tangible. The dwarf gripped his staff tightly, and behind him his company were raising bows and axes.

Diplomacy was clearly also something that happened to other people. She had been lightly tapping her boot with the end of her staff, but now she looked ready to use it and she gave the dwarf a challenging look. I wasn't sure what good her staff would be. Conjuring up illusions had worked well enough to divert the Charr, but this was an open battle and I had a hard time believing that imaginary weaponry could hurt anyone. At best she could hit the dwarf on the head with that staff.

I'm not certain what exactly happened next. It happened too fast. The dwarf leader had been preparing some sort of spell. He was an Elementalist like myself, although I was unfamiliar with his magic. He never got it off. In the blink of an eye he was thrown backwards by some invisible force, and then the battle erupted. Arrows accompanied the charge of the warriors, and we found ourselves frantically dodging the attacks of the small furies coming for us.

It was hard for me to stop dodging long enough to cast spells, but Stefan charged in and drew the dwarves away from me then. I summoned a fire storm, and so did Orion. The tide of battle turned, and not long after that we were catching our breath among dwarf corpses. Elvea was already moving again, scanning the site. While we rested on some rocks, she managed to find some kegs that she apparently considered useful. She beckoned Stefan over and had him drag them to the gates.

"Take cover," she said as she approached us.

"What?" I frowned.

"Do it. Now." We huddled behind the rock formation we had been sitting on and she knelt beside me. "Light it."

"The kegs?" I asked.

"No, these rocks," she said flatly. "Remember to duck."

I hid my embarrassment and looked at the kegs. I summoned a flame and sent it towards them, then quickly hid behind the rocks. Not much later the pile exploded with a loud bang, sending the rubble flying. I wanted to get up, but Elvea put her hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down. She was watching the scene carefully from where she sat, remaining hidden as much as possible.

"It's safe," she said after a while. "There must be less of them than I thought, or they would not focus the entire force on the siege." She got up and headed towards what remained of the gate. We quickly followed her, eager to get moving again. It was starting to get dark.

A good portion of the fortress turned out to be empty. I was certain the Stone Summit troops must have heard the blast, but it was becoming clear that they weren't as strong a force here as we had feared. Even so, we took no risk. We made our way through the fortress carefully, taking out what forces we found. We dismantled some siege weapons along the way, just in case.

Eventually we came to a downward slope, taking out the small groups manning and guarding the ballistae firing at the Krok's Hollow gates. The sudden relative silence clearly confused the enemy below us, but they were too caught up in the battle for a quick withdrawal.

"Let's make this quick," Elvea said.

I blinked at her. We'd lessened the Stone Summit numbers significantly, but we were still outnumbered even if we counted the dwarves defending the gates to be on our side. "There's at least six of them for each of us," I pointed out.

"Even so, we have the element of surprise and the momentum of their confusion. We must break this siege now." She nodded at Stefan, and he immediately ran downhill. She fell in close behind him, and the rest of us had no choice but to follow.

She was right, of course. She seemed to possess the irritating ability to always be right about whatever point she chose to argue. In this case it was a relief because it meant our survival, but for the most part it was vexing. She knew she'd be right and her attitude reflected it. I hated it about her, but at the same time I found it immensely intriguing. It made me wonder how she could always be so certain. Was it insight, or sheer force of will?

The gates opened almost as soon as the last hostile dwarf fell to our attacks, and we rushed in quickly in case reinforcements arrived. There was no telling how long this moment's reprieve would last, and we didn't exactly wish to be caught outside as more troops poured in. The dwarves closed the gates right behind us, and we stood still for a moment, catching our breath.

"Ah, my good and excellent friends!" We turned around to see Prince Rurik approach.

"Rurik!" Elvea stepped forward to greet him. She wanted to say something, but he cut her off before she could start.

"I got pinned down here in Krok's Hollow when the Stone Summit attacked," he said.

"Good thing we arrived when we did," she replied. She sounded annoyed, which was a strange contrast with the vague hint of worry on her face. I was halfway expecting her to strangle the prince on the spot.

"I owe you many thanks," Prince Rurik said. He seemed to be ignoring her attitude entirely. I wondered how he managed it. "I would raise a pint of Dwarven Ale in your honour, but there is still much work to do."

"Perhaps when everyone is safely through Borlis Pass," she said.

He nodded. "Agreed. But now I must go back and lead our people to Grooble's Gulch. You go on ahead and clear the way. Secure us shelter for the night, and then we'll see about that ale."

"As you wish, my prince." Her tone was deferential, but her face remained blank. She saluted him. Something about her manner struck me as odd, but I couldn't quite put my finger to it.

"Talk to King Ironhammer," Prince Rurik went on. "He'll help you garner safe passage into the Gulch. I will see you there."

She nodded and set out to find the king without another word. I followed her quietly, the other four falling in behind me. I had a feeling there would be more battles along the way, and we were most useful to the prince if we continued to help the duchess. She was approached by a dwarf in full armour, and I deduced from his regal bearing that this had to be King Jalis. There was nothing else that distinguished him from any of the other dwarves, though. They all looked the same to me.

"The good Dwarves of Deldrimor thank you for your help," he said to her.

She gave a slight nod. "We do what we can to honour the old alliances."

King Jalis smiled. At least, I think he did. It was hard to tell what facial expressions hid behind that beard. "Then the Deldrimor Dwarves will honour them as well. Your prince's request for passage through the mountains has been granted."

The king gestured to a dwarf near him, who carried a torch remarkably similar to the one Orion had been carrying before. This one had a blue flame, and I suspected its magic would be more potent. I was surprised to find Orion stepping forward to go and take the torch before he had been ordered to do so. It was strange to see him eager to perform such a mundane task, but his smug look told me that he was probably hoping to score some points with the women.

"Take this enchanted torch and light the beacons outside Grooble's Gulch," the king went on. "My brother, Brechnar Ironhammer, will open the gate for you once he sees the arcane flame. Your people will be safe in the Gulch for the night."

Elvea moved her head just a little, but it was enough to let Orion know that he was to take the torch. He flashed her a grin that left her entirely unimpressed, then he took the torch and waited silently by her side. I had to hide a smirk when I saw his frustration. She ignored him and gave King Jalis a slight nod. "Thank you, King Ironhammer."

He returned her little nod. "Anything for our friends. Now, waste no more time here. Night will be upon you, and your people will freeze in the cold without shelter. Follow me to the gate."

It was an odd new experience to watch her being ordered around by others, and stranger still that she wasn't objecting. Our little group followed Elvea and King Jalis quietly to the gates, and waited for them to open as the dwarves worked a complicated contraption. Elvea was talking quietly to the king as we waited, occasionally nodding to something that was said.

I was used to her being either bossy or defiant, or both at once. Even when Prince Rurik ordered her around she somehow maintained an air of defiance, although she did as she was told. With King Jalis it was different. She was listening politely, and she did not challenge anything that was said- at least not visibly. Perhaps she was more of a diplomat than any of us would give her credit for.

The gates opened far enough for us to pass through and we departed swiftly, taking no time for goodbyes. We were in a hurry and we wanted to believe that we would be reunited with our friends very soon. We needed to believe that we would, if only so we would not falter in our steps. There was less than an hour of daylight left. The mountain peaks cast long shadows and it was getting even colder. The wind was getting strong now, and there was a lot of snowfall. I hoped that it wasn't too far to Grooble's Gulch.

Our departure turned out to be more of a sortie than I had expected. Once through the gates we were joined by a squad of dwarves and it wasn't long after that when we encountered the first foes. The Stone Summit was clearly unprepared and we defeated the surprised group with little effort. As we progressed we ran into more allies, most of them only just managing to stay on even footing against the Summit. It was clear that they would not have lasted much longer without our aid.

I was glad when I could make out the shape of the great Storm Beacons after a trek of just over half an hour. We had to go uphill and through some very angry Stone Summit Dwarves who had the advantage of the high ground, but we had numbers now and that counted for a lot. When we finally made it uphill Orion lit the three smaller beacons that set a larger one in the centre aflame. We looked down to the fortified town that I guessed was Grooble's Gulch, and then we waited.

The gates opened not much later. Presumably the dwarves inside had needed some time to decide if we were friend or foe, but I was glad that they had made up their minds and considered us friends. We made our way downhill at a slower pace than before. We were all exhausted and there were no immediate threats. We could afford to take a little time now, even as more and more snow fell from the heavens.

We were only just down the hill again when Prince Rurik caught up with us. He was followed by the greater part of the Ascalon stragglers, and I wondered how quickly after us he had left Krok's Hollow. He may not have needed to stop and fight, or climb the great hill of the beacons, but he had clearly not waited very long. We passed through the gates with the prince, and were greeted by a group of friendly-looking dwarves. One of them stepped forward.

"I am Brechnar Ironhammer, Lord of Grooble's Gulch," he said.

Prince Rurik saluted him. "I am Rurik of Ascalon. Your brother, the king, speaks highly of your hospitality."

"My brother tells the truth," Brechnar replied. "What brings you here?"

The prince gestured at the people crowding in behind us. "I am leading these refugees over the Shiverpeaks. We wish to cross Borlis Pass into the human Kingdom of Kryta."

Brechnar nodded. "Well then, Rurik of Ascalon, welcome to Grooble's Gulch. You are free to stay with us as long as you will."

Prince Rurik smiled. "Thank you, mountain friend. Rin is forever in your debt."

"Our debt is equal," Brechnar said. "We would not have regained this territory so easily without your aid. We have prepared quarters for you and your followers. They should be large enough even for humans."

"That is most kind of you," said the prince.

"Captain, lead these people to the quarters we made ready." Brechnar beckoned another dwarf closer.

"Follow me," he said.

We started moving again, Elvea parting from our group to catch up to the prince. "I believe you promised me a pint of ale," she said.

He smiled. "Yes, I believe I did."

I sighed. It was amazing how easily she could forget the people who helped her on her ventures. I could understand that she wanted to spend time with the man who was perhaps now her only living friend, but I hated that she apparently considered the people she ordered around to be insignificant. I watched her walk off with the prince and turned to my friends.

"Not bad for a day's hard work," I said.

"I think tomorrow and the days after will be harder still," Alesia said pensively. "We are not through the Pass yet, and I don't think the Summit will yield so easily."

"The prince will have a plan," Stefan said as he sat down on a large rock by a fire. "He would not lead us through this icy trial if he didn't."

"Lady Elvea would," Orion snorted as he sat down next to him. "She's a pretty thing, but if you ask me she's a few sticks short of a bundle."

I scowled at him. "Just because she does not disclose her plans does not mean she goes without them," I said.

Orion smirked at me. "Yes, I thought you might say that."

"I'm not the one carrying torches around just so I'll have a chance to-"

"Gentlemen!" Reyna interrupted me and glared at both of us. "That's quite enough. Settle down, we're all tired."

~*~


The blizzard went on and on, and it remained unsafe to continue. Now that we had shelter, we could afford to wait it out. Even the Stone Summit had to sway to the storm and so the days that followed were uneventful. It was the third night when the storm finally died down, and I took the opportunity to explore the town a little.

It was quiet, the only sound coming from the fires in the town square, occasionally accompanied by a half-drunken roar from one of the surrounding buildings. The town had been built for defence. There was little there for leisure, not even much to keep soldiers happy. I wandered through the abandoned streets, then I made my way up a slope that would lead near the top of the walls. I hoped it would give a good view of the surroundings.

I slowed down when I heard voices. As I got closer I saw that they belonged to Prince Rurik and Lady Elvea, and I decided not to approach. They were leaning on the wall, each of them holding a large mug. The wall on this side was little more than a fence to prevent people from wandering off down a sheer cliff into a large vale below, and they gazed down at it as they talked to each other. I stayed out of sight in the shadows, but did my best to catch what they were saying.

"We will have to depart again soon, while the good weather lasts," Prince Rurik observed.

Elvea nodded. "These mountains are known for their unforgiving climate. I would hate to be caught in another storm."

"We are trapped in the midst of a civil war as it is," the prince said. "We will have to fight our way to Kryta and the Summit will be looking to avenge their losses on us. That is quite the storm even without the weather adding to the fray."

She sipped at her drink. "I presume you have a plan?"

He shrugged. "Hardly. The Stone Summit holds the Frost Gate, and we cannot bypass it if we wish to get to Kryta. I am told it is hard to take back, and according to the scouts Dagnar Stonepate himself is there."

"The leader of the Summit in person?" She looked up from her drink to meet his eyes. I wasn't sure, but I thought that she looked worried.

"Yes. King Jalis's own cousin. He considers humans a taint he needs to eradicate, and now that the king has openly aided us, he will be relentless. He must know that we are looking to take the Gate from him, and the only way of negotiating he knows is the violent way." He shook his head a little. "We will have to risk facing him."

"So you intend to lead a sortie, to storm the Gate?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Not quite. We cannot endanger the women and children, or the frail and the sick now among us. I want to create a diversion."

She eyed him suspiciously. "How?"

"I want you to lead what forces we have to meet the Summit. They will be glad to get face to face with you, I am certain. You will draw the attention of the Summit and press on to the Gate. You should be able to open it from the outside, there is a mechanism the Stone Summit is not aware of. The Gate will be heavily guarded on either side, but the Five Gods willing, you will make it inside."

"And you?" she asked.

"I will follow you with the caravan, taking with me those who cannot fight. We will look after the supplies. If you divert the Summit well enough, we will remain undetected and will be able to pass safely. I depend on you to lead the attack successfully." He put his hand over hers.

"What if you are attacked?" she said fiercely. "What if they detect you and decide you are a better target? What then? You will be defenceless!"

"I will take some guards with me. I have faith in your abilities. I trust you to divert the Summit, and I assure you that you need not worry," he said calmly. "This will work. I promise."

She shook her head and scowled at him. "I don't like this plan. You are reckless, Rurik, you put us all at risk with your behaviour. I did not come with you just to follow a fool."

"I fight for my people, for their freedom. I will take them to lands free from strife," he said.

"However far that journey may take you?" She was clearly angry. The hand Prince Rurik had covered with his own was twitching, and I wondered if he had done it just so she could not slap him.

"To the other side of the world, if need be," he said. She glared at him but did not reply, and then she looked away.

There was a long silence as they both stared down into the valley. Eventually she spoke, in that soft and calm tone of hers that somehow forced you to pay attention. "There are some among us who simply struggle to survive," she said, "and there are those of us who dance with Death." She looked up at the prince again.

He met her gaze steadily. "And which of the two might you be?" he asked. "We are not so different, you and I."

"Are we not?" She withdrew her hand from underneath his. "I am not the one of the two of us who has chosen to court Grenth after the death of my beloved."

I was shocked to hear her say this, and Prince Rurik was visibly hurt. He looked away. "Do not bring Althea into this. It is true that I miss her, but I would never seek to join her so soon. She would not want me to. You know better than this, Elvea."

She looked down. "I'm sorry," she said quietly. I could barely hear it from where I stood, and I wondered if I hadn't imagined it.

He nodded, the look on his face softening to genuine concern. "You are tired, and worried, and the strain of recent events is taking its toll on you. Get some rest while you can. I need you at full strength."

"Good night, then," she said.

"Sleep well," he replied.

She gave him a slight nod and walked away from the prince, in my direction. I quickly got moving again, to make it seem as if I was only just approaching. She caught my arm in passing, and I turned to look her in the eyes. She was angry, but clearly too tired for one of her unsettling glares.

"Eavesdropping is rude," she hissed at me. "Pray to Dwayna that I may never catch you at it again, or you will be needing her mercy when I'm through with you."

She released my arm and stalked off, leaving me in stunned silence. I was certain she could not have seen me. How had she known that I was there? Had she known all along, or had she pieced it together somehow as she walked away from the prince? I bit my lip and watched her go, then looked to where the prince still stood and decided it was best to go back the way I came. I did not think Rurik wanted to be disturbed.
© Copyright 2009 L.V. van Efveren (UN: elvy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.V. van Efveren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623611