*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/627034-Ring-Out-the-Old---Number-4
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#627034 added December 31, 2008 at 5:36pm
Restrictions: None
Ring Out the Old - Number 4
Hard to believe this will be my fourth New Year's Eve entry as a citizen of Blogville and even harder to believe I can remember writing the one last year as if it was yesterday. Evidence time flies by faster as we age.

Much as I don't advocate wishing time away, it would be dishonest of me not to admit I'll be glad to see the back of 2008. Not that I don't have reservations and fears as to what another new year may bring, but this last one has been particularly painful.

I don't suppose there are many who can say they lost their Mum and became a grandma in the space of three weeks. I always like to do things a little differently, but the emotional roller coaster of that phase is still causing tremors. Concerns and worries around our son's family situation are not ones that will disappear as a new year dawns either, but it is not my place to make predictions or try to look too far into the future.

Of course there have been some good phases and meeting Nada and Lance in London last September has to be the highlight of the year. Who could have imagined such a thing when we first started out blogging many moons ago?

Proof none of us know what lies ahead and life will continue to throw nasty shocks and pleasant surprises at us regardless of any plans we make. Letting go and allowing things to progress as they will isn't easy, but something I'm prepared to work on. One day at a time has to be my mantra.

Today is already dark and has been bitterly cold with no warmth to thaw the heavy frost. I plan on doing little else now apart from cooking dinner, phoning my sister and maybe participating in a few, wee drinkies. Maybe? Who am I kidding? Of course, I'll be thinking of my Mum as the clock strikes midnight and no doubt shedding more tears, but along with the sadness I know she would want me to cling onto hope. She often said it's the one thing we can always retain.

Thank you to all of you who have helped me through the trials and tribulations of the past year, as well as sharing my joys. May you enjoy your evening no matter how you celebrate and all good wishes to you and yours for the coming year.

It seems weird I'll be in 2009 for a few hours before most of you, but it's a good excuse to keep topping up the glass until you all arrive...cheers...hic.



© Copyright 2008 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/627034-Ring-Out-the-Old---Number-4