*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628480-Who-taught-whom
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #1500483
Items written for the various flash fiction challenges, whenever the muse strikes.
#628480 added January 8, 2009 at 3:43am
Restrictions: None
Who taught whom?
“Don’t slide down the hallway in your socks!”

No wonder they never last through the month.

“Sorry, Ma. But it’s almost as good as roller-skating.”

“I suppose we can cross skates off Santa’s list then?”

“I said almost, just as bakery cakes are almost as good as yours.”

“Thank you for the compliment young man, flattery will get you everywhere.”

“Is that a cake I smell? C’mon in guys, I told you she was baking a cake today.”

There go dinner plans for at least four more mothers. They won’t speak to me for days.

"Ravi, if you are hungry, dinner will be ready in another half hour. Or you could help yourself to carrot sticks"

What is it with mothers and carrots? Does she think I am a rabbit? How do I make her understand tasty is good, but 'healthy' is neither.

"Mom, I am not hungry for dinner yet, I'm just hungry for cake."

Irrefutable child logic and beseeching eyes will do it every time. Maybe Hitler's mom could withstand it, I sure can't.

“Ravi, you and your friends must understand cakes taste best when cool.”

“But is it ready to eat? Can I get out the plates? Is there enough for all of us?”

Yes! The more reluctant one is, the more determined the wooing.

“Well, the knife may not be able to make clean cuts in a warm cake, but I don’t suppose you mind the shape of the slices. Be careful, let it cool a little.”

“Don’t cry Simi, I’m coming to you, there. Here’s yours Mani.”

Reluctant Ravi is unconsciously playing the 'gentleman' I look for in vain most days .

“Here are forks or spoons if you prefer.”

“No thanks, Mom. This tastes best when eaten with the fingers.”

This is my day for compliments, but he doesn’t realise that it was one.

“Thishus goophmom”

“Don’t talk with your mouth full, Ravi.”

“I only said this was good. Yum, I love your cakes.”

Do they use siphons? It’s taken barely 90 seconds to polish off that lot

“Pile the dirty dishes in the sink, kids. ‘Bye now.”

Hmm, not a one dish has a single crumb sticking to it. I guess if I want the kids to clean their plates of food, I should make sure I give them food for which they will clean the plate! But the last laugh is mine, the cake was made with five-grain flour and it had the carrots they otherwise despise. The way to a kid’s stomach is through his mother’s devious mind.


(442words)
Written for
FORUM
The Dialogue 500  (18+)
Dialogues of 500 words or less.
#941862 by W.D.Wilcox

Prompt - Write a dialogue-only tale about teaching someone a lesson.
© Copyright 2009 Just an Ordinary Boo! (UN: jyo_an at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Just an Ordinary Boo! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628480-Who-taught-whom