*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/632174
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1508687
Belle is stunned by the new kid. Is there more to him than meets the eye?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#632174 added January 27, 2009 at 12:36pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4: Last Stand
Nathec's instincts had been right. He should have never come back. He walked to a nearby pub. The villigers hushed as he stepped inside. They were suspicious, of course. Desdemona had sent her spies throughout the royal city. People eyed him warily and whispers were stirred up like the dust off the floor. He ignored their piercing stares and walked to a conceled door behind the bar. He knocked three times and whispered a word of the ancient launguege to the door. It swung open with a creak. Conversation in the pub swelled once again. The door swung closed behind him.


         "Lord Nathec, we have eagerly awaited your return." a voice slid out of the shadows. The shadows parted and two figures emerged. One was a tall, dark haired man with a streak of silver in his hair. The other was a woman, also tall with reddish-brown hair.


         "King Titus, Queen Lilian, I regret coming back but as always it is a pleasure to be in your company." Nathec replied. The queen looked worried.


         "How is Prince Braedyn? Did he find the Savior yet?" the king asked.


         "King Titus, the Savior is but a prophecy. We should not get the common folks hopes up only to be crushed by false lies." Nathec explained.


         "Lord Nathec, why do you have to be so pessimistic?" asked Queen Lilian.


         "I am not being pessimistic, I am being rational. Prince Braedyn is fine." he replied calmly.


         "Thank you for your services Lord Nathec. You may leave." King Titus growled.


         "Thank you my king." Nathec bowed and left the room. The peasents stared at him. He returned their gaze with icy glare. He stormed out of pub. What did they expect? The Savior was but just a rumor spread by commonfolk. Most likely it had been started by Desdemona's spies to ensure more misery. He walked to the edge of town without a backward glance. His horse was waiting at a nearby hut. He hopped on and sped out of town to the woods. Nobody was supposed to come to these woods. Townfolk said they were haunted.


         "What a bunch of simple-minded fools." Nathec whispered. A shadow departed in front of him making his horse rear up. It tossed him to the ground and ran like the devil was after it. The shadow crept closer to Nathec.


         "I've been waiting for you, scum." said the creature. The shadow lowered it's hood. It's grotesque face twisted into a smile.


         "It's time you come with me. You would be helpful to my mistress." it whispered.


         "I would never betray the king and queen." Nathec replied.


         "Then why do you speak so poorly of them? Are you... jealous, perhaps? Or maybe your heart is telling you to take the Oath." it's voice slithered toward him and pierced his heart.


         "No." Nathec replied coldly.


         "Then you will die." Glimmering in the light, the long curved blade of the sword was raised in the air. It cut through the air and pierced Nathec's heart. His scream's echoed through the air. Nobody could hear his dying cries so deep in the woods. The blade slipped out of Nathec's body. The creature bent over his body and sweeped it's hand over his face. When the creature stood up, it had the face of Lord Nathec.
© Copyright 2009 FamousUndead (UN: famousundead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
FamousUndead has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/632174