*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634189-Chapter-Ten
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Theino
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1492741
An interactive web-based fantasy novel, readers vote on what happens in the next chapter
#634189 added February 6, 2009 at 1:18am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Ten
Chapter Ten





Darkness covered the clearing, as if Caddock had finally swallowed the last sun, just as black figures crested the sand walls.


Shouts and cries of ‘orcs’ thundered across the dune-bowl as the black fog made it impossible to see outside the hole they found themselves in. Some gnomes cowered, while most raised their weapons ready to fight whatever presence enveloped them.


Kenrick watched the turmoil of the gnomes. They were unable to comprehend what was happening before their eyes; how these beasts could control the light that would so easily burn their blackened skin. His guard stood before him, weapon raised, unsure of who to challenge.


“Stop your useless banter!”


As the voice once again projected across the clearing, the orcs above them hissed as a flicker in the fog caused light to touch their sensitive skin. Several lurched forwards but were stayed by an invisible hand. Two gnomes yelped from the middle of the throng.


“Or I will lose them upon you.”


Kenrick now searched above him, looking for any evidence of man or beast that was not orc. His eyes fell from one orc to another; blackened skin, burnt by any seed of light, boney limbs and torsos starved of sustenance, claws for hands, and ears tipped in the same way as the elves. Maybe they are true, he thought as he considered the legends of Omerean’s power twisting his elvin followers.


Over sixty of the beasts edged the sand rims of the bowl. Two were enough to rip apart the entire gnome tribe.


Someone controlled the unbridled aphonic beasts. But who could do such a thing? Kenrick saw the gnome chief step forward.


“What is it you want?” the cane in his hand trembled, spraying waves of sand to the side as he walked.


“For you to do my bidding,” the voice absorbed into the sand.


A quick shock of silence followed.


“Only Omerean may command the Garromes!”


“Garromes!” A wall of wind blew into the bowl, knocking the chief off balance.


“You abandoned that name when you betrayed the dwarves, just as Omerean has abandoned you.


“Betray-”


“Silence.


“You know not what you say. I am Trendal, Omerean speaks through me. I am his right hand- no, his right side.


“This Plight of yours is useless. Your tribes will fall, even with the added strength of my elvin armies and breeded orcs you may parish. The Hilroy kingdom is too strong for you puny gnomes.”


“Omerean has commanded us. We march now,”


“Omerean cannot command you. Be silent.” Again the fog flickered, but for a second longer than the last time. The orcs yelped as smoke rose from their burning flesh.


“To resurrect him would surely be a miracle. For he is too far-gone, his father has recalled him. But I am here in his stead. Here to crush his foes and wipe the name Caddock from the history of the lands.”


Unexpected cheers welled into the air as the gnomes heard what the voice said.


“As his right hand, I tell you to march east, into the Fells. Along the way, destroy the weak bands of plainsmen and the farmers of the Fells. And when you reach the bottom of the Ilmaren Mountains, enter... and destroy the last of the starving dwarves.”


More cheers.


“The tribe you were to meet is already marching east at my command.


“I am Omerean’s right arm, what say you?” There was silence in the bowl, and another flicker of the fog.








A. The gnome chief leapt forward, cane pointed straight into the sky, threatening to puncture the black fog. “How dare you!”


B. A great cheer spread from each of the gnomes. The gnome chief wavered his rigid stance, “As you wish,”








Brock Sansome


Author of The Spheres of Caddock series and the interactive web-based novel The Chronicles of Kenrick.


www.brocksansome.com
© Copyright 2009 Theino (UN: theino at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Theino has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634189-Chapter-Ten