*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634456
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1390542
Action / Adventure Newsletters, and others, when i'm the guest editor.
#634456 added March 5, 2009 at 10:58am
Restrictions: None
March 4th Action/Adventure NL
The highest point in TN
Hiking. It's MY Action/Adventure!


Never confuse movement with action." --Ernest Hemingway (1899 - 1961)


Readers love action. Scenes rich with physical struggles, verbal confrontations, and near death escapes. They love fistfights, boxing matches, schoolyard scraps. Parachute jumps, dare devil pilot maneuvers made under enemy gunfire. They love ferocious snarling bears and vicious crocodiles show with sharp teeth…fangs coming close to sinking into flesh. However, more than action, readers love a good solid story. One where the plot moves along with rhythm; where characters and setting make sense and the conflict builds, climaxes and is resolved.

In other words, inserting action or adventure into your piece just for action's sake does nothing to further your story's progression. In fact, such “moves” can do the opposite. One intricately developed battle scene may scores points with description, and may even pique your reader's interest; but, if combat doesn't fit into your story’s plot, you run the risk of losing your reader.

Before including the bear attack, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Does the scene contribute to the overall look, feel, and progression of my story?
2. Will the reader understand and accept the scene at this particular part in my story?

After you've determined your scene's relevance, consider making your adventures pull double duty. How? Easy, with a little forethought, you can create scenes complimenting your plot, setting, characters, etc.

Symbolism - using symbolism adds a whole new dimension to your work. Deciding on which action events to include can be narrowed down if you remember to consider symbolism. For example, what weapon(s), the battlefield's location, is the commander present?

Scheduling - Choose movements underscoring your plot twists. If you know your main character will attempt to break into the office during off hours, rumage around in a co-worker's desk, then exit the building before being noticed...decide on when this will happen. Will opening your story up with these words enhance the scene's believability? Will this particular scene placed here pique the reader's curiosity?

Character development - Can incorporating certain hurdles help your readers discover who the main character really is? For instance, does Marcus need to confront the schoolyard bully in the playground? Or, would having him rescue his elderly neighbor from a fire show the reader who he really is. Maybe, as a writer, it's more to have Marcus tackle the bully, but the story screams for the fire rescue.

Action scenes pulling double duty not only sharpen dimension add/give/provide a three dimensional feel, engage readers, they round out your story. And remember the words of Ernest Hemingway, "Never confuse movement with action."





 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1147729 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1464820 by Not Available.

 Chapter 1  (13+)
This is the first chapter, including the prologue, to the book I am writing.
#1405480 by Rachel Kelley

STATIC
The Heroes of Corvus: Roulette (Preview)  (13+)
A contract villain investigates the cause of a former opponent's death.
#1261888 by Patricia Gilliam

The Not So Calm Before the Storm  (13+)
An odd group of birdwatchers take shelter and trouble brews.
#1347549 by Sssssh! I'm not really here.


© Copyright 2009 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634456