*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/639623-That-Personal-Touch
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#639623 added March 9, 2009 at 7:48pm
Restrictions: None
That Personal Touch
A while ago I casually mentioned in one of my blog entries that I was looking into selling my Beatle's Memorabilia. I found the reactions in the comments quite intriguing, ranging from go for it to to sorrow that I should part with something so precious.

Yes, that era is very dear to my heart and I'm honoured to have grown up in England during the sixties when The Beatles were in their prime. I saw them several times live on stage, visited their childhood homes in Liverpool and probably failed many exams at school due to my obsession with them as opposed to mathematical equations and scientific formulas. But I wouldn't change a thing, apart from sticking some of my most rare items down with sellotape. Hindsight and all that.

My collection of records, books, programmes, ticket stubs, magazines, trading cards and many other items has resided in a box for many, many years and hardly been looked at. To be quite honest I don't think it would give me much pleasure to study the items too closely. Two of the group are no longer with us and that wonderful era spent with my Mum and friends I'd rather keep alive in my head while it still functions, than feel sad looking at the past and what has happened since.

So, to me the collection is merely a load of paper, vinyl, plastic, fabric and various other materials sitting around gathering dust. At my age I have no desire to acquire or hang on to collectibles, just the reverse in fact. So, I'm quite prepared to part with the lot, but finding the right outlet is mind boggling. It's a minefield out there.

Some sites are not interested in the least *Pthb*, others make paltry offers which I consider an insult and a few are interested enough to pay a fair price for some of the items. Condition is the keyword and mint or near mint is what most collectors are interested in. Excuse me, but items almost fifty years old are hardly going to look sparkling brand new, although I do consider a lot of mine in fairly decent condition.

I started to despair, but over the last few days have been communicating with a dealer here who has shown honest and genuine interest. He responds almost instantly, explains things in detail, offers an honest opinion and actually wants to see the collection before he puts a value on it. Good old-fashioned values and personal attention I can cope with. It may mean a trip to Surrey for us with the collection, but we fancied a mini break anyway.

All being well the collection will bring in enough finances to allow us a little more freedom and luxury in the U.S. I'd rather enjoy myself now and savour my memories than hang on to useless memorabilia. What say you?

© Copyright 2009 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/639623-That-Personal-Touch