*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640603
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1539234
A story about a boy and his dragon
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#640603 added March 30, 2009 at 1:52pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter one: A fairies’ gift
      “James you better get to bed soon the race is tomorrow, you to Dago,” said James’ mom.

James sighed and started toward his room with Dago his dragon hovering behind him, when his mother yelled, “How long has it been since you took a bath.” She lifted an eyebrow looking at him curiously, with Emma, her Dragon, perched her shoulder.

      “Mom I took one just two hours ago,” hollered James.

      “Take another one, you’re filthy,” yelled James’ mom. 

      “Yes mom,” as he sighed.

James climbed the ladder to the upstairs with Dago following just two feet behind him.  James looked across the room at the tin tub filled with water. He crossed the room and poked his finger in the water. “Like always, the water is cold.”  James got in to the tub; shivering, he looked at Dago, who had just seated himself on one of the arm chairs in the room. Dago looked so peaceful curled up in a ball.  They had a link, connecting them. As did all humans and their dragons. 

When a woman became pregnant, their dragon would lay an egg.  When the child was born, the baby dragon would hatch at that precise moment.  Because of that strong link between them, when one of them died so did the other one.



Dago was about two feet from head to tail and his wing span was about two feet also. He had dark red scales, bat shaped wings and golden eyes.  Thinking about Dago James had forgotten he was in a tub of freezing water and suddenly remembering, started to shiver again. James finished his bath and started to get dressed. While James was getting dressed,

Dago, waking up, began yawning and stretching. Pealing himself off the armchair he made his way to James’ bed, and fell helplessly into the soft covers.  James laid down by Dago thinking of the race to come.

Once a year everyone at the age of sixteen would go into Babbler forest, would have to find the fairies that lived there and befriend one of them.  Once they had befriended a fairy, the fairy would give them and their dragon a gift or a curse, depending which fairy they befriended.  The gift they received would help them for the rest of their lives and choose what their job or skill would be. If you got a curse that meant that you had to learn a lesson in your life.

The first person to come back with their gift won, and would get a small reward. 

James slowly repositioning himself began wondering how he would befriend a fairy.  Dago on the other hand was dreaming he was in a land of meat, the whole valley was made of meat and there was a river of melk running through it. Melk is milk with elk bits in it. Dago was in heaven.


      James wake up, you’re going to miss the race, as James’ mom shook him violently.
Still dreaming Dago rolled over and bit into a large chunk of pastrami. James screamed as Dago bit his foot.  Dago shot his eyes open realizing he was biting James foot, and not, a giant piece of pastrami. Dago releasing his mouth from James’ now throbbing foot, felt silly. 

      Mom looked at his foot. “Oh quit your whining you’re not hurt that bad.  You’ll be back to your old self again in just a few minutes,” 

    “I liked you more when I thought you were pastrami,” whispered Dago, James glared at Dago.

      “The race! I forgot about the race!” yelled James, jumping out of the bed. “Now get decent and get some clothes on, then come down for breakfast,” Yelled James’ mom.

James got dressed at the speed of light and raced over to ladder, with Dago flying after him.  James slid down the ladder and rushed to the table.

      “Slow down James, save it for the race,” said mom’s dragon Emma. 

    “That’s easy for you to say you don’t have a fairy to find and befriend,” mumbled James with his mouth full. 

      “Why can’t you be more like Dago, you never see him stuffing his mouth full,” exclaimed Emma. 

They looked at Dago who was trying to stuff an entire piece of mutton into his mouth.  Mom suddenly came into the room holding a sack of food.

      “Now finish your food you don’t have much time left,” Mom said in patiently

      “Almost finished,” replied James. 

      “What about you Dago?” Mom asked, as she looked at Dago who still had half of the mutton sticking out of his mouth. Dago was unable to speak due to the mutton.

      “Finished,” yelled James. 

      “Good now get going, you only go on this race once,” hollered James’ mom.

      “Dago! Come on, let’s go,” said James.  Dago flew over to James, still holding the mutton in his mouth.

      "James did you comb your hair," Mom asked. 

James rushed over to the water barrel, looking at his brown messy hair, he straitened it then looked at his deep blue eyes, wrinkled shirt and now straitened hair.  He yelled “Yes I
have mom,” as he was rushing out the door with Dago and the sack of food his mom had just packed for him.

        “Bye James, bye Dago, said Mom and Emma as they were waving at the door. 

      “Wow I’ve never seen the village so empty,” whispered James. 

      “They must be worked up about the race today,” replied Dago.

      “That must be the race over there!” James said panting. 

James and Dago rushed over to where the other sixteen year olds were.  They saw just about everyone they knew, there was Pete and his dragon Ron, over on one of the benches, Larry and his dragon Enthrone, were flirting with a group of girls,  Alice was standing over by a tree, and like always showing off her translucent colored dragon Wendell. Dalen was feeding his dragon, Walnut, and about a dozen other people.  Suddenly the clan leader Anton got up on a bucket and started telling everyone to quiet down so they could start the race.  Then his brother John got up. 

      “Okay everyone you know how this goes.  Will the children that are going to be in the race please come forward, Boomed John.

All of the sixteen year olds walked over to where Anton and John were standing, all of them being upset over being called children. 

      “Okay now we can begin, now to the winner of this year’s race, we will be giving a reward of one hundred crowns.” The crowed started to whisper to one another. “Now remember, choose your fairy wisely when you go into the forest.  Not every fairy will give a gift; about half of the fairies give curses. Also remember when you go into the forest; the fairies won’t be flying all over place. The fairies are in a cave.  Once you are in the cave you will have to rely on your dragon to guide you through the cave.  And I don’t have to tell you the rest.  Did everyone understand the instructions?” There was a nodding motion from the crowed. “Good, now everyone that’s going to be in the race hurry over to the starting line and I will start you off.” 

      "Come on James let’s get over to the starting line,” said Dago as he was polling on James. “I’m coming,” hollered James. 

      “Is everyone at the starting line?  One of the men nodded. Good, now on your mark, get set, GO!” 

      “I’m going to win you all,” shouted Larry as he took the led toward the forest. 

      “Not if I win you first,” yelled another boy. 

      “You guys couldn’t win a snail,” shouted Alice as she stole the lead. 

Just then everyone reached the forest and started headed off in different directions. 

      “I didn’t think the forest would be this thick,” said James, making his way through the trees. 

A few hours later Dago landed on James’ shoulder. “What did your mother pack in that bag James?”

James stopped and started ravaging through the bag.  “Let’s see, there’s two loafs of bread, an apple, some cheese.”  “Anything for me?” said Dago, with a curious look. 
Hmm let me check, oh here’s some cooked meat.”  Dago’s Eyes widened.  “But we probably should save it for later.”  Dago’s countenance dropped.  “We better get going.  We’re not getting anywhere taking inventory of our food,” sighed James.  “Have you noticed how big the trees are?  They look like they’re at least five feet thick, and there’s not a spot on the ground that doesn’t have vegetation growing on it.  Dago... Dago, Dago!”

      “Yes,” said Dago in a mischievous voice. 

      “Why are you holding that meat?” questioned James.  Dago smiled. “You know you should stop looking at me and watch where you’re going.” 


Just then James tripped on a root that was sticking out of the ground and ended up flat on his face at the bass of a huge tree. 

      “Hay look, there’s a hole under that tree!” shouted Dago. 

After a few moments James got back on his feet.  Agitated he said, “Where’s a tree with a hole under it”. 

      “Right there!” shouted Dago, pointing toward one of the trees. 

      “Let’s go take a better look,” said James sighing. 

As they got closer to the hole in the tree, the ground gave way under James’ feet. Dago rushed in after him only to find that ground was a little closer than he had expected.  After hitting the ground hard Dago got up and looked around for James.  He was laying on the ground about four feet away.  Dago rushed over to him only to find that James was dead.  Dago started sobbing on top of James.  Then James started moving and making a slight groaning sound.  Then Dago started shouting, “You’re alive!”  James got up and started dusting himself off.  “Of course I’m alive,” said James groaning. 

      “I thought that I had lost you,” said Dago who still had tears streaming down his face. 

      “Well you didn’t, besides if I had died you’d be gone as well,” said James totally not in the moment. 

      “Don’t ever do that to me again,” whimpered Dago. 

      “It’s not like I meant to, at least... I think this could be the cave the fairies are in.”  “I can’t see a thing down here,” moaned James. 

      “I can, just follow me,” shouted Dago. 

      “Id follow you if I could see you,” said James attempting to look around the room. 

      “How about I climb on your back and tell you where to go,” said Dago. 

      “Sounds good to me, not like I have any other option” replied James. 

Dago began giving James directions.. “Turn right now take a left go about ten steeps forward now make left again.” This continued on for a while. 

      “I can see a light up ahead,” whispered James. 

James and Dago started running toward the light to find a huge room that had thousands of fairies flying all over the place. 

      “How do we know which fairy to choose,” whispered James. 

Dago was watching some fairies that seemed to be made of fire.  A fairy with ruby colored wings whizzed past James’ face.  Another fairy with ice coved wings and a dress made
snow started dancing in the air.  Then one of the fairies Dago was watching landed on his nose, waved at him and then flew away.  James was watching a blue water fairy that was having trouble flying, some fairies started to make fun of her.  The fairy had lost control of one of her wings, making her do a nose dive.  James flung himself forward barely catching her.  The fairy looked at him with an astonished and relieved look on her face.  She tried to fly away but was unable to get off his hands.  More fairies started making fun of her.  James glared at them.  The fairies looked shocked and then flew away.  James helped the hurt fairy back to her feet.  The fairy adjusted her wings and tried flying again and this time she was able to get off the ground. The moment the fairy realized she could fly again, she zoomed off.  James looked over at Dago.  Somehow the fairies had managed to get Dago off the ground and got him to start flying with them.  Just then Dago stopped, turned, and then flew strait toward James, crashing into his chest.  The blue water fairy unexpectedly came swooping down by James and Dago. She muttered to them, before they knew it James and Dago were flying in some kind white void with the fairy. The fairy started talking to them in a strange language. But for some reason they could understand what she was saying, and every word she spoke had some kind of power to it. 

      "Dago, I will give you the gift of a War Dragon allowing you to never stop growing and a suit of armor that will grow with you.  James I will give a sword to help you in the battles to come."  Then everything started going dim. 

Hours later  James and Dago awoke at the entrance of the cave. 

      “What just happened was I dreaming,” said James still rubbing his eyes. 

      “You weren’t dreaming, we just got our gifts, I think.” Dago suddenly grabbed his mouth and realized his voice was a little bit deeper. 

      “I didn’t expect that,” exclaimed James. 

      “Well now that we have are gifts we can go back right?” questioned Dago. 

      “Oh... ya lets go,” Said James.  “So how does my armor look?”  “Shiny,” said James jealously. 

      “Do you still have the food your mother packed for you?” said Dago. 

Looking around James said “I must have lost it when I fell in the cave,” Dago shrugged.  We need to get back it looks like night fall is coming. 
Back at town everyone was anxiously waiting at the finish line for the first person to return.  Right when people were just about to start leaving, James and Dago burst through the trees. 

      “We have a winner,” Shouted Anton who was standing on the wooden platform.  Will you two come over here and except your prize? 

At that moment Larry and his dragon suddenly came bursting the trees. It seemed that Larry had got a flute of some type and his dragon had a ring around its neck.  Alice came bursting through the trees just few moments after Larry carrying a book.  Anton had gone and grabbed a bag at the other end of the platform where John was sleeping  and was now heading toward the front of the wooden platform when Dalen came stumbling out of the forest holding a hammer.  Anton then gave James the bag. 

      “Now everyone please let…” A man rushed through the crowed climbed onto to the platform interrupting Anton, and whispering in his ear. Anton walked over to James. 

      “Come with me,” whispered Anton

      “And where exactly are we going,” said James with Dago following him. 

      “To a more quiet location, Anton took James and Dago behind one of the houses, the crowd didn’t even notice they had left.  Now listen carefully I’m only going to say this once okay.  James and Dago nodded.  “You need to take this letter to the Captain of the army.  He’s in Lithan’thrax Valley.  You must deliver this letter to him as soon as possible.  It is of great import.  Do you understand?” 

      “Yes I understand but why are you sending me and what is in the letter?,” Asked James.

      "I was just told to send the winner of this year’s race and it is for your own safety that you don’t know what is in the letter.  Now get ready and I’ll start you off. But remember you need to hurry so only take what you need." 

James and Dago raced home.  “What do you think we’ll need to grab, before we go?” shouted Dago as his was racing to keep up with James. 

      “Well Know when we get home,” shouted James. 


Back at home James’ mom was making an apple pie, and Emma was helping her.  James and Dago came bursting through the door.

      “James I heard you and Dago won the race,” Mom said still making the pie. 

      “Ya we did,” said James as he dropped the bag with one hundred crowns in it on the table.  “Mom I’ve got to go,” said James.  “Go where,” questioned his mother as she looked at him and then at his dragon.  “I’ll explain later I don’t have time chat right now,” said James.  “You don’t need to tell me, I can tell by the look of that sword and that armor that you're heading to the Armey, and all ask Anton for the details on why you have to leave so quickly tomorrow,” said Mom.  “How did you know that?” asked James.

      “We didn’t get the gift of wisdom for nothing”, Emma replied. 
Mom left the room and came back in what it seemed only seconds. She dropped a pack in front of James.

      “That’s everything I think you’ll need James and Dago,” said Mom as she sighed.  “We want be seeing you for some time,” James was about to asker how she knew this but then remembered what Emma had said. “Now come over here and give your mom a hug,” said Mom with tears starting to form in her eyes. James rushed over to his mom and grasped her not wanting to let go, Dago doing something similar with Emma.  They said their goodbyes as James and Dago rushed back out the door with some food they had grabbed while they were talking.  “Travel safely and never give up hope!” called his mother as they were running back to where Anton was.  When they reached Anton their eyes were steal a little bit watery. 

      “Do you have all that you’ll need? “  They nodded, Anton look back at them with an understanding look; "all you have to do is follow that road over there and it should lead you to Lithan’thrax Valley.  Here is the letter.  James stood there staring. What are you waiting for get going!"  James and Dago bolted off down the road not knowing if they would ever see their village again. 

After traveling a great distance James said, “We better make camp here and continue in the morning.” 

      “How far do you think we’ve gone,” Said Dago still panting. 

      “I don’t know,” said James as he started to make camp.


The next morning James and Dago were already on the road again, eating some of the food that they had gabbed just the night before.  James and Dago then started to approach Darken forest. 

      “Darken Forest, I have heard about this place,” said James. 

      “What did you hear,” said Dago. 

      “I overheard a man talking about how this place is haunted or cursed or something like that,” said James. 

      “Maybe we should go around it,” said Dago shuddering. 

      “No I don’t think we have that kind of time, Anton told us to go Lithan’thrax as soon as possible it’s the fastest way. We have to go through it, it would talk days or weeks to walk around it,” said James slightly worried. 

James and Dago started going into the forest, Dago landed on James shoulder. 

      “I think I’ll rest here for a minute,” said Dago quivering. 

The forest was dark the trees were thick and the trees seemed to block any light that might get through.  Suddenly James saw a shadow out of the corner of his eye. There it was again, and again.  James started noticing black shadows moving through the trees. By this time Dago had somehow made his way into James shirt and was shaking like a rattle snake tail.  Then James got a better look at one of the shadows.  It was kind of ape like shaped and had white glowing eyes. James heart started pounding.  James started walking faster but the ape like shaped shadows were still following him.  James could see a bridge coming into view.  James ran for the bridge. The ape like shadows chased after him.  The trees seemed to start closing in on the path and the bridge seemed to be getting further away. James ran as fast as his legs could carry him.  He got to the bridge and began to cross.  Just as he was nearing the end the bridge began to crumble and fall.  James leaped barely catching the other side of the broken bridge.  One of the ape like shadows jumped after him barely missing James. The ape like shadow then fell into the black water.  James climbed up the side of the broken bridge and started running out of the forest listening to the freakish cries of the ape like creatures screaming after him at the edge of the bridge.  Once James had traveled a couple of miles away Dago stuck his head out of James’ shirt. 

      “I don’t ever want to go through that forest again,” said Dago. 

      “Whew that was close,” said James panting. 

      “I’d say that creature barely missed you.” said Dago looking at a few claw marks in James’ shirt. 

      “Look… that must be the camp up head, on that hill in the distance. It looks likes only ten miles away,.” Said James feeling lighter knowing the camp was close. 

      “Let’s hurry I want to get as far from that forest as I can get,” said Dago steal worrying.


Sometime early in the morning the next day. 

      “Captain Casey?,” a man said as he entered the Captains tent.

      “Yes?” replied Captain Casey still into his work.

      "There’s a boy and his dragon who wish to see you."

      “Send him in,” said Captain Casey as he sighed. 

The soldier left the tent and then came back with the boy.

      “Ah… Captain, sir, I was told to give this letter.”  The Captain took the letter ripped open the seal polled out the letter and started reading it. 

      “What is your name boy?” He said with a calm voice. 

      “James sir.” 

      “Well James, you may have just saved me and my men’s lives.  How old are you James?  “Sixteen sir,” the boy said, clearly nervous.

      “I see, where did you get that sword?”

      “It was the gift I got,” said James slightly nervous in the presence of the Captain. 

      “The gift you got from the fairies you mean.  May I see your sword?”  James gave Captain Casey his sword. Captain Casey then looked up and down the blade and then at its handle.  The sword’s handle was shaped like a dragon with its wings stretched out to form a hilt and had two gems on its head giving it eyes.  The sword’s blade had some kind of ancient writing on it near the handle.  The Sword was about five feet six inches in length, and was incredibly light and well balanced making it able to be welded in one hand or two for more power.  The Captain then started swinging the sword around the room.  “You could cut through just about anything with this sword even dragon scales.” The Captain then gave the sword back to James. 

      "What gift did your dragon get?" Asked Captain Casey envying the boy. 

      “He got a suit of armor and the gift of a War Dragon,” said James as Dago started dancing around the room showing off his armor. 

      “Son, if you asked me I would say you’re destined to be warrior of some type,” Captain Casey slightly grinning. 

James didn’t look enthused. 

      “How about I find someone who can start training you how to use that sword of yours and work with your dragon to help you in battle,” said Captain Casey with a grin that would blow a thousand girls away. 

      “Dago and I are not warriors, “said James sheepishly. 

      "Oh so that’s what the little rascals name is, Dago.  So Dago what do you say?  Do you want to learn how to be a strong war dragon?  Dago nodded excitedly.  “Well there you have it.  I’m sorry James, but you don’t have a choice in the matter.  Your dragon chose for you,” said Captain Casey Grinning at Dago was now twirling around him. 
Now I want both of you to go and talk to Oren, tell him that I sent you to start your training." 

Captain Casey then shoved James and Dago out the Door.
© Copyright 2009 TJ Thompson (UN: tj471 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TJ Thompson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640603