*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/642879
by Erina
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1540233
Young woman & her Husky move to Wyoming escaping a convict husband and LA Dectective
#642879 added March 29, 2009 at 10:50pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6
Chapter 6


“No, Jack, let that go!” Melissa yelled, seeing yet more popcorn go flying into the living room. Her order from WalMart had finally gotten there: dishes, glasses, kitchen appliances, bedclothes. She had a theme going, lilac and cream with daisy and spring green accents. Just looking at the paint she had chosen filled her with childish glee.


Popcorn spread all over the kitchen floor reminded Melissa of a time, a long time back, when her father was still alive and the daily life she lived wasn’t so bad. It was her birthday and she had gotten her own Barbie and horse set from her grandparents and a tea set from her mother and father. Her sisters had made her a small afghan to tuck her dolly babies in for the night and her great aunt had sent a class crystal ball through the mail securely packed with white foam popcorn.


Melissa’s eyes misted over. Jack looked over his shoulder, away from the cardboard box he was mauling, and immediately came back to the kitchen to comfort his mistress. Patting his head absently, she thought about that crystal globe. It sang a song that she could never find the name of, but she could play on the piano. The figure inside was a Russian ballerina, beautiful and graceful, with two swans at her feet, but the song wasn’t from Swan Lake.


Sighing loudly, Melissa brought herself back to reality and smiled at Jack. “You, my friend, are going outside. I don’t need more help than I already have.” Jack barked at her then ignored the baby gate she put in the door, leaving the door open to help air out the house. Only in Wyoming could you leave your doors open without worry.








Proud member of


** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **



© Copyright 2009 Erina (UN: erinamarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Erina has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/642879