*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/644976-Pit-bulls-in-the-family
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#644976 added April 14, 2009 at 12:11am
Restrictions: None
Pit bulls in the family
There is a fascination with pit bulls in my brother's family. He has one, and so do each of his two daughters. All three came to visit today for Easter. Fortunately, the dogs are well-trained, and my dad's yard is a good size, and the house is set back from the street. There are a lot of pedestrians out for exercise or leisure, but the road is bordered by a thin row of shrubs, partly disguising the peds. Only once have I heard the dog bark at walkers-by.

There are lots of things in the yard for a dog to play with, but when there's more than one, they play with each other. For every bark, someone runs outside, and they're frequently at the door, begging to get in. The one that's been around the longest loves to chase things. The younger ones aren't into that. I went onto the back deck and saw a 15" branch, about 4" in diameter. This dog ran and picked it up, and brought it to me, because I usually throw whatever he brings me until it's so covered with slobber and mud so that I have to give it up. Now I'm not particularly fond of this throwing relationship, so you can tell who's in charge.

However, today the branch was just too big to toss with one hand. I went to the rail and tossed it downhill with both hands. The dog ran after it, and triumphantly ran back up the steps with this branch wedged in its massive jaw. He likes to wrestle it for a moment, before he releases it. So I have to be careful aboiut where my fingers are. I kept throwing it over the rail for him, but when I couldn't find a dry spot to hold, I quit.

This reminded me what big, powerful jaws these dogs have. These are good dogs who come on command, and who can stay outside without a leash briefly. They don't even live here, but don't leave the yard or chase cars. On the other hand, good or not, despite the fact that they are well bred, nourtured, trained, and loved, they have the potential to do great harm. How many dogs have a jaw big enough or strong enough to easily grip a log the size I was throwing for him? A human leg would be nothing for him to hold on to (or tear off).

So much extra caution has to be exercised with this type dog. And because of their bad reputation, some people are even more afraid of them. I lived in an area where an older woman was mauled to death by a pit bull. People who knew her became neurotic about pit bulls understandably and would panic around them. So the dog owners have to be aware of this and be respectful of that fear. Why antagonize someone who's afraid of your dog by trying to force them to be friends, or pet it, or other cute things?Just show you're in control of the dog and keep it away from them. Your zealous restraint of these "bad" dogs is the only thing that will get people to trust you. Face it, if they've afraid of them, they're unlikely to change; they will never come to love the dog the way that you do.

I respect these family dogs. My brother's and nieces' dogs are like their children. They sleep on the beds with them and are well cared for. But I'm going to be careful, always ready for them to turn on me. I exercise the same policy that I always do around dogs. I don't let them see me afraid. I know they may sense it, but I like to act like I'm the one in control. I can't run the way I did when I was young. ( I always keep my hands up and out of the way of teeth around strange dogs.) Knowing the owners and their trustworthiness is the only thing that lets me relax around these dogs.     

© Copyright 2009 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/644976-Pit-bulls-in-the-family