*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/646270-Are-literary-agents-talent-killers
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#646270 added April 21, 2009 at 5:20pm
Restrictions: None
Are literary agents talent killers?
I just saw an article written by Mary W. Walters, author of "Bitters" and "The Woman Upstairs," called "THE TALENT KILLERS" where she disparages literary agents. I thought the article, mechanically, was well written. She obviously thought about what she wanted to write and then composed it. However it does "slam" literary agents. Writers have to get an agent to get a publisher to publish their work to be successful. (In the traditional model) Well, there's a reason literary agents are "keepers" of the gate, so to speak. I hate to be frank, but there is a lot of written material out there that just isn't that good. Authors and Writers can take years to really develop their craft. "First time Wonders" are rare, but they are there. Honestly, I'm not a "first time wonder." I've been plugging away and learning how to write.

Mary also talks about literary vs. commerical fiction. Well, let's be honest, commerical fiction sells. Your product should be commerical. If it is literary, it needs to be outstanding. It needs to stand above the rest.

My thoughts on Mary: She's got an interesting spin on literary agents. I don't agree. I think they are needed.

You can find the article by Googling "The Talent Killers."
Steph

© Copyright 2009 StephBee - GOT Survivor (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - GOT Survivor has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/646270-Are-literary-agents-talent-killers