*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/646925-Only-God-knows
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1550736
..........
#646925 added April 26, 2009 at 2:46am
Restrictions: None
Only God knows...
My son’s 8th birthday was last Thursday. Eight years...has it really been that long? Geez... Seems like only a year or two ago he poped out into the world and gave me The Look.

“Oh, man. YOU’RE my dad? Great...just great.”

We actually have a picture of that look. Classic...

Anyway, after some eats, we all sat down for the obligatory cake. In between bites, for no particular reason, Cam pipes up about what he learned recently in Sunday School.

“Dad, did you know that the Earth is only 6000 years old? Anyone who says it’s believes Satan’s Lie.”

I gaffed a bit, then gave him the “Oh no...he didn’t” look. My reply? “Who says?”

“My Sunday school teacher.”

“Did she present you any proof?”

“It’s in the Bible!”

“Show me...”

At that point he just gave me a befuddled look. I knew he wouldn’t...or couldn’t. Fact is, is ISN’T in the Bible. There’s not one word about the age of the planet. The holy book begins with HUMAN history - that’s it. Not a word on where in the planet’s timeline God decided to plant the seeds of sentient life.

I could tell by his expression that Cam really wasn’t ready fro such a serious conversation, But hey. The Church started it, and I will finish it. And I use logic and science rather than simple word of mouth belief. My son’s pretty danged brainy, so I will not tolerate that kind of ignorance.

Still, I couldn’t TELL him that isn’t the case. No, that would put me at the church’s level, and I do consider myself above any man-made religion. So, I turned toward him a bit, leaned in, and took another tact.

“Look,” I said, “how old the planet really is we honestly do not know. It doesn’t matter anyway. The planet’s age has nothing to do with your personal faith or beliefs in God. Does it really matter to you?”

He thought about it. “No,” he finally said.

“Right. So really, what you believe about how we got here is totally up to you. Discovering and growing your faith is more important than silly subjects like that. It doesn’t matter if you agree with what the church teaches or not.”

“What do you think?” he asked.

“About how old the planet is?”

“Yeah.”

“I think Satan lies more through religious organizations than he does through scientists. But it’s what you choose to believe that matters. That’s up to you and no one else. Ever. Listen more to what God tells you than what other people say.”

That was that, and the thing is...he actually understood.

I will state for the record that I am a Christian. I do believe. What’s more, I have Faith. To my understanding Faith and belief are two totally different things that CAN compliment one another. Or...they can conflict. I chose Christianity, no one chose it for me. For ME, that’s my personal path to commiserating with God...and the continual discovery of self.

I do NOT believe mine is the only path, it’s just the one for me. After years...decades...of serious reflection I honestly believe that “Satan’s Lie” comes through those who pontificate that their way is the only way and all others will burn forever. How macabre... The path to God, no matter what it is, is a personal choice. Period.

I am not of the mind to debate Biblical canon with anyone here. I have my ways and that’s that. No one will change my mind.

The thing is, is frightens me that churches all over (regardless of religion) are filled with people who will take to heart anything and mostly everything stated from the “pulpit.”

“If the pastor says it, it is so...” Oh yeah? Okay, so be it. What would you think if your pastor said a marital union between blacks and whites was unnatural? Hey, that used to be the case. And sometimes, still is. What if said pastor told you that burning those thought to be “witches” is okay? Used to be the case, too. In some places, still is.

Our religions overall have always failed us in one key area: listening is done with more than the ears. Listen only with the ears and we end up, eventually, falling for authoritative smooth talkers...or those who are simply charismatic.

Logic actually serves religious beliefs and true faith more than people think. And that’s something I do want to pass on to Cam. Believe in God, not man, and your faith will grow. It’s really that simple.

As time goes on Cam should end up with enough information to make a final decision on the matters at hand. But there are a few simple things that he can understand right now:

1. Dinosaurs and humanity did NOT exist together. Ol’ T-Rex didn’t suddenly decide to turn meat-eater just because Eve ate from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Want non-scientific “evidence?” Had that been the case, woulda been in the various holy books, right? Duh...

After the expulsion, why would God waste an angel and a Sword of Fire to guard the entrance of Eden when a dumb ol’ group of Raptors would do just fine? Double duh...

2. God can affect us with a thought - Satan cannot. Ol’ Lucy must convince us to go astray on our own. THAT is the big difference between the two entities, honestly. One can do “magic,” the other can only talk you to death (so to speak). As such, Satan did NOT place magically created bones of the pre-historic beings for us to discover. Even if it did have that ability, what would be the point?

3. Regarding the holy books being perfect as is and to be taken literally...well...the answer there is obvious. If there is any room for debate then it’s open to interpretation. Duh...

Additionally, such discord actually distracts followers from the main point: faith and personal growth. Hence my contention that the religions are used far more by that ol’ Devil-dude than even atheistic scientists.

4. Some scientists are believers...far more than the churches disseminate. And for some odd reason, they have ZERO problems resolving their discoveries of the evolving ecosystem with their faiths. Imagine that!

5. Anyone who says they know what God meant by certain actions, natural disasters, good occurrences, or passages form any given holy book is in direct violation of the Second Commandment and possibly even the First. Period.

We are human. How can we POSSIBLY know God’s mind? To think so, even a little bit, actually puts self and humanity in general above God. Hence the violation of the First. That would be, obviously, vain: violation of that Second. Bad move for anyone to do, and absolutely disastrous to those who choose to follow such a person.

6. Belief stems from being taught or learning through reading various literature. Faith stems form practical application. They are two different things, but can work together as much as they can conflict.

So how old is the Earth? No human really knows. Who cares? The personal relationship with God is what matters. How does that even remotely hook in to the planet’s age? Belief is about looking back. Faith...is about the here and now as well as the future.

Having the courage of those budding convictions is the key, regardless of what they are. Rather than telling how things are, teach people to think and allow them their decision without any form of judgement.

And THAT, my dear friends, is how one single man can fight an established religion...and do more for a child’s spiritual growth. I will not allow any given religious establish educate my son without parental guidance on the side any more than I do the public schools. They tell...I teach. Hopefully he’ll eventually get the point...

Only GOD know for certain...we just guess and muddle through as best we can - hopefully through faith.

© Copyright 2009 Michael Wonch (UN: mikewonch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Michael Wonch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/646925-Only-God-knows