*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648698-Lucky-Me
by Jade
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1523564
It's good to put your thoughts out somewhere where unbiased people can look at them.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#648698 added May 7, 2009 at 10:51pm
Restrictions: None
Lucky Me
You know, I've can't actually go back in time to prove this, but I've heard from people like my mom that school was not THIS hard when they were younger. That Calc was a senior's class. Not Pre-AP Calc as a Junior's class...

No AP classes with killer finals on top of AP tests (that you actually have to PAY for, by the way). Or extracurricular activities coming out the wazzu. Really, back then, you could get away with not going to college and still be able to get a decent job. Now, college drop out? Didn't go to college after you graduated? You have two options, online college or "would you like fries with that?"

And what is with all this mail from colleges? Don't they know that they are running about 2 years early for recruiting? Should I be sending in my applications? I'M NOT READY YET! Can't they get that?

Of course not. Because whoever said "you're only 16, you don't have to know what you're going to for the rest of your life," was LYING. That's EXACTLY what is required now. I'm just one of the lucky ones who knows what I like to do. I'm lucky... or not because now it's all about specialization, and the odds of actually making it in my field is about 4,000,000 to 1. Yay. Aren't I just lucky.

They even have things called duel enrolment and summer college classes for high school students. Who wants to be enrolled in high school AND college. ONE set of drama and homework obviously isn't enough. No, let's add COLLEGE on to that as well.

And then, when you freak out and start failing ONE class (even thouhgh you have As in most all the other ones) because you're so STRESSED (for other reasons outside school as well), it goes on your transcript for the entire college WORLD to see. Which is obviously bad because of the whole needing to go to college or ending up in a hat with a giant yellow M on it. Which in turn makes you (or me in this case, because this seems I'm no longer posing a hypothetical situation) more stressed because THEN how in the heck am I going to pay for college because GOD KNOWS I don't want to stay here for the state lottery scholarship?

Ya, it seems the educational system is becoming one big paradox. That's great; maybe the world USED to make sense?

Anybody have any thoughts on that one, because I'm drawing a blank?

© Copyright 2009 Jade (UN: soccergirlie99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jade has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648698-Lucky-Me