*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648933-Daddy-Time
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1550736
..........
#648933 added May 9, 2009 at 1:13pm
Restrictions: None
Daddy Time...
So, I get a call last night right after getting home from work. It was Cam, my dear little mini-me. He was at the park with his mother and, as he put it, “there’s only adults here.” Depressed voice and all.

Three weeks ago, we’d gone out to a local greasy spoon we both really like, and he saw one of his friends. This friend had just turned 9 and was having a birthday party that Friday night. A sleep-over that I’m pretty sure the ex would kill to have Cam attend. Cam was invited, we called to make sure it was okay...it was set.

Come Friday, the party and sleep-over had to be postponed. There are several kids in that household, and one of them got sick (right around the time of Ol’ Swiney’s scary appearance, ironically). It was set again for the next Friday (last night) and all was well. Until the day came...ANOTHER of the kids was sick. Hey, it happens in larger families, right?

Well, Cam was pretty understandably upset at the news. What I didn’t understand is why Barb (the ex) was a little peeved. “She could have at least called,” she’d said about the other little boy’s mother.

I find that odd, frankly. Barb herself comes a family of four kids and two adults who had lived in rather cramped quarters. Woulda thought she’d remember that when one person got sick, pretty soon all others would likely follow...eventually. And that cycle would continue until whatever bug vexing the family ran it’s full course (or two...or three). I diplomatically mentioned that (yes, folks, I CAN be diplomatic), but hey! Y’all know how frustrated moms can get, eh? Her answer to my point was more along the lines of “yeah, yeah, whatever.”

Well, Cam had been upset enough to call to ask if I could come get him for...an hour. An hour? Are you kidding? NO! I was nice about it, but not very diplomatic. Barb can coddle him, because that’s how she is. But me? No way. It’s not as if he fell off a bike and survived a fall into the Grand Canyon. It was a cancelled sleep-over. Geez... I pretty much said that...through a nicer tone than I convey now, obviously.

I then spoke more to Barb, where I predicted that things would likely improve for Cam’s attitude during things like this once they moved into the house in town. That should be this summer and would allow Cam to walk pretty much anywhere to get to a friends house. Right now, he’s stuck out in the country...literally. Although he now has a new baby brother, Cam’s still pretty much alone. Moving to town this coming summer would rid everyone (including Cam) of most of this particular angst.

Barb and I have an amicable relationship, kinda like old friends. Even the divorce was pretty easy (upon which even the veteran judge commented). So it was nice that I could bolster her rather over-emotional worries over the immediate state of Cam’s mindset.

I went even further. Come this Friday, Barb will be going in for some kind of out-patient procedure to prevent any more pregnancies. You see, her body makes her a lot more miserable than the typical woman when in that state. It was bad enough when pregnant with Cam, and seemed worse with her latest. I really did feel for her hubby, man - honestly, I did. Anyway, no more kids for her, she says, and this Friday she plans on getting herself fixed. *chuckle* Spade, is how I’d term it. Hey! She’s an EX - I gotta find SOMETHING to be mean about, right? *wink*

She had arranged for Cam and the little one (Briley) to be watched over by a sitter while she recovered Friday and Saturday. I happen to be off this Friday, so I offered to take Da Boy for awhile. I work early AM on Saturday, so sadly he can’t stay overnight. Bummer, but that’s the way it goes. I had planned on taking him to see the new Star Trek film that day. Something I think he;d really enjoy (I know I will). However, this new development changed that.

I’ll be taking him tomorrow (Sunday) rather than this coming Friday. That kinda sucks, because this is opening weekend for that film, it’s very popular, and I really don’t like crowded theaters. I learned that lesson back in the 1990's when I went to see Independence Day on the very first day of release. Now, I don’t have a problem with people, per se, I just like having a LOT of elbow room. I also like having places to move if I’m unfortunate enough to be seated near someone who likes to yak, sleep/snore, or use the cell phone DURING the film. It should be legal to wipe someone off the face of the planet for that crime...but it ain’t, so I have to find other ways to deal.

But, alas, due to the cancelled sleep-over, about which Cam was really excited, I will move the film date with my son up nearly a full week. I will likely also pack a Taser...just in case, ya know? *snicker*

I did show Cam the film trailers, and he is looking forward to the film as well as time with Dear Ol’ Dad (as I said, strange kid), so hopefully that will ease his pain a little bit.

We’ll also “junk out” quite a bit. The other night we decided to watch another film, and instead of giving my li’l mini-me something good for him to eat, we filled up on nasty stuff. We actually consumed 12 large ice cream sandwiches during that 2 hours (he had HALF). And that’s just an example. So, this Sunday, we’ll do it again only at the theater itself. Been awhile since I had theater popcorn, so I’m looking forward to it. On top of it, the film should be a great action/drama/scifi that I believe Cam will get into (simply because of all the cool special effects coupled with a rousing score). And since it’s a new film, he’ll likely be one of the first (if not THE first) in his class to see it. That matters to him, not me, but that’ll help massage his little narcissistic side that I just cannot get him to control. *rolls eyes* Kids...

It’ll be a matinee, so then afterward we can head over to another place to do something he’s been nagging me to do all winter. Miniature golf. Golf is boring to me, to the point of thinking suicide if I have no choice but watch such a maddeningly dull sport (even live). However, Cam makes it fun. Aim for hole? NOPE! He just likes to knock my ball into the weeds. Yeah, that I can live with, eh? It should be a nice day, and the place should be open. So - we’ll go. He only knows about the movie, so to him the added fun with those silly white, pocked bouncing balls will be a major bonus.

Hmmm... That last line - didn’t sound quite right, did it? Then again, that’s another reason I’m just not into any kind of golf. Grown hetero males should never play with any kind of bouncing balls. *snicker* Come to think of it, that may be why I’m not into basketball, either.

Okay, I’ll cease this now before I get myself in over my head. ARGH! There I go again... BYE!

© Copyright 2009 Michael Wonch (UN: mikewonch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Michael Wonch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648933-Daddy-Time