*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649162-Chapter-2
by ftc021
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1559179
Vampyers as an explanation of why Julius Ceaser crossed the Rubicon...
#649162 added May 11, 2009 at 7:38am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2



Chapter 2








Julius and his armies departed for Spain via the land route. The march through most of Italy was quick and uneventful, he should have been planning his attack on Pompey's troops in Spain but his mind was elsewhere. Who is this Vampyre that I keep seeing? He seems ... different, the others listen to him and he does not appear as ruthless, in fact the faction's goals seem to be tempered. Think Gaius, where did you first see this one? He had appeared on the march through Gaul from Britannia. Why had the Vampyres insisted on this truce with the Britons? He could have defeated them. His mind raced around these questions. His preoccupation continued until he reached Massilia where he expected to be welcomed and could rest his troops before continuing the march. To his surprise the city gates were closed and the officials came to inform him that though they had a duty to him as their former governor, they also owed allegiance to Pompey and must remain neutral. Caesar made his camp outside the city, determined to allow his troops to rest. While he was there the traitorous city allowed Domitius Ahenobarbus, the fool the Senate had chosen as his gubernatorial successor, to enter via the harbor and begin organizing defenses. Enraged at the betrayal and impatient to win Spain, Julius organized a siege of the city, placed Trebonius in charge, and with the bulk of his forces, continued his march.


The rest of the approach to Spain was a simple march; the passes thru the Pyrenees had already been cleared by the three legions he had dispatched with Caius Fabius. Soon he would face trained Roman soldiers. Unlike his victories in Gaul and his easy conquest of Italy, he would now have to contend with Soldiers and Generals as well trained as his own Army.


It happened at Ilerda near the junction of the rivers Ebro and Sicoris. Julius had no desire to shed blood if he could avoid it. He would need these troops for the rest of this war and to defeat the greater enemy in the end.


Numerically the armies were closely matched and Pompey's armies were determined to fight. The swollen banks of the river curtailed the effective use of his cavalry and he sustained heavy losses early in the conflict. Soon though his engineers had completed ferries for the horses and managed to divert some of the flood water. As soon as the Cavalry came into the fray the enemy began a retreat to the south. Caesar pursued. He intentionally passed on several opportunities to press the attack; looking for a resolution that would not cost so many lives.


The men were getting impatient, wondering why they did not fight. He even received a warning from the Vampyres that he was to finish this fight and move on. Fortunately he did not have to wait long before he had his chance, his opponents found themselves surrounded and in a poor position. Julius did not make a move for four days. At last one of the commanders, Lucius Afranius, requested a meeting which Caesar immediately granted. They met in the open with both armies gathered. Julius waited for Lucius to speak, "We are beat" the commander said "Our duty to Pompey is done, we have no food and our water is nearly gone, we ask only that you show us the Mercy you showed in Corfinium"


"You say you have done your duty?" Caesar laughed "You may have discharged your obligation to defend, but you have failed in a greater duty. A duty I attend with the utmost diligence. Even your famed Pompey has done this duty by fleeing a hopeless situation in Italy." His tone hardened and his features stilled. "I speak of your obligation to the people, to your soldiers and to Rome. I speak of your most sacred duty, the duty to spare the citizens and to see that every possible chance for peace be taken" Lucius looked to the ground and swallowed in fear. "Pompey is an ungrateful fool filled with jealousy" Caesar continued "He seeks the glory I have earned by right. I alone among Rome's great General have been denied my right to return in triumph. I should have been hailed a hero with what I have done for Republic, Instead Pompey and his puppet senators have attempted to illegally strip me of what is mine and bar me from my right to seek the Consulship. By doing this they have not only wronged me, but the people." Julius paused ofr effect looking into Lucius's eyes and passing his vision over the armies before continuing. "As for your mercy you shall have it, even now my soldiers are returning any plunder taken. Monies shall be repaid and you shall be free. I will not press your men into service they are free to leave. Those wishing to raise their standards for the good of the people may add their strength to mine. Those to selfish and shortsighted to do what must be done may go. Either way your armies are disbanded and must leave this province immediately. If ever we meet across the field of battle again remember what I have told you, if you repeat this mistake and you will have no mercy from me!"


Alone in his tent Julius sighed with relief. Spain's greatest armies had been defeated and he had managed to save many lives. "You linger to long in Spain" said an eerie voice. Julius looked up to see a Vampyre standing before him. "You show too much mercy and prolong the fighting to do so. Slaughter them when the opportunity is there. Word of your ruthlessness will spread and other will surrender rather than risk your wrath. When they surrender, slaughter their leaders as an example. Save your mercy for the common cattle, they will still love you for it." Julius reddened, he knew why they wanted the carnage and he would not give it to them. "You have had plenty of blood during this campaign." Julius said. "I must keep the people on our side so I can hold Rome. Let me do the job you have given me. Rome will be mine if you do not interfere."


"You grow to bold Julius." The Vampyre replied. "Rome is ours; you hold it for us at our pleasure, no more." Suddenly the Vampyre was on top of him its foul breath heavy on his face, its disturbing eyes boring into his soul, as it cool forehead pressed against his own sweaty brow. "Do not forget we have made you what you are, given you all that you have. What was given can be taken away. Do not mistake the latitude we have given you thus far for weakness. You will do as you are told or weep as we take your world apart around you. Finish this and move on we weary of your sniveling." The Vampyre departed leaving Julius determined to quickly find resolution in Spain and move on to Greece. Perhaps there he could come to terms with Pompey and let his former friend join his campaign against these evil creatures.


Julius sent word that councils would be held in Corduba and Tarraco. There he would reward those who support him and correct those who did not.


Good to his word Julius showed leniency to those that had earned it in Corduba and Tarraco, he then put a new governor in place and marched for Rome anxious to put this civil war behind him and fight the true enemy of the people. He was also nervouse that the Vampyres would continue to demand more sacrifices that he was unwilling to make. He would do what he had to in order to survive and fight them another day, but hoped it would not come to that.


On the return March he stopped in Massilia where the city continued to hold out against the siege. Upon seeing his forces returning victorious the city surrendered. He confiscated their ships, weapons and communal treasure for their betrayal, but left them their independence and once again denied his soldiers their right to loot. This caused much contention among the men and a few began to grumble about the long marches, lack of combat and no rewards. The grumbles got worse as he immediately put them back on the march and declared his intention to stop briefly in Rome and push quickly on to Brindisi and continue the campaign in Greece. Caesar however was determined to finish this war and was sure his men could see the greater good; they would rest when it was done. After all he was facing the same hardships as they, was he not?


His faith was misplaced. In northern Italy the ninth legion refused to break camp and March. A delegation was sent to him from the soldiers. "We will not move on until we receive the rewards you have denied us" they said. "We have marched longer and faster then you have asked any army before. You have shown more mercy and kindness to the enemy than you have to us. You have denied us our right plunder and take the rewards of war, and you have intentionally prolonged this war by refusing to allow us to press the attack when victory would have easily been ours. This war has become for the good of the Caesar. You claim to be fighting for us, but you are the only one who benefits."


Julius glared at the soldiers. How many times could he be surprised by the selfishness and shortsightedness of men? Did they not see that by taking plunder and killing unnecessarily they would have created more enemies to fight instead of more soldiers in their ranks? This insistence on antiquated custom was ridiculous. Very well if they wanted to uphold customs he would do so! "By custom it is my right as your commander to decimate any legion in rebellion and dismiss the remaining troops with no compensation. Today one tenth of your number shall die and tomorrow the remaining shall go home in shame"


It was the soldiers turn to be surprised. Their beloved general had always treated them with regard. Could he not see the abuse he was piling on them? Why deny them their booty? Worse why decimate and send them away? They did not want to lose face, nor did they want to leave his service or die. "Please" they begged "we are tired, we do not want to leave your service, this refusal was stupid, we rescind our demands, and we will march with you."


Julius sneered "It is too late for that now, if I show you mercy others will be encouraged to mutiny themselves. You will be an example. You claim you do want to lose honor yet your selfishness today has already cost you your honor"


The soldiers continued to beg forgiveness, until Julius at last agreed to a compromise he ordered that the names of those who instigated the rebellion be given and had one tenth of them executed as an example to the rest. This done he spoke to the men warning them of the dangers of rebellion and encouraging them to act more honorably.


The march for Rome continued with Julius more determined than ever to resolve this conflict and restore Rome to its proper glory. Because Pompey and his senators had fled and there was no authority remaining in Rome Julius had been appointed dictator in his absence. One of his first orders of business upon during his 11 day stay in the city was to hold the elections for consul. He was elected with Publius Servilius Isauricus as co-consul. Now his was the legal right and Pompey and his cohorts were the outlaws. He spent the remainder of his time setting some policies to alleviate the suffering of the Roman poor and before leaving Rome he renounced his dictatorship in favor of the consulship he had won in legally held elections.


On the night before he was to depart for Brindisi the Vampyres returned. Three of them stood in his room. Two silent ones flanked speaker whose voice he had come to know. "You are doing well" he was told, but your fortune does not carry everywhere. Curio is dead and has lost Africa. Illyria has been taken and Pompey's fleet holds the Adriatic. Your pathetic attempts to save your enemy must end. Our goals are within reach, finish this." and just like that they were gone again. Only one lingering whisper remained, obviously spoken by one of the others as they left, it chilled him to the bone. "Thank you for your offering, the soldiers you executed were exquisite"


Caesar was in a fury, he was so focused on the immediate goals, he nearly forgot how truly evil these beings were. It had been within his rights to decimate the ninth for its rebellion and he had been proud of his forbearance in only decimating the instigators, now he regretted his actions. He knew the Vampyres were always with him, he knew he only saw them when he was intended to. He would have to be careful now, find a way to do what must be done without leaving blood behind for these vile creatures. They had revealed something though. Always before they had acted mysterious as to why they needed the blood. Could it be true these things actually fed upon human blood?


Julius was in a bad mood during the march to Brindisi, he was mad it himself that he had provided the Vampyres with a feast, yet he could not think of what alternative he had. He could not let his troops turn into an undisciplined rabble, he must have control over his army or all was lost. Further he started to wonder who else they had gotten to, were all his men really his, or would some of his generals break from him if he displeased his masters.


Upon arriving in Brindisi with he took stock of the army he gathered. Twelve legions and over one thousand horse, a good army to advance his cause in Greece. The problem arose when he realized he did not have the ships to transport them all in one trip. In order to bring as many as possible Caesar took a gamble. He told his men they should leave their slaves and access baggage in Italy. He promised a swift victory and ample generosity when they had won. Upon hearing this, the legions sent up such a roar of approval that he was sure they had gotten the attention of the gods.


Even with trimming the fat from his train he still managed only seven legions in the initial crossing. He left Antony and a few other trusted men in charge of the remainder of the army with orders that they should join him as soon as the ships returned.


Upon landing he seized several small towns but was unable to reach Dyrrhachium, a city Caesar knew to be a strong hold for Pompey, before he was cut off by the opposing forces. So he dug in to await Antony and the forces still in Italy. While he waited he sent emissaries to Pompey to once again make an attempt at peace. He told Pompey that he could not hope to win and law was on Caesar's side. He bid Pompey to dismiss his armies and join him for the good of Rome, but Pompey would not hear of it. "What good would my freedom be" he said "If the whole world knew it was at your mercy. I would have no power of my own and the senate would be a joke subject to the whim of Caesar."


Julius had to wonder if it was Pompey's jealousy and greed that stopped him from accepting peace or if he too were controlled by others.


As the allotted time for the crossing came and went Caesar began to worry, had Pompey's fleet destroyed his army? Had the Vampyres gotten to his generals and swayed them to a different cause? Did they know he was searching for information about them? His impatience and fears got the better of him. He must know the disposition of these troops. In the dark hours of the morning he commandeered a small craft and set off for Brindisi. As they began to cross the wind was picking up and they waves became choppy, soon the storm had grown so fierce that the captain begged to turn around and head for the safety of the harbor. Julius laughed at this "Do not fear the storm" he said "You are Ferrying Caesar and my fortune is greater than this storm" he had to reach Italy and he relied on his reputation for luck to hold the captain to his course. They floundered on for hours as the storm grew worse until he had to admit defeat and allow the Captain to turn his boat toward Greece. As soon as he returned to his camp he dispatched men with letters to Antony instructing him to bring the rest of the Army immediately.


Finally the reinforcements arrived explaining they had been stopped by a blockade and been force to bide their time until the opportunity came for their crossing. More likely Caesar thought they were compelled to wait hoping that more of my men would feed the hunger of the Vampyres. As soon as the Army was re-assembled he intended to rush Dyrrhachium, however the wait had been so long he decided to try a ploy. He had his army set of on a circuitous route to lure Pompey's forces away. Once he felt secure that his opponents must think him headed elsewhere he forced his troops in an all night march on the city.


It seemed to work, he arrived at the city before Pompey could cut him off. Before he could take Dyrrhacium though, Pompey's forces arrived. Julius knew that numerically his forces were no match for Pompey but decided on a desperate gamble. Using a tactic that had been successful in Gaul he spread his forces around the opponents and began to build fortifications using a smaller army to besiege a larger one, not in a city but in the open.


For a time the siege dragged on seeming to be a stalemate, but Julius had no way to get new supplies and Pompey's armies had enough to outlast him. The day came when he saw his chance, Pompey was setting up a new camp seeming to want to stretch Caesar's line even further, so Julius gathered thirty three cohorts and split into two columns of men intending to catch the new camp by surprise and capture the men. He led one group and sent the other around to approach from the opposite direction. He entered the camp with his man and carried the fight well; however the other group did not arrive. His men were beaten in a brutal battle over a thousand soldiers were lost or captured. He took what dead he could, seeking to keep them from becoming food, but grew disheartened when he learned the captured men had been slaughtered. It was not right to slaughter captives in this fashion and Julius grew sure that there was more apposing him than Pompey and the fools he had with him.


Having grown fearful that some of his standard bearers were under an evil sway he decided to withdraw and to a more favorable position.


For weeks they marched around Greece harried by Pompey's troops. At last after successfully leading Pompey away from his ships and supplies on the Adriatic, the two men and their armies met on the plains of Pharsalia. The two armies camped opposite each other but neither general seemed willing to commit to battle. Julius thinking perhaps Pompey was frightened to face him in open battle began having his troops drill on the open plains between the armies. Perhaps, he thought, Pompy will see the discipline of my troops and realized that he must accept my offers of peace or be destroyed. Surely he understands we can finish this with no further blood shed.


As he prepared for this demonstration on the fourth day he noticed that the opposition was preparing for battle, so he rallied his troops and once again exerted them to conduct themselves with honor. Kill when necessary but not when wounding would do. Win the day with as many of the opposition left alive as possible and to trust in his generosity Rome was theirs.


The armies faced each other across the open field. An eerie silence and uneasy tension filled the air. The advance was sounded and Julius's army rushed into the fray. The Pompeian forces stood their ground choosing neither to advance or retreat, seemingly content to let the enemy come to them. The battle was joined and the tide went back and forth all morning, in the early afternoon Caesar's superior tactics began to win over Pompey's superior numbers. By late afternoon Pompey had retreated to his camp, not wanting to give up his momentum Julius stormed the camp and Pompey fled the battle. By evening it was finished Julius had won the day against all odds. All that remained the following day was to accept the surrender of the remaining troops.


After crushing Pompey's forces at Pharsalia Caesar was hailed as hero throughout Greece and Asia, he had merely to march past a city to be given tribute and sworn allegiance. For seven weeks he toured the eastern part of the empire securing his rule. He shuddered every time sacrifice were offered to the gods on his behalf, knowing that somehow Vampyres were behind it all and benefiting from every drop of blood spilled.


At last word came to him that Pompey had turned up in Africa, the last part of the empire left to him. He cut his tour of Asia short, traveled to Rhodes and set sail for Alexandria where it was said Pompey had fled.


© Copyright 2009 ftc021 (UN: ftc021 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ftc021 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649162-Chapter-2