*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649164-chapter-4
by ftc021
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1559179
Vampyers as an explanation of why Julius Ceaser crossed the Rubicon...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#649164 added May 11, 2009 at 7:43am
Restrictions: None
chapter 4
Chapter 4





Julius burst from his chamber surprising his servants. His strange request surprised them even more. He demanded that his office and bed chamber be fitted with sconces mere inches apart in two rows midway up the wall, and a torched fitted into each sconce. Further more, he desired polished metal be place along the lower wall and ceiling. As this was being done he ordered all manner of pungent herbs and spices brought from the kitchen in sealed containers and place throughout his chambers. He then sent word to Ptolemy that his request for an audience had been denied. He knew the Magicians would get the message and understand it was for them. Before returning to his chambers Julius found four of his most trusted men, men of the tenth legion, which had been with him since Gaul. He explained to them that he intended to capture Ptolemy and his Magicians, but feared what Egyptian magic may be brought to bare, he then told them that he had learned the secret to counter the Egyptians magic but needed help. The guards were told no more than they needed to know and sworn to secrecy.


Julius hid three guards in his bed chamber and left one outside his office door. He then sat at his desk and waited for the Magicians and their puppet to arrive. His sword was in easy reach and the only light was that of a lone candle on his desk. He did not have to wait long before he heard Ptolemy outside the door demanding that the guard stand aside and allow the King of Egypt to pass. The guard, as planned, hesitated long enough to further enrage the Egyptians and allowed them in.


They stormed into the room as planned and in their anger failed to notice the changes he had wrought in the chamber. This gamble would determine if his guesses were correct. It would be the beginning of his victory or possibly the end of his life.


At once they demanded to know the meaning of this denial. He had no right to refuse them an audience with his masters. He would send word to them immediately or die on the spot. Julius yelled "Now" and the guards burst in one two lit torches while two broke open the jars of herbs and spices, shattering the pottery and banging theirs swords into the polished metal creating as much clamor as they could. The torches were so close together that, as the first torches were lit the flames spread rapidly on its own along the two rows filling the room with lit glinting off from the polished metal. Even to Julius and his men the smell light was overly bright and smell so pungent they almost gagged. As quick as it all was the Magicians were quicker. As he yelled to the guards before they could enter he was dangling by his neck from the grip of an Egyptian Vampyre. He had no leverage with his feet off the ground and his sword was no longer within his reach.


The strangling grip only lasted a few seconds as the din rose in the room along with the light and the overpowering scent, the Vampyres fell to the floor covering their eyes and ears, groveling on the ground in surprise and pain. Their breath came in choked gasps as they struggled to overcome the sudden assault to their senses. Ptolemy stood in shock unable to respond to the unexpected change of events. Only two Vampyres had come with Ptolemy and Caesar and his men immediately fell upon them. Two of them struggled to subdue one while Julius and the other two bound the other. Even with all of the advantages Julius had he was amazed at how difficult it was to wrap the ropes and chains around this creature. Its strength was incredible and it took longer than expected to bind and gag it. When the first was bound they turned and helped the others with the second Vampyre. Although still disabled by the light and smell in the room, this one was getting over its initial surprise and fighting back with its eyes clamped shut and holding its breath. All five men struggled for what seemed and eternity, but final managed to bind the creature with chain and rope. Once both creatures were bound, they were placed in Carpet bags like the one Cleopatra had arrived in and the bags were again wrapped in chain and rope. Only after this was done did they turn their attention to the still immobile Ptolemy. The boy's regal bearing was gone and he stood there a frightened thirteen year old out of his element. Swords drawn the guards surrounded the boy. Julius picked up his own sword and gently placed the tip of it to Ptolemy's throat. "How many more of them are there?" He demanded. Ptolemy swallowed the motion causing his adams apple to press against the tip of the sword and draw a drop of blood. "I dont know" he said. "Only my three advisors live in the palace. The others occupy temples as high priests"


"Where is your third advisor boy" Julius growled raising the tip of the sword to the boys cheek, "how come he is not here?"


Tears trickled from Ptolemy's eyes "I don't know" he sobbed "I have not seen him since last time we were in this room. The others seemed agitated at his disappearance, but they told me nothing"


Caesar lowered in sword. "You are my prisoner." he said "You will be confined to your quarters, your servants and guards will be replaced by my own." Two of Julius's guard dressed in the magician's clothes and escorted the boy back to his room, they would not hold up under close scrutiny but any casual observers would believe the boy and his Magicians had come and gone without incident.


With his immediate goals accomplished Julius set some servants to removing the metal and sconces while others scrubbed the floors to remove the scent of the herbs. He placed the two Vampyres in locked chests in his sleeping quarters. Word soon spread that the boy king was captive and Rome was backing Cleopatra's claim.


That evening he had two visitors. The first was Cleopatra; she came in the door dressed in her royal best, far from the bag and rags of their last meeting. "I see you have made a decision" she said. Before she could say anything else Julius motioned her to silence. Locking the door to the outer chambers he led her into the bedroom and locked that door also. "What is it you have in mind?" She asked raising her eyebrows. Once again Julius motioned for her to be silent. He walked over to one of the chests, unlocked its lid and opened it with a smile. "A surprise I think you will enjoy my dear. Take a look." Julius reached into the chest and pulled up the chain wrapped carpet bag. "An idea I got from you." he said as he untied the top and lowered it enough to unveil the gagged face of the Magician it contained. The creature stared at them both. Fear and anger registered on its face, and it struggled with its bonds. Julius had no fear though they had wrapped the creature with enough to chain to hold ten Nile crocodiles together, and there was insufficient room in the box for it to truly struggle. Caesar pulled the bag back over its head retied the top and pushed the creature back down in the box locking the lid over it again.


"I am impressed" she said. "I would not have thought it possible to capture them alive, but what of those you serve? Are they any better than these?"


Julius took her back into the office chamber and told her the whole story. For hours he explained how he had met them and how they had ruled and ruined his life ever since. He told her he planned to destroy them, about the strange one from Britannia and the information it had given. When he was done he invited her to join him in the coming war to free Rome from these creatures for ever.


"We would have to keep this a secret from the people." he said "We can not afford to panic the populace. We would also have to continue to pretend to do their bidding until we are ready to strike. Egypt will become officially a province of Rome. If we do not do this we will both lose our lives and puppets will take our places, only too happy to do their bidding thru fear or for personal gain."


She considered what he had said. After several minutes of contemplation she looked up at him. "I see no other choice." She said "For Egypt or Rome. My brother is as much a victim of these creatures as you or anyone else. We will be united in this, but I want him protected until we can discern if he was simply under their sway or welcomed their support in ousting me."


"Agreed" said Julius "we will not harm any pawns unless they are of evil intent themselves or it can not be avoided. For now we will keep the pretense of a romance between you and me. It supplies adequate reason for us to be alone, thus not arousing suspicion."


When Cleopatra left she had been in his chambers for several hours, long enough to start rumor of a budding romance throughout the palace.


Soon after the door closed behind her his second visitor arrived. "You have had a very busy day." It said "Servants bustling about all morning. A visit from the upstarts announcing your support for Cleopatra and few hours behind closed doors." It smirked at Julius while it spoke. "Tell me of the visit from Ptolemy, we see you have placed under arrest. What of his magicians? Any trouble with them, and why does it stink so in your chambers today?"


"I sent word to Ptolemy this morning that his request for an audience with you had been denied." Julius began "He came with two of his Magicians. I told them that you had decided it was in the best interest of Rome to back Cleopatra and that Egyptians magician or otherwise had any rights to the glory of Rome. They became enraged and broke open several jars of herbs that had been stored temporarily in this chamber. Shortly after that they left with no explanation. It was strange; I had feared they would kill me or attempt to extract some sort of revenge. Instead shortly after their violent outburst they fled with Ptolemy in tow. I sent servants and guards to secure him in his chambers and again met with no resistance. I have not seen them since."


"Its no wonder." the Vampyre laughed "I can only imagine the stench in this room if it still smells so now."


"Really?" asked Julius innocently "I can not smell anything now, perhaps I have become accustomed to the smell."


The Vampyre's smile vanished as if realizing too late it had said too much. "Strange how the nose becomes accustomed to such things." It said. "You need not worry about these magicians; we have been interviewing one of them for the past few days. Their numbers are few; we will take care of them. As for the other two advisors, we will find them. Do not concern yourself." It grinned again and said. "Enjoy your plaything; just make sure you secure Egypt for us. We will soon have more to do, do not dally overlong here." Having said all it came to say, it vanished. Julius smiled at its departure. He now had a measure of their strength. He knew their senses could be overpowered, crippling them, and was beginning to understand how to watch them despite their incredible speed. Doors still needed to be opened, curtains moved. Their passing stirred candles. Yes they could be defeated. Now he needed answers to new questions. How many of them were there? If they were in Rome Britannia and Egypt, where else were they? They had said the numbers in Egypt were few compared to those is Rome. Did this mean 10 in Egypt 100 in Rome or 100 in Egypt and thousands in Rome? Yes he decided that is the next question that must be answered, how many of the enemy existed and where? Fortunately he had two captives who just might be persuaded to answer questions. He walked to his bed chamber and kicked the chests. Yes given some time he would have his answers.


Unfortunately time was something he did not have in abundance. As soon as word spread that Rome was backing Cleopatra and claiming Egypt, Ptolemy's military commanders and the remaining Vampyres in Egypt began to stir the populace in Ptolemy's name. It was not yet known that he was captive in his own palace. The palace was stormed by soldiers loyal to Ptolemy who told they did so at his command. Julius's reinforcements had yet to arrive and he was hard pressed to hold back the insurgents.


After several assaults on the palace Julius held a public meeting. He had to convince the people they were mistaken and Rome and Egypt were partners, at least until more troops came. He appeared with Cleopatra at his side and explained that Cleopatra and Ptolemy were to be co-rulers in accordance with the wishes of the old king. He even went so far as to promise Cyprus would be returned to Egypt so that the younger two could have its rule and all would be as was dictated by Cleopatra's father before he died. This did little to sway the populace and the high priests and commanders loyal to Ptolemy's cause continued to foment rebellion.


There were continued assaults on the palace and Julius began to worry that all would be lost if his reinforcements did not arrive soon.


Things were tense in the palace. The troops and servants were worried that they would be cut off from supplies and Cleopatra grew anxious wondering if siding with Julius had been wise after all. One morning as he was inspecting the defenses a messenger came to him to report that several animals had been found dead by the water supply. He immediately went to the wells to see for himself. As he approached Cleopatra met him expressing concern about their ability to outlast these assaults. His attempts at reassuring her were not going well and were further hampered by the discovery that the wells had indeed been poisoned. He knew it was time to act. His life had been full of desperate gambles and fortune always favored him. First he commanded that new wells be dug; he then set about preparing for action. He needed to prove to Cleopatra that they could win; her faith in him was not misplaced.


Julius gathered half of his men and briefed them on his plans. If they thought he was insane they kept it to themselves. Caesar's reputation for good fortune was well known and if anyone could succeed against such odds it would be him.


In the grey before dawn they set out from the palace. first they made their way to the harbor and set fire to the Egyptian ships there, thus ensuring they would not be cut off from supplies or reinforcements. As the flames spread throughout the ships the wind began to pick up and the cities granaries and the famed royal library were soon in flames as well. The Egyptian army was now alerted to Caesar's movements and time was of the essence. Taking advantage of the distraction of the fire Julius's engineers began to erect a bridge to the island and lighthouse off shore. He intended to control the harbor. He and his men rowed out to take the island. As he beached on the shore and began his assault, the defenders distracted by the flames from the shore were taken by surprise. The fight was going well his men were in such good spirits that even the oarsmen wanted to get in on the action and scurried ashore hurling stones and slinging insults at the Egyptian soldiers. This broach in discipline worried Caesar but things were well in hand and he thought to correct it later after the fight was done.


To his dismay however the Egyptians saw there chance and charged the oarsmen. Weaponless and vulnerable they scrambled back to their ships and attempted to get back to the relative safety of the water. The rest of the Roman soldiers panicked, shouts went out that the oarsmen were leaving behind and a mad dash for the ships ensued. Several ships were swamped and sank as too many tried to pile in, and several including Julius's own were firmly grounded and they could not cast off. All attempts at rallying the men to return to the fight were useless. Realizing that his situation was untenable, Caesar cast off his commander's cloak, dropped his sword and all that would weigh him down and swam for safety. The last glimpse he had as he climbed into a boat and they struck off for shore was of the enemy waving his cloak around like a souvenir, jeering at the fleeing Romans. This was not the decisive victory he had been looking for, still they succeeded in destroying the Egyptian fleet and showing the Enemy that they were not helpless trapped in the Palace.


By now word had spread that Ptolemy was a captive in the palace. After the fires had been put out it was discovered that several of the High Priests who had been instigating the violence were missing. People began to wonder if they had abandoned them. The people started to questions what they were being told and demanded to see Ptolemy. When their demands had reached Caesar's ears he and Cleopatra went to see the boy in his chambers. On the way there they had much to discuss.


"It was a foolish thing you attempted Julius." She said. "You could have lost a lot more men then you did, or been killed yourself."


"Just look at the results" he replied "Their armies are crippled, the soldiers unsure, and seems the Roman Vampyres may have been out hunting Egyptian ones as well. We couldn't ask for anything better then them fighting amongst themselves."


Cleopatra nodded. "Now they want Ptolemy back. He isn't going to want to go. He is a new person and so much happier without his advisors."


"This may be just what we need. If the Magicians numbers have been thinned by the Vampyres and the armies are looking for leadership, maybe releasing him will end this."


Cleopatra laughed "For a brilliant man Julius you are an unbelievable optimist. You always assume things will just fall into place in your favor."


"I am seldom wrong my dear. They say I am favored by the gods."


They reached Ptolemy's chambers, nodded to the guards at the entrance and went inside. The boy was perched on a stool reading a papyrus scroll. "Ahh my sister and my savior what brings you two here today? Or are we to chat some more about ethics and the influence of bad men?" he chuckled "I believe I have learned that lesson now."


"We are here to discuss your release." Julius said "The armies and the people would like you returned to them."


Ptolemy paled. "Don't make me go back to them." he began to tremble "you have no idea what they are like, what they can do."


Julius sighed. "You must be strong Ptolemy. Your people need to be told to listen to reason. Bring them into the fold before my reinforcements come." Julius stopped himself; he didn't want this to sound like a threat. "Just go to your generals, tell them you wish to speak to the people. Let it be known you don't want to see any advisors except the generals. This will flatter them and they will keep the magicians away from you."


Ptolemy began to weep "You don't understand Julius, I can't do it, they will find me. They will make me do things."


Julius grew impatient with his whining. "Grow up Ptolemy" he said. Be a man and do what is right for your people. If you do not, these magicians will continue to stir rebellion and unrest. People will die boy, and it will be on your shoulders."


Cleopatra glared at Julius angry at what he said but understanding the need. Bloodshed was what the Magicians and Vampyres alike wanted. Only evil would benefit. "It is ok Ptolemy" She said "Julius is right. This is our best chance to prevent further bloodshed."


Ptolemy dried his eyes and stood. He squared hi shoulders as best he could and tried to look brave. "As you say sister." he said "I can see you will not listen to me and the decision has already been made." He shrugged as if accepting his fate. "I will leave this afternoon." He turned his back to them and began rolling papyrus scroll and stuffing them into protective tubes. Cleopatra and Julius left him to prepare for his departure.


"I don't like this Julius" She said "What if he is right and they control him again." Caesar frown at that "What if he is pretending, saying only what we want to hear and he will welcome them? What if he goes out there and turns the people to our side and abdicates the throne to you? What if he falls in the Nile and drowns or become food for a crocodile?" he shook his head "No we will not second guess ourselves. This is the best course of action and it is done."


Once again Cleopatra only nodded in response. Julius was right, but she still didn't like it. She had a bad feeling about this.


"We did not get enough information from our captives before they died" Julius said "The months we have been cooped up here waiting for more of my troops should have been more productive then they were."


"We need to capture a Roman" Cleopatra replied "and we need to find a place we can interrogate him without the constant fear of being caught."


Julius stopped and looked at her "Do you have something in mind?" he asked. "This will be far more risky than before, and we still need to find a way to keep it alive." They had learned from the captive magicians that Vampyres did not eat food, they found their sustenance in human blood, a fact that Julius had suspected before. They had been unwilling to sacrifice people to these things and keep them alive. Within a week the captives became weak and after thirty days they began to die. It took much longer for their lives to at last come to an end, but end they did. The only thing of real value they had learned was that these things need to feed on human blood every few days to stay strong. If they did not feed weekly they lost their powers and became like regular men after a month they were no stronger then babies and their skin started to wither, their already pale skin grew stark white, and their emaciated frames became as frail as dried twigs. While useful this information would hardly win them any battles. It would be impossible to starve them out. The monsters hadn't spoken at all unless it was to issue threats. They were too sure they would be rescued or that Julius would be caught by the Roman Vampyres and killed. It wasn't until they were too weak to talk that they realized the truth of their situation.


That afternoon Ptolemy left the palace without a word or a backwards glance. Within hours he was at the head of his army ready to fight for his right to the throne. It was a sad day for Cleopatra, who believed she had put them back into the clutches of the Magicians. Caesar however believed they had been played for fools and Ptolemy was simply evil at heart.


That evening he received word that Ptolemy's armies were on the march at the same time he heard his reinforcements had at long last arrived.
© Copyright 2009 ftc021 (UN: ftc021 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ftc021 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649164-chapter-4