*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653845-Flossies-144th-Lesson
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
#653845 added June 9, 2009 at 6:59pm
Restrictions: None
Flossie's 144th Lesson
FLOSSIE'S 144th LESSON

The day was made for me and my flicka, Flossie. (Flicka is Swedish for "Little girl"). Weatherwise, it was sunny, cool, and pretty; the track, even though it still held some remnants of last week's rain, was dry, and all of the parts that mattered to me were perfect. Flossie was feeling good and gave me a great ride. She flew around the track. I had her trot, and then canter, the entire way around. We did some circling in our favorite corner, but I didn't work her in the paddock because it was still a bit damp and I didn't want her footprints chewing it up.

After my ride, I took her down the driveway to cool her off. When the weather's cool during the winter months, I take some hot water to pour over her back after I untack her. By the time I go to use it, the water is a nice temperature.
In the summer, I use cool water. I don't have a sweat scraper, so I run the side of my hand down her sides and flick the water off with my fingers. It works like a charm.

I visited with Blaze and BamBam at their respective stalls for a while. I can remember when they were both young and lived in the big paddock with Flossie and their mothers. That seems so long ago now. Blaze is a gelding and both he and BamBam have been pulling a gig now for months already. How fast time flies!

© Copyright 2009 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653845-Flossies-144th-Lesson