*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653858
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1442220
Campbell moves to Oakridge and becomes enmeshed with Jack, who has a life-changing secret.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#653858 added June 12, 2009 at 8:54pm
Restrictions: None
Surprise
"If that nurse isn't fired, I swear I will sue someone."

Jack was sitting on my temporary bed, his hands holding his forehead and his furious eyes flashing from bright blue to crimson.

"Calm down," I said softly, running my fingers through his beautiful black hair. He punched his thigh in frustration. The sound was like two rocks hitting each other. I jumped.

"Those idiotic, amateur nurses! It said as plain as day on your chart that you're allergic to acetaminophen!"

I sighed. He had been going on about this for an hour. "Jack, I had no idea I was allergic to-"

"Ever noticed how your parents never gave you Tylenol?" he interrupted grimly. "It's because Tylenol has acetaminophen in it, and so does Lortab!"

"I thought it was because every time I got sick, they never bothered with medicine, they just rushed me straight to the hospital,"  I mumbled. "And I've taken Tylenol before, it's never made me sick."

"Not in small doses," he muttered angrily. Then he spouted, "You could have died!"

"I'm aware of that. You don't need to keep reminding me. ARRG, my arm hurts!" I cried, trying futilely to rip my cast off.

"I'm sorry," Jack said sadly, averting his eyes from mine. "Let's talk about something else."

"Okay," I said in agreement. "What's been going on at school?"

"Campbell, I skipped school to see you." he reminded me.

"Oh yeah." I paused, trying to think of what to say next. I pulled on his arm, but sadly it did not budge. He smirked and lay down in the bed next to me, sighing. "I'm really glad you're here," I mumbled.

He rolled over on his side and smiled. "So am I."

His icy palm found my cheek. I froze, waiting for him to do or say something. But he merely stared at me curiously. It was strange to be gazed at like that; his expression gave me the feeling of being x-rayed. My cheek tingled.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I demanded, unable to bear the x-raying any longer.

He shook his head slowly. "You were a small baby. Only five pounds."

I narrowed my eyes. "How... how did you know that?"

He looked down, as if ashamed. "Sometimes, when I get to know some really well... I can see not only their future, but their past. I... I don't like it much. It makes me feel like an intruder. But I can't help it, there's so much in your past that intrigues me, Campbell."

I found it hard to believe that anything from my childhood was interesting. "Like what?" I asked suspiciously.

He raised his beautiful eyes to mine and x-rayed me again. I shifted in my bed uncomfortably. "As a baby, you hardly ever cried. You seemed to realize that crying was useless. And you always slept straight through the night. I imagine that made your parents happy," he said, gazing thoughtfully into space. He chuckled.

"I still don't see why this intrigues you," I muttered, interrupting his reverie.

"I've been alive for a long time, Campbell," Jack told me. "Two hundred fifty-five years have taught me a lot about human nature. People, no matter what they say, always look after their needs first. They're just naturally selfish. But you... you put your needs in the hands of other people."

"What are you saying?" I whispered, hoping that a nurse wouldn't barge in. "That I don't look after myself?"

"No," he said softly. "I'm saying that you have an incredible ability to trust. Don't you see? This is what makes us a perfect match! I have major trust issues, I'll admit that. But there's never been someone I trusted more than you."

Something warm swelled up inside my chest. Once I thought about it, everything he had said made perfect sense. As a child, I hardly ever fussed because I knew my parents would always take care of everything I needed. I trusted that they would. Maybe this was my one major weakness. Once I got to know someone and liked them, it was hard not to put all my confidence in them. And if they hurt me, it was hard for me to understand why. I couldn't lose trust in someone, even if they lost trust in me.

"I love you," he said quietly. His frigid lips kissed my forehead. "But I feel extremely selfish. I'm keeping you from a normal life-"

"No you're-"

"-and I don't deserve you," he finished despite my protests. "You have such a perfect life ahead of you. I'm... afraid I'll hurt you."

I made an incredulous noise. "I don't think you could hurt me. There's no way you would let yourself."

"Accidents happen," he whispered.

"You said yourself that you'll never let your guard down! I fully believe that, and you should too," I said firmly. When he didn't look up, I took his face in both of my hands. "You just need to trust yourself."

He laughed musically and my heart leaped. "You're right."

"I usually am," I laughed back, scratching a hive on my arm.

He gave me a disapproving look. "Campbell, what did the doctor just get finished telling you?"

"Umm... 'Sit still so I can put this IV in?'"

"Stop scratching," he replied, taking my good hand in his grasp and holding it so tight that I could barely twitch my fingers.

"It... itches!" I whined, struggling to get my hand loose. It was hopeless.

"I know, but you can't scratch it."

"Why not?!"

"Because I said so," he answered, smirking. I snorted. "I've been to medical school four times. almost the first thing you learn is that scratching irritates the skin, therefore making the itch worse."

"Then get me some anti-itch cream or something! Dr. Lewis."

"How do you think it would look if someone saw me digging in the hospital's medicine stock?"

"Ever heard of Walgreens?"

He made a noise like a half-sigh, half-snarl. "i thought you wanted me to stay here."

I made a disgruntled face, trying to think of a comeback. He snickered, realizing that he had won the argument. Suddenly a thought occurred to me. "I'm going to a party on Friday."

He turned, and his expression was disbelieving. "You aren't the party type."

I ignored that remark. "So I have to be out of here by tomorrow, because Vanessa and I are going dress shopping for the occasion."

He made that freakish noise again, like he thought shopping was hardly a good reason to skimp out on my "recovery." Then he abruptly said, "I'm going too."

"Shopping?"

"No, you impatient human, to the party."

"You don't even know what it's for!"

He grinned and sudden;y he was x-raying me again. "The mayor's wife is turning thirty-two," he said confidently.

"You can't go," I tried desperately.

"Yes I can."

"it's invitation only," I put out. Ha. I win.

"I think you'll find that I can get anything I want," he proclaimed with a mischievous smile. I silently agreed. Who could resist him when he decided to be charming, which was frequently?

"You're such a snot," I grumbled.

"Really?" he asked, uninterested.

"Fine then, you're a cheater. I had to work for my invitation."

"Liar," he grinned, and the x-raying began. "Your mom bragged about you to everyone in her office and the mayor thought he better invite you too."

"Stop rubbing your annoying powers in my face," I muttered weakly.

Suddenly he burst out laughing. I stared at him wondrously. "Your science project in second grade," he managed through his laughter.

"What about it?"

"It was a paper mache volcano. And it exploded."

My face reddened. "That wasn't my fault. My partner put too much vinegar in it."

"No, I don't think so," he reasoned, his eyes boring into mine. "There you are... almost toothless... mispronouncing 'Vesuvius'... a little slip of the hand while you're pouring in the vinegar, and splat all over the classroom." He couldn't keep himself from laughing. "Your partner had a crush on you."

I reddened again. "That's Henry Moss. The volcano was his idea."

"Volcanoes are one of the few things seven-year-old boys are interested in."

"That and heavy machinery."

"Nice overalls. Do they have puppies on them?"

"Oh no, was I wearing those things?"

He nodded, highly amused. "Unfortunately all that food coloring ruined them."

"Maybe that's why my dad through them away."

"That, or they hurt his eyes."

"Okay, enough," I said, pulling myself into a sitting position, my arm aching dully. A thought suddenly whooshed into my mind. I turned to him slowly. "Did you predict this happening? Me breaking my arm?"

He avoided my eyes. "I saw that it might possibly occur, yes."

"Then why didn't you tell me?" I cried. "I could be home right now, enjoying the use of both my ulnas!"

"It doesn't work that way, Campbell," he said calmly, as if he had explained this to four-year-olds many times before. "I can't stop things from happening. Well, I could, but I keep myself from interfering. If someone's walking down the street and I push them out of the way of a bus because I saw them getting hit by it, I've altered their life. They were supposed to get hit by that bus. I just changed the course of their life. It's the same thing with you. Obviously God decided you needed to break your arm."

I sighed. "Whatever. You probably get your kicks by walking around seeing random people's futures."

"Well, some don't look too good right now," he added, then abruptly looked away. I could tell he hadn't meant to say that.

"What do you mean?" I asked immediately.

Jack didn't look at me, but at my IV as he spoke slowly, reluctantly. "This vampire... he isn't going to leave. He's moved in. And pretty soon he'll get hungry again."

I gasped and involuntarily grabbed his hand. That seemed to surprise him. "Y-You can see it? Can you see his future?"

"It's complicated," he muttered. "I don't want to scare you."

My finger shook as I grasped his wrist. "Jack, tell me!" I begged, frightened. "What is it? What is he going to do?"

He hesitated for such a long time that I was tempted to shake it out of him, even though I knew I could never budge him. "He's going to murder two more people before we catch him. But I can't know for sure, my visions are never-"

"Who?" I whispered, frozen.

"I'm not telling you, but... he has a list."

"A list?"

"In my vision..." he started, looking away as if trying to remember. "I see myself holding a list of names. Leah Lawrence and two others have been crossed out. This means that we were wrong. He doesn't kill because he has to, he kills because he wants to."

My eyes widened and I gripped his hand even harder. "You have to go to the police. If you tell them those names, then maybe-"

"No human protection is going to stop a vampire," he interrupted. "And I can't jsut waltz into the police station and tell them who's going to be murdered!"

"You could call in anonymously-" I suggested feebly.

"They can easily track you down."

"Jack! This is about saving lives!"

"And what am I supposed to say when they ask me how I know? 'I'm a vampire who can see the future?'"

"Okay, I-"

"And I'm not telling you anything either. People can tap into your mind, Campbell, and I don't want you to be accountable for what you know."

"All right, all right!" I cried. "I understand. But are you going to protect these people?"

He sighed. "We'll try. The future can change, maybe they don't have to die. To tell you the truth, though, I'd much rather spend my time with you." He picked up my casted hand and kissed it. "I guess I'm just selfish."

My face had flushed and I was about to give a reply, but at that moment Vanessa burst through the automatic door. Jack was on the other side of the room so quickly I didn't see him move. She nearly mowed over the coffee table as she ran up to my bed. My dad followed behind at a distance, realizing the danger of Vanessa when she was in full swing.

"I'm sorry, Campbell! I couldn't get off work until now!" she cried, her eyes raking over me. "My God, what's happened to your skin?"

"Hives," I replied angrily. "Another reaction to the medicine. Dr. Blair said it'll go away soon. Jack," I put playful emphasis on the name, "says I can't scratch it."

"Good, scratching makes in worse," Vanessa trilled, casting an adoring glance at Jack. He seemed a bit disturbed. "We talked to the doctor downstairs and he said you could come home today, if you feel well enough," my dad told me. I noticed that he looked very nice today. His wavy hair was thoroughly combed and he wore a crisp white polo. Hmmm.

"Yes yes yes!" I squeaked. "Take me home!"

Vanessa pushed the nurse button and gave me my clothes to change into. they had once again put me in an icky blue hospital gown. I was so happy to be back in my jeans that I twirled around like a model.

The motherly nurse made a gigantic fuss over me, trying to convince me to sit in a wheelchair so she could tow me out. I stubbornly refused. The truth was, I felt a little queasy, so carting me around like groceries probably wasn't the best idea. The nurse finally left me alone, though she wasn't happy about it. the four of us walked down to the parking lot together.

"Want to ride with me?" Jack whispered unexpectedly in my ear, so quietly that my parents didn't hear. I nodded. He prodded me towards Vanessa.

"Mom, can I ride home with Jack?" I asked carefully. She grinned at my dad, probably because she knew more about Jack than he did or because I called her "Mom" again.

"Sure!"

My dad gave both of us a suspicious look as we crossed to the other side of the lot. I waved once I caught sight of Jack's sleek black convertible; he waved back half-heartedly. We climbed into the car and followed my parents towards the hospital exit. We didn't talk until we lost sight of them at a stoplight. Then Jack spoke. "We need to figure out who this vampire is." Raindrops began to fall on the windshield. "He'll be someone who just moved here, probably trying to disguise himself." He turned to me. "If I'm not at that party on Friday, watch everyone carefully. You know what a vampire looks like. If you see one, stay away. You have our scent on you, so he'll most likely avoid you anyway."

"What about Vanessa? She won't know to watch out for herself."

"Just try to keep her occupied. Tell her you're sick and want to leave, if it comes to that," he answered, then continued to describe the traits of vampires. I listened raptly, trying to store every bit of information into my overworked brain.

It was a while before I realized we had ceased moving and we were parked in my driveway. I quickly released my seat belt and said goodbye to Jack,

My feet lagged behind as I trudged towards the doorstep. The sun had broken through the clouds and stopped the rain, and was now beating down on the poor little plants in front of the house. They raised their leaves in a weak plea for their lives, but the evil sun showed no mercy. Vanessa, although I didn't remember her opening the door, was standing in the doorway, about to burst with glee. She was bobbing on the balls of her feet. I watched as she put something she had been holding on the ground and it flew towards me.

My first thought was that I was being attacked by a Furby. I shrieked and hopped around, trying to get it off my legs, before I realized that it wasn't attacking me, but trying to untie my shoelaces. I peered down at it.

It was a puppy.

Vanessa ran forward, scooping it up in her arms and laughing. She held it out to me. It stared at me with little brown eyes and panted and wiggled its legs. I took it into my arms, confused as it tried to climb up my torso.

"We got a puppy!" she cried delightedly, watching the said puppy lick my chin.

It took me a few seconds to remember that I had always wanted a dog. I held it out at arms length and looked it over. It had floppy ears, brown curly hair, and little freckles around its nose. "What kind of dog is it?"

"A Cocker Spaniel. And she's a girl," Vanessa sang.

I chuckled as the puppy struggled to lick me. I set her down and she instantly began tugging on my shoelaces again.

"Aww!" I laughed.

"She's cute, huh? We got her from a lady in Westwood. She had fourteen of them. Can you believe that?"

I shook my head, trying to imagine fourteen rambunctious Cocker Spaniels gamboling about. No one would ever be able to keep their shoes tied. "Wow."

The puppy galloped over to Vanessa's rosebush and happily peed on it.

"This is the beginning of the end for my flowers," she sighed. "Oh well. Come on, there's more inside!"

"More?" I asked in bewilderment, chasing after the dog and picking her up. She wiggled in my arms as Vanessa pulled me inside. I stumbled over the doormat before gasping in surprise.

It looked like the floral shop had exploded! My mouth hung open as I stared around the living room. Flowers covered every inch of every surface. There were three teddy bears in top of the TV, and boxes of chocolates wherever they could fit. There were roses, carnations, tulips, daisies, and even some flowers I couldn't name. My dad's head was peeking out from behind a mountain of stuffed animals. He grinned ecstatically.

"Holy..." I muttered, not even finishing the sentence. The puppy was spazzing out in my arms, no doubt wanting to play tug-of-war with a few delicate teddy bears.

"How many friends do you have?" my dad asked in wonder.

I just shook my head. I didn't deserve all this! I gently picked a small notecard from a case sporting giant, mutant yellow roses.

"I'm so sorry you got hurt. I would have come to see you, but dumb Mrs. Lewallen gave us a big test in History. Hope you understand. Get well soon!
-From Hazel Lewis." My impression of her dislike for me vanished.

"I wont need air freshener for a month! And I get to keep the vases, yay!" Vanessa cried giddily, dancing around the living room.

I smelled a nearby assortment of carnations while the puppy tried desperately to smell them too. The card clipped to it read,

"Campbell, you better be back at school soon, because it's so boring here without you. Love from Tiffany Gray.
P.S. What's the deal with you and Jack Lewis? I need details!"

Ha, like I'm going to give them to you, I thought. My heart jumped when I saw the next card was from Bronwyn. Her gift was a soft white polar bear sporting three red tulips.

"Really, those nurses gave you Lortab when you were allergic?! Well I hope you get well soon! jack's coming over on Thursday and we're cmoing with him whether he likes it or not. See you then!
-From Bronwyn Lewis."

I sighed with overwhelming happiness and flopped onto the sofa, scooting over a box of Russell Stover's and a pink bunny. My dad took the puppy from my hands and she happily began to lick him.

Next to me was a single blue flower that I had never seen before. I picked up the card next to it.

"Hi, Campbell! I heard that the color blue was supposed to bring good health, and this was the only blue flower they had. Hope you like it! The cashier said it's supposed to be rare, but I think I saw some growing by Highway 81.
Your friend from art, Piper Small."

Hmm. I laughed. She was weird indeed.

The three of us sat and watched TV together, absorbing in the cheerfulness of all the bright colors around us. By six o'clock, I had succeeded in reading most of the cards, despite the puppy's frequent bladder urges. I was surprised to find a bouquet of pink roses from my cousins in California, who I hadn't seen in nine years. Some were from people I had never heard of, like the mayor, who sent my a lollipop bouquet.  My favorite was a stuffed giraffe from Johanna Small. It was mega fuzzy, had googly eyes, and its tongue was stuck out. I could just see her picking it off a shelf in excitement and running over to Piper to compare who's gift was stranger.

There was, however, a tiny, minuscule, lingering feeling of disappointment that I hadn't gotten anything from Jack. I told myself that I was being totally, undeniably, extremely ridiculous. He skipped a History test to stay with me while I whined about my cast. I did not deserve him. He was perfect, kind, a genius, and overall amazing, and I was a nosy human who got hurt all the time.

When the clock struck seven, I noticed a square object perched precariously on the edge of Vanessa's glass coffee table. It was my Calculus book. I picked it up and pulled a sheet of notebook paper out that had been sticking out at the top.

"Calculus- Pg. 334, #1-53 no even numbers
English- Macbeth, Act I Scenes 1-3 (Pg. 955 in the literature book)
History- study chapter 18 for test
Physics- we did a lab; Mr. Barnes will excuse you from it.
You're Welcome."

I had recognized Jack's handwriting immediately, and my heart gave a silly flutter. Under the Calculus book was a literature book, which weren't allowed outside of the classroom.

Will finish tomorrow























© Copyright 2009 Erin-bo-baron (UN: cupcakesgorawr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Erin-bo-baron has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653858