*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/659969-Day-6-Task-2
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1568380
Hodgepodge of things. Contest entries, short stories, scenes, my newsletters and other ...
#659969 added July 19, 2009 at 10:29pm
Restrictions: None
Day 6 Task 2
Day 6 Task 2: Write an impassioned account of the experience you got in this contest (Authors' Spotlight). Tell us what you gained, what you lost, in short, everything you can remember. Try and make the item light-hearted, honest, and heart-felt. Minimum word count ... oh, it does not matter. It can be a poem, a dialogue, a monologue, a story, an article, a news-item, or any darn thing you want. Just enjoy writing about it! Thanks.

My Authors’ Spotlight


To be a part of this contest was great experience, as it made me go out of my comfort zone. The interviews with senior moderators, as well as my fellow group members added a level of involvement rarely seen in any contests. I learned about other people on a different level than I ever could by reading their work or even communicating via email. Random questions draw very interesting answers.

For the creative writing parts, I don’t know how much will be appreciated. Some of the prompts weren’t the kind of things I would normally enter a contest for, so I was forced to go out of my wheelhouse quite a bit. Once I got past my initial frustration, I was able to write for the prompts and even like a couple of my stories.

What I found hardest was the two tasks per day requirement and the reviews. Except for one item none of those poems would have been anything I would have normally commented on, and I’m afraid it shows.

I did have a lot of fun, and to split the contestants into groups was a very good idea. It created some great moments in our private forum. Of course what little competition we had between the groups was minimal, it was more funny than truly competitive.

This contest also showed me how hard it is, to keep at it for several days in a row. I did that once for the seven years’ anniversary of "The Writer's Cramp - Poetry Week"   by Sophy , to write for each day’s prompt. And I also entered "15 for 15 Contest --- Closed"   by Legerdemain , which was a great challenge. I like those challenges, as they require quite a bit of discipline, which I don’t necessarily have.

To be honest, I am happy it’s over. But not in a bad way. I feel accomplished that I was able to do this. I was on time with everything except for the reviews for day 5, which I thought were my least favorite task out of the twelve.

Oh, and not to forget the song lyrics. My goodness. I was the last one to add to that song. That was hard. Really hard. Poetry, lyrics, all that isn’t in me. I love short stories.

This Authors’ Spotlight Season 5 was a lot of fun. I might consider doing it again, if Dr. Taher lets me.

393 words without task description




© Copyright 2009 Annette (UN: annette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Annette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/659969-Day-6-Task-2