*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660227
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1583607
NathanXLeo, OCs, NC-17, YAOI, SD Part 1 of 6
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#660227 added July 21, 2009 at 9:47pm
Restrictions: None
Proposition
Chapter 3

Nathan was sitting on one of the game tables, watching as Leo dragged the bodies into a pile. He was slightly surprised that the law-upholding gendarmes hadn't arrived yet to see what all the commotion was about, but then again, they were in the city of Riddleport. Nathan grimaced when Leo swore loudly as an arm fell off of one of the thugs. One that Nathan had killed. Killed. He knew that he had to have fought back, unless he was to be killed instead, but it didn't mean that Nathan had to be completely fine with it.

With a final sounding thump, Leo heaved Angvar onto the top of the pile, turning to Nathan and brushing his hands off of each other in satisfaction. "That should do it."

Nodding, Nathan was about about to speak up when his vision unexpectedly began to swim, a wave of dizziness sweeping over him. Confused and unable to keep his bearings, he fell off the game table and onto the wooden floor. Pain rocketed through his head as it hit the ground, and all the hurts and injuries he had sustained during the battle were slowly drifting back to him. Nathan's vision cleared a bit, and he saw Leo kneeling over him with a worried look on his face. "What happened?!"

Closing his eyes, Nathan fought back another surge of vertigo and shrugged, only to have his shoulder scream out in response. Turning his head to look downwards at it, Nathan's eyes widened in surprise at the amount of blood that was flowing out of the wound. Perhaps it wasn't as much as a graze as I thought...

"I think- I think it's my shoulder. That woman shot at me... I guess I didn't realize the gravity of the wound, I thought it was just a glancing hit."

Leo bent over to look at the gash and shook his head in affirmation. "It was a light blow, but she hit a large vein close to the surface of your skin. You should have told me earlier, I could have easily fixed this before you lost this much blood."

"Sorry, it didn't hurt as much before. Though... how could I have missed," Nathan gestured his uninjured arm at the liquid pooling around him with a weak smile, "all this?"

"I have no idea, maybe the thing that gave you that bump on your head knocked a few things loose." Nathan scowled at the man, but Leo just chuckled.

As the other knelt down to get closer to the wound, Nathan realized something he hadn't before. "How are you going to mend it? I don't see any bandages on you."

Leo grinned in response. "Oh? You haven't noticed yet?" He gave a boisterous laugh that caused Nathan to smile weakly in spite of his injury. "I'm just gonna have to show you then."

Placing his hands just above the freely bleeding wound, Leo bowed his head and began muttering quietly in an almost musical tone that caught Nathan off guard. As the other man leaned forward, a golden hued medallion fell from underneath the other man's shirt, the chain jingling softly. The symbol was in the shape of a mug, the kind seen in taverns, and it was obviously very elegantly crafted. Something clicked within Nathan's brain, and his small smile grew a bit wider. Of course.

The hands hovering over his wound began to glow with a soft, auburn hued light. The light was faint at first, but it grew more intense as Leo continued to speak quickly and quietly. Nathan's shoulder gave a slight spasm, and he gritted his teeth together as the torn sinew and tissue knit themselves back together. He could feel a warm presence pulsing throughout his body, calming him, relaxing his taught muscles. The blood flow stopped early on, but a minute or two was needed until his flesh was as good as new. Leo stopped talking, the ginger luminescence fading away as well, and looked towards Nathan with a satisfactory look in his eyes.

Sitting up slowly, Nathan worked his previously wounded shoulder around and around, and was surprised to notice that along with his largest injury, most of the small bruises and scrapes that had adorned his body were absent as well. He looked up at Leo, thankfulness clearly written across his stunned features. "I... you... you're a cleric?"

Leo chuckled and put his hands up in the air with a sheepish smile. "Guilty as charged. You seem surprised." A playful glint flashed through his eyes, "And you're welcome by the way."

Nathan fought back an embarrassed flush; he had forgotten to thank the cleric, both for healing his wound and his help during the struggle. "I'm so sorry! Thank you Leo, as I think this is the second time you've saved my life."

Leo watched as Nathan warily stood up, and with a raised eyebrow and a poorly hid smile, he replied. "No worries, I was just joking around. Really, I'm just glad I could help."

"Still, I think-" A groan and a loud shout interrupted Nathan's reply and the pair twirled around to face the source of the noise. Vancaskerkin popped up from behind the game table, which Nathan could now see had half a dozen crude axes embedded deep into the velvety exterior. Looking around with wide eyes, realization of what had transpired most likely dawning upon the middle-aged man, Vancaskerkin finally seemed to notice Nathan and Leo. And the pile of bodies not too far from them.

Running towards the pair, seemingly unperturbed by the mound of corpses, Vancaskerkin grasped Nathan's hand and began shaking it wildly. "You! It appears as though fate has guided you to deliver me that package today, so you could protect my property and myself! I can't thank you enough!" The former crimelord let out an exasperated laugh before he seemed to notice Leo for the first time. "And who is this?"

"Leo Haywold, cleric of Cayden Cailean, at your service, sir." He took an over extravagant bow that forced Nathan to stifle a chuckle, which was returned with an equally over exaggerated wink.

Nathan took a step forward, and gestured at Leo. "Mr. Vancaskerkin, sir, if it weren't for him, I'd be dead on the floor. And you'd probably be there with me." He hadn't meant to come off sounding somber, but he had to get his point across that Leo had been the pivotal force in the battle, not himself.

With new respect, Vancaskerkin turned to Leo and nodded, holding out a hand for him to shake. "I see. I think it's appropriate that you receive some thanks as well, then Leo, and..." Embarrassment flashed across the older man's features as he turned to the apprentice alchemist. "I don't believe I know your name yet, boy."

Leo reached out and vigorously shook Vancaskerkin's hand, while Nathan laughed. "I'm Nathan Clifton, sir."

Vancaskerkin withdrew his arm and nodded, his face now set and serious looking. "Well then, Nathan, Leo. I'd say that I owe you big time, and as you probably have heard, I'm not very keen on being in debt these days as I was in my younger years. I want to repay you, and I think I have the perfect idea."

A thoughtful expression crossed Vancaskerkin's features. "First, Nathan, I think you deserve a certain reward." With a quick gait, the former crimelord walked over to the sack of vials lying beside the overturned game table he had previously been using as a source of shelter. Vancaskerkin picked the bag up, and returned to Nathan, holding out the bag to him to take. "For you."

Nathan eyed the bag warily, not quite ready to accept such an expensive, and dangerous, gift. "But... this was the reason why I came here. To give this to you, you bought it."

"And now I'm giving it back. What? Won't you accept a token of my appreciation?"

Warily, he grasped the bag and slung it over his shoulder. The collection of flasks really weren't that heavy, but he did feel a bit more formidable with it slung over his shoulder. Not to mention he had been feeling a bit inadequate with Leo and his pair of blades, alongside Vancaskerkin and the daggers that adorned his belt. Still... why would he have wanted a bag full of acid flasks? And why did he give them back so quickly after receiving them?

His thoughts were interrupted as Vancaskerkin moved to the chest on the middle of the room, obviously checking to see if it was still okay. "Yes... yes... oh, this is a relief. For a second I thought those brutes had spirited away some of the prize money." The former crimelord reached under the table and apparently pressed a hidden latch or switch, as the chains fell away and the ever-gaudy looking container was freed. Vancaskerkin picked it up and vanished into one of the back rooms.

Leo turned around. "You know, it surprises me how fast that guy can waddle around, considering his somewhat... short stature." A pause. "And whatever happened to our reward?"

"Oh, that's right. You haven't received one yet... maybe he forgot about you," Nathan mockingly replied, snickering as Leo took a swipe at him and missed. Nathan had surprised himself, he usually didn't laugh very often, and especially not so much after such a macabre turn of events. He stared at the cleric, a bit mystified. It felt like he had found a long lost brother, even though he'd only known the man for only ten minutes.

Just then, Vancaskerkin came bustling out from the back room, arms open wide and a smile plastered on his aging face. "Now, with that taken care of, I ask of you to stay for awhile to discuss... recent events over drinks."

Leo raised an eyebrow. "And the rewards."

Vancaskerkin gave a chuckle. "Yes, and the rewards."

The cleric shot a triumphant glance towards Nathan, and then turned back to the former crimelord. "Then yes, I'd be happy to join you for a drink or two."

Feeling two pairs of expectant eyes staring at him, Nathan resigned with a sigh. "Sure. I'm guessing Phillip won't want to call me back for today after he heard what happened. I might even get a few days free." Although, he wasn't too keen on staying with Vancaskerkin, the man was friendly enough, but one couldn't bury their past and be done with it so easily.

Vancaskerkin clapped his hands together loudly, and gestured to a wooden door on the far right of the room. "Fantastic! Through here then, and up the stairs." As the trio walked over to step through the wooden threshold and move to the upper floor, Nathan couldn't help but notice an ominous sort of feeling settling over him, one that seemed to speak of things to come.

::SHADOW IN THE SKY::

The sultry scent of fresh wine drifted up to Nathan's nose as he took a sip of an exceptionally good brand of the substance. He wasn't surprised.

They had been led up to a dining room, the hall long and impressive with an equally long and impressive mahogany dining table placed in the middle of the room. Wondrously crafted chairs were placed around the table, and the setting sun seen through a set of gaping windows set an orangish cast to everything the light touched. Nathan was seated beside Leo on one side of the table, while Vancaskerkin was seated on the other.

They had been very graciously served a small dinner, where Vancaskerkin had apologized for being a hindrance in the battle, to which Nathan had vehemently protested, and questioned the pair on what exactly had happened while he was passed out. Soon after, the sounds of steel clanking against each other was heard, along with a series of bumps from below. Apparently the gendarmes had arrived to cart off the bodies. Just thinking about Thuvalia and her lackeys caused a small pang of guilt to pop within Nathan's chest.

Vancaskerkin didn't seem to have any qualms about the robbery, he even acted as if it was a normal occurrence. Though, considering the former crimelord's past, it wasn't hard to believe. The man was now relaxed, contently sipping his wine every few moments. I suppose I really didn't have anything to worry about coming up here.

After a just minute more of comfortable silence, Vancaskerkin began. "Well. I guess we best get down to business, eh?" As if on command, two commonly dressed workers stepped in, and walked over to the fireplace, placing a few logs of wood inside the small alcove and lighting the pieces of fuel. They walked out, eerily silent. Nathan had the feeling Vancaskerkin was trying to impress his new guests. Leo looked over, an amused smirk on his features.

"Hearing you speak about how you stopped those undesirables in their tracks and drove them off warms my heart. I had thought that heroic acts were long gone in Riddleport, and I can't say how overjoyed I am to be proven wrong."

Leo nodded. "I know what you mean. Riddleport definitely isn't recognized for its shining examples of gallantry."

"I suppose it's not," said Vancaskerkin with a chuckle. "Which makes it exceptionally rare to see two young men with such high moral standards and willingness to do what's right."

Nathan felt a bit uneasy at this comment. He had only jumped Thuvalia on a whim, and yes the urge had steered his fate in the right direction, but he still didn't mean to such a brave act.

"Valentia, Larur? Bring in the goods." Seconds after he spoke, a woman with long red hair and a short-statured dwarf strode in, each holding a burlap sack bulging with items. When the pair reached the table, they each dumped out the contents of the bag in turn, pausing only to scoop the objects into a pile, and then left the room.

Laid out in front of Nathan and Leo were an range of myriad objects. There was a piece of twisted wood that looked much like a wand, an assortment of golden coins, and two familiar long, curvular steel bracers. It took just a second to look over the money and count how many coins were present; there were approximately fifty of them. The wand looked interesting, but Nathan really didn't know much about magic himself; he had no clue what it was for. The bracers were sturdy looking and shone with a bright sheen, still tugging at some part of Nathan's memory.

He didn't have to wonder long, as Leo pointed to the wrist armor and said slowly, "Those are Angvar's, aren't they? He was wearing them when I fought him." Nathan nodded as he remembered, Yeah, the spellcaster was wearing these. But that means...

"You took these?" The words were out of his mouth before he had even meant to speak.

Vancaskerkin looked at him in an odd way, as if he was a child who had failed to grasp the obvious. "Yes, you're correct, though the owners were common criminals and as you already know, dead. If you look at the big picture of things, it truly doesn't matter at all." Nathan nodded, he did understand the other's reasoning, but it still didn't stamp out the small feeling of guilt lodged in his gut.

The three of them didn't move for a time, and after a few more moments, Vancaskerkin shouted indignantly, "For god's sake, just take them already!"

He hadn't wanted to take one of the items first, Leo deserved it much more that he did. But it seemed the cleric was able to be polite as well. Hesitantly, Leo leaned forward. "I'll take the bracers, I doubt you'd use them as much as I would." The apprentice alchemist nodded, that was reasonable enough.

"And I'll take half the gold?" Leo looked to Nathan questioningly.

"Yeah, go ahead. I'll take this... wand? And the other half of the gold." He reached out his his arms and scooped his share of the loot to his side, Leo doing the same.

Vancaskerkin looked at the two with a grin plastered across his face. "Good, good. Now, I want to divulge to you the real reason why I brought you two up here. Before we came upstairs, I took another look at those cronies, and discovered something quite... surprising." He paused for a moment, perhaps a failed attempt at creating suspense. "I recognized those two, since I've seen them hanging around with a bunch of street toughs that have been hanging around the casino before." Nathan was still, waiting for the importance of this revelation. There are plenty of street gangs in the city, always have been, always will be.

"But. This group has been contracting out to most of the other crimelords in the city, as I've seen henchmen from a whole host of... business owners I used to know mingling with them." This gave Nathan a start, and Leo as well from the surprised expression on the cleric's face. "I've been considering throwing myself at the mercy of the crimelord I used to be close with known as," he hesitated, "Clegg Zincher for protection, but I truly am loathe to re-enter that shady world."

Nathan nodded, finally understanding the man's unease. Leo placed a hand on the table and leant forward slightly. "So, you think that those guys that are being carted away downstairs were sent here... on purpose by one of the crimelords running this city?"

Nathan glanced toward the cleric, a worried expression on his face. "If so, the implications are very serious, Vancaskerkin is a former crimelord afterall." He didn't fail to notice the older man's flinch at his words.

Vancaskerkin nodded to Nathan and Leo, a knowing gleam in his eye. "Then you two obviously understand the predicament I'm in. And quite honestly, I'm impressed with your abilities and I think you are just the folks who can turn around my fortunes. I'd like to offer you a job."

Nathan's eyes widened, and he heard a surprised sound come from Leo beside him. A... job?

"Yes, I'd like to offer both of you a job as specialists and junior partners of the Gold Goblin staff. You'd work directly for me and assist me in the day-to-day running of this establishment, serving as either a dealer, a bouncer, a croupier, or a greeter depending your preferences. Of course, these roles would only be covers for the real work you'd be doing for me, such as serving as my bodyguards, messengers, and consultants."

"How much would we be paid?" Nathan looked over at the Leo who had spoken, he seemed to be animated enough, the cleric's face showing signs of excitement.

"Oh, you'd receive a regular salary of ten gold pieces a week as well as a cut of the Gold Goblin's weekly profits... so, what do you say? Up for the challenge?"

The cleric spoke immediately. "I'm in." His face was set and determined, very different from his constant cheerful demeanor.

Nathan's eyebrows furrowed to a point, torn between agreeing with Leo or slowly backing out. On one hand, he was apprenticed to an alchemist already, and he still wasn't quite sure about Vancaskerkin. Though... the pay is high, and it would seem rude to refuse his offer after accepting those gifts. Not to mention Leo already went ahead and agreed to the deal.

His mind moved to focus on the fight that had happened only hours before. I was so terrified the entire time, but... it made me feel alive. More than I have in my entire life. Nathan took a deep breath, and steeled his downward gaze. I don't want to forget that feeling.

"I'll accept as well." Leo beamed at Nathan, working an amused smile out of the apprentice alchemist. This guy's kind of like a puppy.

Vancaskerkin leaned forward, and clasped both of them on the shoulders. "Great! I'll have to show you around the gambling hall tomorrow, so you better be well rested for the grand tour! I'll show you to your rooms."

"Our rooms? I have a room back at the potion shop with all my things." Nathan wasn't expecting boarding when he had agreed to the deal.

"Well, of course you'll have to sleep in the Gold Goblin. What if some crook sneaks in during the middle of the night?"

"Oh. I suppose I hadn't thought of that." Nathan felt stupid.

The three of stood up and moved to the door, but not before Nathan and Leo gathered their things into some sacks. Nathan was careful not to put any of his newly gained 'loot' into the bag carrying the vials of acid, instead he placed the wand and gold into a small pouch on his belt.

Vancaskerkin walked through the doorway and out into the hall first, but Nathan moved towards the opening at the same time as Leo. The two bumped into each other, and the sudden contact against the cleric's side caused a cold wave of... something coursing down his spine. A rush of adrenaline of some sort.

"Oops, sorry 'bout that. Here, you go first." Leo made a hand gesture out to the hallway.

A bit numb for some unfathomable reason, Nathan walked out into the corridor, closely followed by the cleric who then shut the door behind them. What the hell was that?

Vancaskerkin led them through a maze of hallways, and eventually stopped short in front of two doors, side by side. "These rooms will be your living quarters. Nathan, your room is on the left and Leo, your room is on the right. Get some sleep, and report back to me by midday tomorrow."

They both nodded. "Good, I'll be seeing you two in the morning." The short man padded away, turned a corner, and was gone.

"Crazy day, huh?" Nathan turned to see Leo looking at him with a smirk playing across his stubble dusted face.

"Yeah. Definitely didn't think of finding myself here when I woke up this morning."

The cleric chuckled. "Yeah, me neither. But, aren't you glad you're here now?"

Nathan frowned, he was caught off guard by Leo's question. "Well... yeah. I guess I am."

The other man broke out into a wide grin. "Great, same here. See you in the morning, Nathan." And with that, Leo headed into his room.

Slowly turning around to open his door, Nathan began to feel hints of emptiness creep over him, a certain faint loneliness after the cleric had left. He shook his head in exasperation, he hadn't even known the guy for a day and he was already getting to close to him. He'd learned his lesson about getting close to people before, Nathan wouldn't make the same mistakes again.

The apprentice alchemist opened the door and moved into the bedroom, placing the bag of vials gingerly down beside the door along with the sack full of recently gained valuables. In a quick scout of the room, he found a comfy looking bed, a small alcove near the far corner of the room used for personal hygiene, and a mahogany table with four elegant chairs situated around the circular surface. The floorboards were a polished maroon color, and the walls were a soft shade of goldenrod. Nathan's mind flashed back to when Leo's hands were glowing approximately that color, so he quickly pushed it into the back of his mind. Gods, if I didn't know any better, you'd think I'd be developing a crush on him like some schoolgirl!

But of course he wasn't. Men obviously didn't like other men in that way. He'd heard distant tales of such things, but people had usually just passed them off as rumors. Which was exactly what they were, rumors.

Running a tired hand through his hair and sighing, Nathan kicked off his boots and climbed into bed, pulling the covers over his head to immerse himself in the growing darkness creeping in from the windows. Nathan's life had changed so much in one day, and he was a bit afraid to find out whether it was for good or for worse. It took several minutes for his spinning mind to calm down, but once it did sleep took him almost immediately and he fell into a peaceful slumber.

...Leo...
© Copyright 2009 Shadow Kin (UN: shadowkin0 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shadow Kin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660227