*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/661701-Red-White-and-Tuna
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#661701 added August 1, 2009 at 12:09am
Restrictions: None
Red, White, and Tuna
      Saw Red, White, and Tuna last night. The third play in a trilogy about a small Texas town called Tuna. It's a two man play that makes you roll with laughter.   
    The first play is Greater Tuna. I say that one in another town a few years ago on a normal stage, played normally. I don't recall much except the two men played all the parts, were speed dressers, and that it was very funny.
    The second play in the set is about Christmas in Tuna. Haven't seen it.
    This third one is all about Texas attitude, racism, the Bible belt, and changing mores and customs. One guy played all the older women; he was so realistic, I had to keep reminding myself, there was a man with thinning hair under that wig. He moved and spoke like a middle age woman, or an aging woman that you felt he was like so many women you have known, only funnier.
    But this production company staged it in a smaller theater, where the stage was ground level, and the rows of seats were raised. I managed a front row seat, so occasionally, the actor was only a few feet away from us. At that range, you see the make-up, the stockings on the men, and what's underneath the silky, nylon night gown the skinny one is wearing as he prances back and forth around the edges of the stage area. You can't help but notice that what you might expect to see is not there. Let's just say things were concealed. I tried not to look after I realized that but it's like driving by a car accident You have to sneak a peak. There were so many great lines, and I can't remember any of them.
    All of the plays require that you use your imagination, and it's easy to do. The scenery is simple and adapts quickly. Most of the props are a 50's style table and some matching chairs. Sometimes the chairs are chairs, sometimes a sofa, sometimes cars, sometimes a bed. You have no trouble figuring it out. The stage hands and the dressers are essential elements of these plays. In the final act, they actually make one costume change right in front of the office, only they slow down for this one.
      If you want to laugh, go see any of the Tuna plays when you get a chance.
     

© Copyright 2009 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/661701-Red-White-and-Tuna