*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/665113-579-words---25th-august-2009
by Wybo
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #1580806
This is my daily writing book. The idea being to write at least 500 words a day. Come one!
#665113 added August 25, 2009 at 11:53am
Restrictions: None
579 words - 25th august 2009



He had to get away but if it looked like he was in a rush he would be stopped immediately. The whole countrywas infected with suspicion and paranoia. Last night Mrs. Wilson from the corner shop had been arrested and in the process of trying to stop them her son had been shit, in the street and just left there. The security patrols were more and more of a law unto themselves and that fat bloke from no 33 who seemed to have some sort of authority in the local patrol was strutting about in an increasingly authoritarian manner.





Last night as he came home from work he saw him waling toward the house and managed to get indoors before he reached him so he didn’t have to speak to him. He knocked on the door anyway.


         ‘Yes?’


         ‘Though I’d just check in.’


‘OH, OK.’


         ‘Everything all right there is it,’ he tried to look past him to the front room behind. He came forward and pulled the door to behind him.


         ‘Don’t want the cat to get out,’ he said.


         ‘Quite, quite, ‘ said the fat bloke.


         James noticed he’d grown a little ‘tache, vaguely Hitler-like.


         ‘So how’s it going then, all this patrolling?’


         ‘Its getting worse, no doubt about it.’


         ‘Really?’


         ‘Oh yes. You know your next door neighbours?’ he pointed to the left.


         ‘You mean the Patel’s?’


         ‘That’s them. Well, I can’t say too much but you wont be seeing anymore of them you know.’


         ‘What! Why on earth not? They’re a lovely family!’


         ‘Oh you think so do you? Well just so happens I caught them smuggling.’


         ‘Smuggling what exactly?’


         Can’t say James, but rest assured it was serious, very serious. Like I say you won’t see them again.’


         ‘What the hell happened to them then? Don’t tell me you’ve detained them, what about the kids.’


         ‘The kids have been taken away but there won’t be any prison, no, afraid it didn’t work out like that...’


         ‘What happened?’


         ‘Resisting arrest James, tried to attack us he did, well both of them.’


         ‘Don’t be ridiculous. They are the nicest people on the street. What have you done?’


         ‘Look keep your voice down will you. There was nothing we could do.’


         ‘You areshole, you shot them didn’t you?’


         ‘I’m afraid they gave us no choice.’


         ‘Get the fuck away from my property you scummy bastard!’


         ‘Mind your tongue James, we need everyone pulling together you know at these times. Can’t have anyone making trouble; know what I mean?’


         James closed the door hard. He went to the phone to call his parents. They were still arguing that the private security for every town was a good idea. See what they thought of this. They weren’t answering the phone though. So he phoned his sister. She was outraged too.


         ‘You have to get out of there James; sounds a lot worse there. That’s the thing about small towns I guess. Its still annoying here but mostly you don’t notice the pricks!’


         ‘Maybe that’s a bad thing, means they get away with it Jen.’


         In the end he agreed to make his way up there tomorrow slowly, so as not to attract attention. It made it easier to move around across the county borders, with a family visit. He hadn’t made one for a while anyway, so he was entitled.


She tried to question him about why it was so urgent but he didn’t elaborate on the phone.











** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **





Steve Wybourn





** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2009 Wybo (UN: wybell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wybo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/665113-579-words---25th-august-2009