*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/667996-A-family-that-paints-together
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1592786
A place for writing off-the-cuff
#667996 added September 16, 2009 at 6:07pm
Restrictions: None
A family that paints together...
A friend recently gave me a huge piece of mirror, about 3'x4' in size. Much to Christian's dismay, I announced that I'd like to adhere about four rows (four inches total) of glass mosiac tiles around the edges and hang it over the fireplace in our great room. Christian loves a project as much as I do, but our creative visions rarely match at the outset. Unfortunately, math wasn't on my side (I hate math!) because the weight of the mirror warrented a hefty frame, and tile would only worsen the problem.

We battled it out with design ideas and came to an agreement over how the mirror should hang, then set out building a frame. Christian is a master woodworker, and I assisted watched him transform planks of wood into a frame that I then painted white.

Now, we have the frame lying on a table in the house, and we are painting it in bright, funky colors. We are using symbols that have special meaning for our family (geckos, the globe, tribal markings) and drawing inspiration from aboriginal art and culture. We spend evenings with the kids, painting and laughing. Here are some shots of us *Smile*

[Also here, the kitchen shelf project I mentioned in comments below. Thanks, sunshine014 for asking to see it! *Heart*]


Kitchen Shelf ~  Here it is, Ashy!
Closer look ~  We loved the tile we put in our backsplash that we used it in the shelf, which is on the wall opposite the backsplash.  The blue tiles are glass, the rest is travertine (tumbled marble).
Sidney and Cody 9/15/09 ~  The kids wanted in on our family painting project, so they got some of the scrap wood left over from the frame Christian made and painted them.  We'll put them on the wall too, bien sur!
One of the geckos ~  We have a favorite metal artist outside Athens, GA, and we bought four different, brightly painted geckos -- one for each of us -- and hung them on the outside of the house, above the front door.  I'm painting each one on the frame.  Here's the first *Smile*
Christian ~  It turns out my hubby has a very steady hand with an artist paintbrush.  His aboriginal-inspired art is fantastic!

© Copyright 2009 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/667996-A-family-that-paints-together