*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/668856-Corner
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1600765
My writings from the 15 for 15 contest.
#668856 added September 22, 2009 at 3:16pm
Restrictions: None
Corner

I hate waiting. Every red light is another obstacle in my path. I can’t help but scope the people around me as we wait. I wonder where they are off to, who they are going to meet, what kind of life is awaiting them. I shiver when I think about my own destination, but manage to push the thought away.

I would rather be any of the three people standing beside me. The cute blonde I bet is the popular type. I bet her life is a happy one, filled with friends to confide in, and a loving family. I sigh and sneak a peek at the tall guy next to me. He’s clearly deep in thought, his focus on the people mingling across the street. Maybe he sees someone familiar, a past girlfriend or lover. The kid on the bike leans back and pops a sucker in his mouth. He too seems interested in the same people tall boy is.

I find it hard not to look over there, to see what it is that catches their interest and maintains it. Then I get it, the distraction, and eye catcher. A white puppy chasing his tale, sniffing the sidewalk, is somehow so exciting that for one brief moment, together, four strangers find a common bond.

The light changes, and we move on, forward to our destinations. Sadness rushes back in, knowing what awaits me when I return home. I hug the black sweater tighter hoping to shield myself from the terror that awaits me.


** Image ID #1591886 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2009 Purple is House Florent (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple is House Florent has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/668856-Corner