*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/669823-September-29---Pals
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1595043
Entries made during Leger's 15 for 15 Contest.
#669823 added September 30, 2009 at 8:25am
Restrictions: None
September 29 - Pals
There is a type of friendship that goes beyond borders, beyond words. I can't say that my life was ever easy or that there weren't a few hardships growing up, but having a friend like Rodney made things a little easier. I never had to explain myself to him. I never had to be something I wasn't or pretend we weren't hanging out together. He always stuck by me. He was more than a best friend - he was family.

I met Rodney when I was six years old. My days up until that point had been hidden in the shadows, escaping ridicule from those around me. It was on the bright, sunny day however that knew things would change. When we saw each other for the first time, Rodney had the biggest smile on his face. There were no sneers, no words of censure. Just the best greeting anyone could ever have.

I wasn't the only who felt that way, either. While some people didn't like having Rodney around, others would go out of their way to greet him. He lit up the room when he walked into it, spreading happiness and smiles to even strangers. And he never asked for anything in return. There wasn't a selfish bone in Rodney's body.

Things aren't the same without Rodney around. We were the best of pals for as long as I can remember. Towards the end I can remember him being weaker than usual. It was harder for him to do things or go outside like we did everyday for years. But, even until the end, Rodney smiled like the sun.

After his death, the Rodney's family decided to keep me in the house instead of giving to their nextdoor neighbors. I'm glad. I'd miss not being in the place where I met Rodney for the first time. They tell me he looking down and watching over me from a better place. I hope where ever my pal is, he's smiling.
© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/669823-September-29---Pals