*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/672507-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1609350
Book for the contest entries
#672507 added October 19, 2009 at 10:19pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Chapter 2


Monica sat propped up in the bed, staring at the treetops outside her hospital room window. One week had passed since her life saving surgery. She wanted to get back to her life, needed to be outside again before she missed the end of her favorite season. Monica tossed the covers back and swung her legs off the bed. Slowly she pushed herself up off the mattress, holding onto the IV pole for support. Once on her feet, she smiled to herself, knowing she continued to get stronger with each passing day. She pushed the mechanism forward and trailed behind it, making her way to the big window.

The spectacular view from this height caught her breath and made her eyes water. She survived another surgery by some miracle. She sat on the ledge of the sill, taking in the scenery. Her eyes roamed over the pretty fall leaves on the trees. Some were already bare, the emptiness they portrayed making her a bit sad for being cooped up and missing the dramatic change. A cluster of bright yellows grabbed Monica’s attention, swirled with pockets of emerald greens that refused to budge. The pinkish reds looked ready to fall, and the dirty browns seemed to be waiting for a gentle breeze to help them let go of the branches they clung to for the past few seasons. Monica sighed, rested her hand against the cool glass, longing to be out there and part of the beauty.

She watched as a young mother pushed a child in a wheel chair around the courtyard. The girl sported a bright pink cast that extended from her hip to her toes. The pair mesmerized her as she wondered if she would ever have that kind of unconditional love from another. Her life was spent with doctors and in hospitals and she worked hard to keep her personal life private. Friends were rare and at that very moment, she regretted that decision more than any other did.

As she continued to stare at them, a young man came out of the double doors with a bundle wrapped in his arms. The girl pointed at him, and they began to head towards him. Desperate to watch the scene unfold below, Monica pressed her face to the glass. The man’s pace picked up as he neared and then crouched low in front of the little girl. Her hand moved forward, hesitant and then jerked backward as the blanket moved. His shoulders bounced with laughter before he nodded and revealed the prize hidden beneath. A white puppy with brown ears wiggled to get loose, making the man struggle to maintain his balance. He stood, placing the dog in the girl’s arms.

WC:455
TOTAL WC:814
** Image ID #1591886 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2009 Purple Celebrates (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Celebrates has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/672507-Chapter-2