*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/677131-Saturday-November-21-2009
Rated: 13+ · Book · Environment · #1392154
A modest journal.
#677131 added November 21, 2009 at 7:33pm
Restrictions: None
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Saturday, November 21, 2009

         I awoke early, fed my sweet kitties and washed my hair.  I then took a bike ride to Starbucks, talked to my mom, read some and returned home... in time for the cable guy.  He arrived at 9am and switched out my modem.  I had forgotten to put a reminder on my cell phone, but by the grace of a loving God who cares about every little part of my life, I was where I was supposed to be at just the right moment.

         Then I sat on the porch to embrace the morning in my hand-me-down, spruced up, hunter green cane rocker --- reading scriptures, feeding my soul.  As I went inside and glanced at the clock, my mind was drawn to Yoga, starting in just one hour.  I high-tailed it to the gym for a good workout and a round of Yoga. 

         Driving home, I decided to stop by my daughter's (though I knew she was sleeping after working the night shift).  My grandson, Cody, was eager to go bike riding with me.  After our drive back to my apartment, we rode our bicycles to the pier, stopping and resting here and there along the way and at a playground...  At the pier, we parked our bikes and rode up and down the glass elevator, hitting every stop and every shop.  The grand finale was The Pier Aquarium.  Since Cody is a fast-moving five year old and goes through stores like a marathon runner, it took some coaxing to get me there.  Cody is five and gets in free; but it's $5.00 for adults ---- well worth it if you can take your time and not race through.  Cody was good and kept his speed down to a slow jog.  At The Pier Aquarium you may touch a variety of crustaceans as well as a multitude of variant starfish.  When I pointed out an eel, Cody was curious whether it was electric ---- and wouldn't stop pestering me about it until I asked.  Not electric, it was a green moray eel, large and fascinating nonetheless. 

         Cody and I bicycled home.  He set up my chess set, then the checker set --- not into either game but proud to show me he could set them up.  Amazing to me since I never knew about chess or learned chess until I was in high school.  He asked if he could have my set.  (One day, maybe, but not today...  He couldn't find his bicycle helmet before we left his house and had to use Tyler's.)  We had a short talk about putting away things after using them --- with a strong emphasis on the chess/checker set he so desperately wanted.  He promised he would take good care of it.  Then I asked about the cards I'd lent him to play with at Joey's wedding.  He had no idea where the cards were and couldn't even remember whether they actually made it to the wedding.  Finally, he was satisfied to leave with a rubber ball, he bounced and bounced, proudly catching it with one hand.

         When I took Cody home, he fell asleep in the car.  I so wanted to carry him in the house but he said, Meemaw, you don't have to carry me in.  I sure wanted to but was not sure I was strong enough.  Cody is a big boy ----- soon to be six.

© Copyright 2009 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/677131-Saturday-November-21-2009