*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/678205-Flossies-177th-Lesson
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
#678205 added November 30, 2009 at 6:44pm
Restrictions: None
Flossie's 177th Lesson
FLOSSIE'S 177th LESSON

I rode Flossie this morning before the temperature got too hot. It was probably between 70 and 75 degrees at that point, which is a good thing because it went up to 90 degrees today.

Flossie didn’t want to pass the huge earth machines that were busily chugging, digging, and clanging away in their usual spot right next to the track. I asked her to move forward in spite of all the commotion, but she only went so far before she decided it was too scary to go any further. I dismounted and walked her past on foot, turned her around, walked past again in the opposite direction, then mounted and carried on as if nothing had happened. She never gave me a problem again after that, not even when I had her trotting and cantering. The guys who operate the machines are very accommodating, too. When they see I’m having difficulties with Flossie, they turn off their motors and wait. They don’t have to do that, but it’s a friendly gesture on their part and I always thank them for their kindness.

It was so nice not having any mud to contend with. The ground wasn’t dusty, either, which was another plus. After working her on the track in both directions at every gait, I took Flossie to the corner of the paddock and had her working circles for me. Even though the machines were right beside us, Flossie didn’t bat an eye. She went very well and before you know it, it was time to call it a day.

I had her stand in the shade until she was dry before I took her down the driveway. I didn’t work her so hard and so long that she got out of breath because it was just too hot for that. After she had her carrots and her walk around the track and her final grooming for the week, I put her halter on her with a set of reins that have clips on the ends, which I had brought over from America with me, and climbed on her bareback so she could graze with me on her back. I wanted to take her down the ‘shed row’ between the stalls where Billy’s horses live, but she wouldn’t go while I was on her back for some reason. I always ride her down that aisle, so it wasn’t something new. I guess minus a saddle and a bit in her mouth, it was different enough to her.

As it turned out, I’m glad I had gotten off, after all, because it would have been a very unpleasant experience. First of all, she got zapped by the electric fence Billy has strung up around his horses. She just simply got too close and touched it with her ear. She jumped sideways as quickly as she could. After that, any little thing was scary. She spooked and went down on her knees at one point and I’m not even sure what scared her that time. Although I know I would have been okay if I had been on her, I’m glad that I wasn’t.

Then, to top it off, Gina, Billy’s mare, must have thought grazing was a brilliant idea because she unlatched her door and decided to join us. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I looked over Flossie’s tail and saw her there! I quickly put Flossie back into the big paddock where she lives and went back to see if I could get Gina back into her stall. First of all, I tied two lead ropes together and strung them across the ‘shed row’ so she couldn’t get out of the ‘shed row’ and into Des’ front yard. That was my immediate concern. Then I grabbed three handfuls of the feed Billy gives his horses every day,
put it in a bucket the mare is familiar with, and offered it to her. Luckily she was inquisitive enough to let me grab her halter. I led her back into her stall, dumped the feed onto the ground so she could feast on it while I slipped out and latched the door up.

I was going to tell Des Gina had been loose, but just then Norm pulled in and I had to leave. He was in a hurry since he works on Mondays now and didn’t have time to wait around. I didn’t even have time to change my clothes as I normally do before I go home. So I phoned Des when I got home. He said he had thought he had seen Gina loose while I was there. It’s hard for him to see into the ‘shed row’ from his house, though, so I can see how it would have been difficult for him to be sure. He said he’ll make it a point to tell Billy when he comes down to feed his horses this afternoon. This is the second time that I know of that Gina has been out of her stall unaided.






© Copyright 2009 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/678205-Flossies-177th-Lesson