*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/680624-Downtime--Email-Status
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing.Com · #206127
Announcements pertaining to Writing.Com!
#680624 added December 21, 2009 at 3:26pm
Restrictions: None
Downtime / Email Status
Just a quick note to apologize for the approximately 1 hour 30 minutes of outage for the whole site. To resolve the initial email issue, our host rebooted the email server (which didn't need to be done), which resulted in a long system check on reboot.

The reboot process is complete and the email server is recovering from the outage and delivering a lot of email; we will open access back up to email via the site once the machine has caught up a little more and the load on the server subsides.

Our email server also houses our primary DNS server, which is what takes www.writing.com and tells your computer where to go to get to the site. At the same time, our 2ndary DNS server which serves as a backup to the primary DNS server, failed to perform it's task of resolving domains to host IPs. (Sorry for the tech speak.)

The lack of DNS servers caused "www.writing.com" to not go anywhere while the server was under reboot. Our host is working to resolve the 2ndary dns issue so that it works as it should if/when it is needed again.


[UPDATE: We've opened up access to email again. We will, however, be waiting to turn back on the "left-column email checker" until the server is further along with catch up.]


Thanks for your patience and sorry again for the downtime!
~~SM

© Copyright 2009 Writing.Com Support (UN: support at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com Support has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/680624-Downtime--Email-Status