*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/681588
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1390542
Action / Adventure Newsletters, and others, when i'm the guest editor.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#681588 added December 30, 2009 at 1:55pm
Restrictions: None
Behind the Scenes 12-29-09
"Almost every scene, I re-think as I'm about to start drawing it, and at least half of the time I'm changing dialogue or whatever, or adding scenes or different things." Chester Brown

Behind the Scenes

You’ve nailed down your plot, characters; you’ve even cranked out a draft or two. Now it’s time to roll up your sleeves and do some serious editing, rewriting, and possible major reconstruction. While you’re prodding through your rewrites, don’t forget to examine your individual scenes.

Scenes, like your entire novel, have a natural flow to them. Even when you’re using flashbacks, rewinds, or narrative thought, a logical sense of transition must prevail in order to engage and maintain reader interest. When reworking your novel scene, remember the following elements:

Arrangement – each scene contains an opening(hook), middle, end. However, instead of resolutions, scene endings should contain predicaments. A character’s perceived impasse strikes interest in the minds of readers as they wonder, “How will Josh tell his best friend he gambled away their vacation money the night before they were to set off on the Road Trip of Their Lives?

Characters - Which characters belong in the scene? Should any of the characters not be present? Just for fun, if time allows, try writing the same basic scene but switch out your characters. How does this change dialogue? Outcome?

Action - What are your characters doing? How are they doing it?

Tone – Make sure scenes adhere to the overall tone of your story; moreover, the tone of each scene is consistent. For instance, your character isn’t likely to recite poetry during a battle scene. However, If he does, then it should be within his “character” to do so. *Smile*

Here is an excerpt from a work-in-progress of mine:

Dressed in dark clothing, the three moved quickly, weaving through the labyrinth of the unlit third floor office building.

"You DO have the flash drive...don't you?" the words hissed over Stephanie's shoulder. She could feel her heart thump hard and fast against her chest. Clandestine illegal break-ins weren't part of her normal everyday activity.

"Of course I do." Kerry's murmured response held that what the heck do you think I am, an idiot? tone. The trio had sixty minutes to check three, maybe four, computers located on two different floors --before they could sneak back downstairs, walk a block to where the car was parked, and head for home.

"Here we go," Steph said pulling off into a cubical. All three collapsed into chairs. Kerry's finger poked the power button to boot up Brad's computer. Nervous shallow breathing replaced speech. Every eye glued itself on Kerry, the computer hacker.

Steph heard the hum, before they saw...the overhead lights pop on, illuminating the entire floor. Her flesh crawled with fear. Everyone froze. Stephanie's mother cursed softly.

"Hide!" Kerry whispered. The women dove underneath nearby desks and pulled office chairs in front of them. Kerry remained seated, the pads of his fingers tapping on Brad's keyboard.

Scrunched beneath her hiding spot, Stephanie had a perfect view of Kerry's leg. She saw his hand fling an object in her direction.

The flash drive! She cupped her mouth to stifle a gasp and watched the drive skid across the floor. It ricocheted against the leg of the desk in front of her with a "clunk". Then, it changed directions. Now it headed toward her, spinning like a merry-go-round, before stopping its forward movement...inches out of her reach. Helpless, her eyes transfixed on the spinning drive, she heard a voice.

"What's going on here, Mister?" the security guard asked, voice filled with stern authority.


In the end, all scenes strung together make up your awesome novel. In other words, each scene should progress and evolve the plot of your story. If your scenes are constructed propperly, your readers will be compelled to keep reading.


Until next time,


Robin

a heart signature



© Copyright 2009 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/681588