*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/683671-Flossies-184th-Lesson
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
#683671 added January 13, 2010 at 5:51pm
Restrictions: None
Flossie's 184th Lesson
FLOSSIE'S 184th LESSON

I started Flossie out in the middle of the paddock with the idea of having her weave in and out of the cones I had set up when I first arrived. She walked up to them, but she refused to work, so I let her decide what to do. She started walking around in the paddock, so I took her to the ‘arena’ and asked her to trot around the perimeter. I could tell through her body language exactly what was bothering her by the way she acted while going in certain directions and working in particular areas of the arena. I had her doing circles, figure eights, and half schools before I took her to the track. I knew she was going to be reluctant to work in the spot nearest the railroad track just by the way she had clued me in while working in the ‘arena’, so I was ready for her. I had her going around the track in both directions at every gait without any problems at all.

We cooled out in the shade, then I took her to the cones and I asked her to weave from both ends which she did to my satisfaction. I had to end the lesson earlier than usual because Norm was coming an hour ahead of time. Because of his Tuesday schedule, I’m just not able to have the full four hours I usually have when I’m at Des’.

The putty stayed nice and tight in the groove on Flossie’s right front hoof, which is the one that needed it the most. The other had come out, so I stuffed another wad into it. I could see her hooves didn’t need any dressing today, but I’m going to carry the stuff with me from now on, regardless.

When I was in the paddock, setting up the cones, Zippy decided I must have been a bogey man because he suddenly bolted. He stirred up Flossie, Bambi, and Glenco Girl, so they all raced around the bend in the track from the road up to where Gary has his geldings stabled, then promptly stopped and looked at me. Silly horses.

The track was in great shape. I truly had a wonderful time. The machines weren’t running near the road, so it was as quiet as it used to be. I’m getting spoiled with those machines gone. Before long, though, I know they’ll be back with a vengeance. I am not looking forward to that.

© Copyright 2010 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/683671-Flossies-184th-Lesson