*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/683708-Trying-to-overcome-personal-blocks
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1634630
Brief writing exercises and thoughts on writing. Maybe the occasional personal musing.
#683708 added January 13, 2010 at 11:24pm
Restrictions: None
Trying to overcome personal blocks.
I have to say that I'm really enjoying WDC. I'm trying to take advantage of the fact that there's a great community here where I can get some feedback on my writing. It's helping to keep me more motivated, as motivation has always been a huge issue for me when it comes to writing.

I can usually come up with some good ideas, and even get out a couple chapters or a half dozen pages. But trying to keep things going is a bit difficult. So one of the things I'm doing here is trying to use WDC as a way to discipline myself to write at least every other day. (Writing every day would be nice, but I think it would be too much of a stretch for me right now.)

One of the big things I struggle with is the "internal editor." I don't just write for the sake of writing, or I feel I have to convince myself that an idea is "good enough" before I even start writing it down. So I'm trying to get myself more into a mindset where if I think of it, I write it. Who cares if I decide it's not good after the fact. At least I wrote it. And let's face it, you have to go through some drudge to get to the good stuff.

To that end, I wrote a new short piece, "A Mother-Son-Talk"   [18+] by JarredH . It's actually part of the same story space of my novel in progress, "When Love Changes Everything"   [13+] by JarredH that I came up with late last night with showering. As I thought about it, I decided it didn't really belong in the novel for various reasons. But today, I realized that I shouldn't let that fact keep me from writing it at all. So I wrote it as a separate piece. It got the creative juices flowing, and possibly gave me a few ideas for things that will go into the story.

Of course, the other thing I'm struggling with is the fact that the novel ideas are coming out of order. I think I need to give up on the idea of writing the silly thing from start to finish, and write teh various parts that come to me as they come to me. I'm not sure if that means I should save them privately and only add them to the site when I get the stuff done that comes before it. Maybe I should just post it all as it comes to me and make notes when I skip parts. Maybe even I could put disclaimer in: "Extra stuff happens between this cahpter and the previous ones. i just haven't written them yet."

© Copyright 2010 JarredH (UN: seithman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JarredH has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/683708-Trying-to-overcome-personal-blocks