*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/684623
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1638346
Kari finds herself surrounded by magic possibly connected to her forgotten past.
#684623 added January 21, 2010 at 10:19pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two
Little time passed before the high school started up again and Daniel woke me up one Monday morning, all bright and cheery.  I rolled out of bed, trying to avoid the silence that was gently lulling me to sleep. The carpet was warm and soft under my feet as I walked to the closet. Then after opening the chestnut doors, I grabbed the first outfit I could throw together and then turned to the mirror beside the window at the scary mess now standing in the room.


         Oh well. That’s what combs and toothbrushes were for.


         Daniel yelled from downstairs so I left the room, grabbing my black converses, coat and backpack before running down stairs. The sweet aroma of strawberry on toast reached my nose at the bottom of the stairs and I reached the open doorway of the kitchen to see Daniel spreading strawberry preservatives over French toast.


         Moments like breakfast made living with him worth it.


         He turned to me with a plate prepared – topped with whipped cream and maple syrup. “Breakfast is served.”


         “I will never know how I don’t weigh three hundred pounds because of your cooking.”


         I took the plate and thanked him before scarfing down his delightful cooking and a glass of milk. I figured the morning was off to a great start as I put on my converses. Daniel threw on a coat and grabbed the car keys off the small table that I sat at, carrying a box of leftovers he would eat at the café. My French toast vanished in due time and I grabbed my backpack, hurrying after Daniel as he reached the kitchen door. He glanced back at me and froze, giving me just enough time to stop before crashing into his back.


         A smile stretched across his face. “Do we really need to let everyone know you’re impervious to freezing temperatures?”


         My cheeks heated and I quickly dashed back to get my coat and ran after him to the car. A loud click told me the car was unlocked and my hand tingled with a faint burning sensation as I grabbed the metal door handle. Daniel flinched on the other side and a shiver went up his spine. Watching him, I tried to empathize, only to realize that it wasn’t possible. We didn’t share the same susceptibilities and I couldn’t begin to understand how the cold felt. I felt strange envying him for his ability to freeze or catch hypothermia. Most people would be envying me. Was it crazy – wanting to feel more human?


         Chuckling, I climbed into the car and we left for Galeworth. The sky was a shadowy grey and a slight dew held in the air making the air shimmer as the headlights of the car shined ahead. A few cars passed by as we drove into town and small businesses and the K-Mart flashed past. Soon two long buildings both single-leveled and a musty brown color appeared. A parking lot rested at the side of the building closest to the road and at the entrance was a board reading “Welcome to Galeworth High School” – a seemingly warm welcome as we pulled into the parking lot. Most of the spots were taken, probably from a combination of staff and students, but we managed to find one near the road.


         A loud bell rang just as the car stopped and I could see Daniel frown. “I’ll have to wake you up earlier tomorrow.”


         “That’s fine,” I said, getting out of the Mercedes, my backpack clinging to my shoulders.


         We walked into the doors at the center of the building, through double doors. Straight ahead was a second set, across a hallway, but to the left was a room with window panels for walls and a black sign that read “office.” Daniel led the way as we went through the door into the room. There was a long counter and a woman at her desk on the other side typing away at a computer. She looked up at us over thick glasses resting over her long, pointed nose. “All visitors must sign-in on the left clipboard,” she said obnoxiously before looking back at her computer.


         Daniel ignored her rudeness. “Yes, ma’am, but my daughter just transferred in and I’m just here to make sure everything was settled properly since it’s her first day.”


         The secretary stopped typing and this time gave us more than a passing glance. “I’ll be right back with the school counselor.”


         She scurried out of the room and we waited for a few minutes before she finally returned with another woman, older and who’s demeanor was more comfortable to be around. “Hello, and welcome to our school. You must be Kari Rome and Mr. Daniel Rome.” She held out a hand over the counter and Daniel gingerly shook it.


         They stayed that way until the counselor dropped it and motioned towards a small hall on the other side of the counter. “Please, step into my office so we can make sure her schedule is set.”


         The next office we went to was large enough just for a computer desk and chair with two seats sitting in front of her desk. We took a seat, the counselor before her computer, and made ourselves comfortable as she brought up my file.


         “Okay, it looks like everything got through and we have your old transcripts and previous school portfolio. Here we have your new schedule…” a frown spread across her thin lips. “There seems to be a mix up.”


         We waited for her to say more but when she merely squinted her eyes Daniel asked, “What’s wrong, did something not get through properly?”


         “Well, it seems the system has developed a mind of its own and enrolled Kari into several Advanced Placement courses.”


         “If they’re Physics, Language, and Art History then it’s correct,” I said, wondering why she was making a big deal – it was only a schedule.


         Tiny slits widened into almonds as she looked at me and slid her chair around to properly face me. “This is a heavy course load and I understand if you wish to change to a lower class, perhaps honors. Moving to a new place is not an easy transition especially since classes here may not be the same as in your old school.”


         “That’s the schedule I really want,” I said, motioning to the computer and definitely not understanding the reason behind her questions.


         The counselor sighed and I caught her eyes flash to Daniel and quickly back to the computer screen. “I see.”


         She gave me a very long, very thoughtful look before clicking the enter key. My schedule was printed and the counselor gave me a small map with my classrooms highlighted. Daniel shook her hand again before escorting me into the hall to locate my Math Analysis class. The room was halfway down the left hall and Daniel peaked into the window, just below a sign that read Mr. Grindle. Then he turned to me with a concerned look. “You ready?”


         “It’s a math class, Daniel, not a battle for the world’s existence,” I said, smiling at his concern.


         He nodded with a smile, patting my shoulder. “Good luck, and I’ll see you after school.”


         “Bye,” I said, watching him walk back to the main entrance.


         Then I took a breath and walked into the classroom. Everyone looked at me when the door shut and Mr. Grindle turned from the front board where he had been explaining the answer to a problem. The cap clicked on his pen as he fully faced me, the class looking at me with entranced stares.


         “Can I help you?” he asked.


         I gathered my courage and began walking forward, ignoring the other students. “Um, yes. My name is Kari Rome. I just transferred in and I’m in your class,” I explained, holding out my schedule for him to see. My introduction felt lame for some strange reason. It lacked confidence. Okay, maybe that wasn’t such a strange reason.


         Instead of looking at the paper he popped the cap off his marker and turned back to the white board. “Sign a book out off the desk in the back and take a seat.”


         A few students snickered behind me, but I merely folded the schedule and walked to the desk in the back. I grabbed a book and wrote the number on a clipboard waiting for me, and turned back to the student’s desks.


         Suddenly, I noticed a boy tapping on the empty desk beside him. I slid my backpack off my shoulder and gave him a smile as I took a seat. He ran his hand through dirty blonde hair and began to turn the pages of my textbook as I slipped out of my coat. He patted the right page when he reached it and offered me a warm smile with sparkling blue eyes. “I’m Noah Wakinsky.”


         “Kari Rome, new in the great state of New Hampshire,” I replied with an equally warm smile.


         He seemed nice, and possibly funny, but then again, I had only known him for a few seconds. Still, it would be quite an accomplishment to tell Daniel I made a friend on my first day.


         Then the brown haired girl sitting in front of me turned around. “You said your name was Kari Rome?” I nodded in answer. “Hey, so, aren’t you the witness from the sighting at the bar?”


         Heads all around me turned to stare and I suddenly got one of those feelings when people make a mistake on stage before an audience – embarrassment, I believe. I sunk in my chair, as the room became full of whispers, none meant for me to overhear despite being so obviously around me.


         “Did he give you one of those blood-lust looks?” asked a voice beside me.


         I looked to see an attractive blond with long thick hair and side bangs hiding one of her eyes. There was a genuine look of interest on her face, so I obliged her question with an answer. “You’re completely correct, but how do you know so well?”


         Noah grunted. “Trust me, there are plenty of people who’ve seen bloodsuckers, but few have been handled by one and lived to tell the tale.”


         All I could do was stare at him blankly, Mr. Grindle’s voice somewhere in the background. There wasn’t much discussion after that mostly because they realized I didn’t have much to tell. I roamed from class to class getting a similar response when introduced to my other teachers. Fourth period was my first class in the second building – AP Language with Mr. Klaus, and it took a while to explain that my previous school had allowed me to join a junior level course. He was still skeptical and avoided asking me questions about the materials.


         The blond girl from first period was in the class, and when the lunch bell rang she was the first person to offer a seat at her lunch table. She seemed nice enough so I followed her to a table in the courtyard between the school’s two buildings, and I must admit I was relieved to see Noah at the table. He waved at us and I waved back, stopping only when we had reached the table.


         “Hello again,” he said as the girl and I sat across from him.


         “Stop flirting – you’ll only embarrass yourself,” she commented, rolling her eyes before turning to me. “My name’s Sella, by the way, I figure you should know it since you’re sitting with us.”


         Noah pulled out a bottle of water from his bag and placed it on the table. “So what’s for lunch, Sella?”


         “You can’t count on me to always bring lunch for two.”


         Noah raised an eyebrow and Sella sighed before launching a bagged sandwich at his chest. The bag rolled neatly into his hand and he smiled at her gratefully. I rummaged through my bag and found a container I had seen Daniel stuff in my bag while I was eating breakfast. Monday had been declared Japanese day and inside the container was soba, onigiri, and pork cutlet, still warm thanks to Daniel’s heating abilities. I picked up the fork from a neatly rolled napkin taped to the side just as Sella looked over to see what was inside.


         “Did you make that yourself?” she asked in awe.


         I wrapped several noodles around the fork. “No, my…father made it. He’s a chef who just opened a café beside K-Mart.”


         Noah swallowed a bite of sandwich. “Well, I was about to say we have a talented new junior.”


         “Sophomore.”


         Sella began coughing and turned to me when the coughing stopped. “You’re a sophomore in junior level classes?”


         I shrugged my shoulders. “It’s not that big of a deal, unless you’re too cool for me.”


         “No, no, I didn’t mean it like that, it’s just, you’re apparently worlds smarter than I thought you were,” Sella recovered quickly.


         The silence that followed was unnerving and I got the feeling I had offended them somehow. My mind wandered, however, to the tables around us. Only one table was full of students I suspected were freshman, but only one other table had people who looked Sella and Noah’s age. There were three people at the table – two boys and one girl. One boy looked younger than the others, at least from the glimpses I caught of his face when he looked sideways at the other boy. Mostly I just noticed how slim he was and his sandy colored hair. The other had a dark demeanor with spiked black hair. However, it was the girl’s dark countenance that attracted attention to the table. Black hair fell around her shoulders in thick ocean-like waves, and her bangs hung to her eyes, brushed across her forehead. Her skin was paler than mine and she seemed almost delicate in a dark emerald, suede coat that hung over a thick, ruffled black skirt.


         Brown, thin eyes surrounded by dark eyelashes and a thin layer of eyeliner looked directly into my eyes. There was a spark of familiarity and I was surprised at myself when my eyes lowered, especially when I found myself unable to look up at her again. Instead I turned to Sella, captivated by the table. “Who are the people sitting at the table under the tree?”


         Noah glanced over his shoulder and answered before Sella could open her mouth. “They’re juniors like us, except for the blond. Pretty much outsiders, too, also like us.”


         “What are their names?”


         Sella stepped on Noah’s foot under the table to secure her chance to answer. “The chick is Billie Verdoux, bushy hair is Aiden Mitchell, and the sophomore is Mitt Connor. They typically eat indoors though, but not when Alex is gone.”


         “Alex?”


         Noah claimed this answer as his once again before Sella could react.  “He’s a sophomore who’s known for unexplainable absences, except for his false excuses thanks to Mitt’s older brother Steven.”


         Things immediately clicked and I realized why they seemed so familiar – because of Steven. I glanced at the blonde haired one again with a smile. At least I could tell Daniel about seeing Steven’s younger brother.


         I stayed silent for the rest of lunch, and I think Sella and Noah were even relieved when the bell rang. My last two classes were AP Art History and AP Physics, but the day finished fairly quickly. Billie and Aiden were both in my Physics course, however, and all period was spent with Billie’s eyes at my back. I didn’t look back though, for some reason. There was something unnerving about her and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.


         School ended and Daniel was waiting in the parking lot, just like he said he would be. I dumped my bag and new books in the back seat before hopping up front. Then we took off for the café, trying to avoid the departure crowd.


         “So? How was it?” asked Daniel as we turned onto the main road.


         I shrugged. “Typical school, but I did make two friends.”


         “Really?” he asked, with a very annoying tone of disbelief.


         “I am quite capable of making friends, and their names are Noah and Sella,” I stated, letting my pride almost make me sound bitter.


         Daniel however tightened his hands on the wheel – not the reaction I was expecting. He caught me watching and the frown melted. “Were you completely ignoring Steven’s and my conversation a few weeks ago?”


         “Yes.”


         There was a brief pause before he began explaining what I had missed that was so important. “Sella’s older sister, Chloe, went missing a few years ago. She helped with Steven’s group, super strength or something, and the group was pretty hurt when she vanished. Steven’s been keeping tabs on the family since, especially Sella, in case she develops her sister’s abilities.”


         My eyes watched the road ahead, suddenly numbed. “That’s so tragic.”


         “But I hear your new friend, Noah, is a famed guitarist in a rock band here, a pretty good vocalist, too,” added Daniel, trying to lighten the mood.


         All I could do was watch the white lines in the center of the road until we reached the café. The lights were on inside, but Daniel took out his keys and unlocked the door, and it was a miracle how the little bell that jingled when we went inside warmed my heart. The clear counter was filled with desserts and muffins, some obviously removed, which I took as a sign of customers. The shop was open for only a week so very few people came yet.


         I grabbed a waist apron off a hook in the kitchen and threw it on – my uniform for waitressing, with a figure of a mouse embroidered in the lower corner since we had decided to call the shop Moose Crossing, because of Daniel’s specialty cocoa and cake.


         I grabbed a stool and took a seat behind the cash register as Daniel threw on his own apron and chef’s cap and took a seat beside me. “So…anything else happen?”


         I thought for a moment before responding. “Well, I think I saw Steven’s group at lunch.”


         “Oh, really?”


         “Would you stop that?” Still, I couldn’t help smiling. “Mitt was sitting near my table with Aiden and Billie.”


         Daniel frowned. “Strange – I thought Steven said there were four now.”


         “Alex,” I said, remembering what Noah had said. “Apparently he’s known for vanishing for various lengths of time.”


         “Mysterious indeed – he’s probably just tracking for Steven,” explained Daniel.


         “Probably.”


         “Oh! Goody, a customer!”


         I looked at the door just as the little bell rang from the front and I could feel the color seep from my cheeks. Long flowing black hair trailed behind a familiar emerald coat that entered the shop. Daniel’s giddy smile must have looked ridiculous next to my pure shock as she walked up to the counter.


         “Don’t you look ravishing, can we help you?” asked Daniel, and my color returned as I looked at him with disgust. Was this how he had been treating the customers all day?


         Billie looked at the desserts in the glass without even so much as a glance in my direction. “Hm, do you make cinnamon rolls?”


         “I can have one done in twelve minutes.”


         “Perfect, I’ll take one to go with a small mousse cocoa.”


         I rang up the price as Daniel went back to the ovens to cook and I took Billie’s money. Once he was distracted she leaned toward the register and whispered, “Can I have a minute?”


         I contemplated it for a moment until I decided that I would be safe with Daniel around so I took her to the front of the shop. When we reached the front counter she turned to the window. “Look, I heard about what happened to you, and…perhaps I should introduce –


         I interrupted to save time since she seemed almost as uncomfortable as me. “You’re Billie, and I’m Kari, and I already know you work with Steven.”


         A smile spread across her face and she glanced back at Daniel. “They really are friends. But anyway, we would appreciate you not giving away too many details about what happened to you. Our job’s hard enough as it is without the townspeople knowing exactly what it is we do.”


         I suddenly had more respect for her – she had come to me not just for herself, but to also protect her friends. I knew what it was to want to protect my family, especially our secrets, because so much depended on their preservation. “There’s nothing to tell, so I won’t.”


         Billie nodded and sighed with relief. “Thank you so much, I feel like we’re friends already.”


         I laughed. “Daniel will be pleased, and shocked. He could barely believe I had made two friends today, what’s he going to say about a third?”


         We walked back to the kitchen since Billie was no longer worried about him overhearing. Still, I couldn’t help but notice the strange look she kept giving me.


         “What?” I asked once I was behind the register.


         Her smile flipped to a frown. “Something’s been bothering me. How could you see that vampire when he was moving so fast?”


         I still didn’t’ have an answer to that question, even though I had been pondering it for a while now. “Honestly, I have no idea.”


         We stood in silence, neither one saying anything until Daniel came forward with one boxed giant cinnamon roll and a cup of cocoa. Billie thanked us for both the food and our time. I called after her that it was great to have met her, and she smiled as she left the door.


         Over all, the day had gone pretty well, especially now that I had gained another friend. Daniel patted my back as we watched Billie disappear out of view. “Who was that?”


         “Billie – my new friend.”


         Daniel nudged my shoulder as he folded his arms. “How much did you pay her to agree to that?”


         I hit his shoulder back, wearing a false expression of hurt. “Not all of us are like you.”


         The shop filled with our light laughter as Daniel said between laughs, “Well said, Kari, well said.”


© Copyright 2010 Dory Bennett (UN: dory_g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dory Bennett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/684623