*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685674-Off-the-Moon
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#685674 added January 28, 2010 at 7:10pm
Restrictions: None
Off the Moon
A few months ago, my mom mentioned a conversation we had when I was still a teenager.

I was reading a lot of those romance novels, and my mom told me I shouldn’t “read that trash.”

Apparently I looked up at her and said, “At least I’m reading.”

That shut her up. One of the few times in my life (hee, hee).

Reading has always been one of my great joys. My favorite books growing up varied from “Charlotte’s Web” to “A Wrinkle in Time.”

The romance novel stage lasted no longer than three months when I finally decided they were all the same. I also tired of the graphic depiction of every sex scene. Blech. From there, I graduated to authors such as Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robert McCammon, Graham Masterson, Anne McCaffrey, Robert Silverman and Larry Niven.

The best part about sticking to several authors is seeing how they grow in their writing and storytelling, and how they fall.

By studying these authors, I learned – however subconsciously at first – how to weave a good plot with interesting characters, and tell it well.

My most recent find is LK Hunsaker (Voxxylady ).

Admittedly I purchased her first novel, “Finishing Touches” out of mere economics. I think it’s important to support authors, especially indies who absorb all the publication costs themselves.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed “Finishing Touches” and went on to purchase the first two installments of her “Rehersal” series.

LK writes literary romance, not a genre on my gotta-read-no-matter-what list. In fact it’s near the bottom. I’m more the sci-fi, fantasy, give-me-great-action-with-lots-of-death-and-mayhem reader.

So how could I have the patience to not only read her books, but enjoy them? As she describes what her books are not on her website: ~Not all Romance is graphic/~ Not all Literary fiction is stuffy. I heartily agree.

Even though there’s little by way of blood and guts, her books are quite active with plenty of conflict. It’s mostly either an internal struggle or relational struggle.

LK knows how to create complex characters and writes them so well, you not only can relate to them, but fall in love with them.

“Off the Moon,” is her latest novel. As it’s described on the back cover: “Riveting” Ryan Reynauld is immersed in a world of music, parties, and temporary companionship. Having risen to the top of the pop charts, his biggest concern is objecting to the way his music is produced. That is, until he finds a young woman standing on a window ledge. Against the advice of family and friends, and through media attacks and fan protests, Ryan determines to care for her himself, making a promise that threatens to destroy his career.

“Convincing the skittish girl she can learn to trust again comes with a steep price. Sometimes the path to recovery begins by allowing your world to implode.”

This book shows how much LK has grown into her craft. Her characters, especially Ryan and the girl, Kaitlyn, are as I expect from LK; deep, believable and ones the reader can both root for or want to slap upside the head at times.

As far as the writing itself, it’s concise and flows extremely well. One of her best efforts yet. I read it in less than a week, sacrificing many hours of sleep to finish it.

“Off the Moon” begins with a punch: Ryan tries to talk Kaitlyn out of jumping off the ledge of a building. Deathly afraid of heights, but equally desperate that she doesn’t jump, he manages to swallow his fear and get on the ledge with her.

As I read, I wondered how the title tied in to the story, and about half-way through, LK revealed its importance. She also adroitly (one of my favorite words), tied this story in with her “Rehearsal” series. That surprised me some, but I was also very pleased. It was a mere touch of what’s to come with no details, only the mention of a serious conflict.

Way to go, LK! Now I really can’t wait until the next ones come out.

“Off the Moon,” is not only a love story, but shows how the unwavering love and dedication of one person can heal lifetime’s worth of horrifying wounds of abuse – no matter what the cost.

You can find out more about LK and her books (including purchasing options) at http://www.lkhunsaker.com

© Copyright 2010 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/685674-Off-the-Moon