*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687428-San-Francisco-Writers-Conference
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1436307
This blog keeps me in touch with WDC. Jamesdillingham.com keeps me in touch elsewhere.
#687428 added February 13, 2010 at 11:11pm
Restrictions: None
San Francisco Writers Conference
First of all, I didn't win the writing conference. In spite of all the great help I got from WDC, there was at least one person there that wrote a better story than me. I was one of the finalists and we all got to stand up and be introduced so there was that.

There are hundreds of people at the conference and I have met dozens of them. Surprisingly, they are nearly all like me - beginners looking for direction on what to do next. We all have books and now we are looking for agents, editors and advice on how to make out work better.

I have learned how to pitch my book which is what I will actually do to several agents during a session tomorrow morning. I have attended seminars on how to edit, how to work with an agent, how to write outside of traditional boundaries. There have been several great speakers, book signings and such. It is a 3-day conference for about $650 and worth every penny.

It is nice that I only live 30 minutes away. I had lunch next to a writer that came all the way from Australia.

Tonight, there were about 30 editors and people gathered around them at different tables to practice their pitch. It was surreal. You had 1 minute to pitch and the editor would tell you what the chances were for your book. I am sitting there with twenty people leaning in trying to catch every word. Then we would swap. I heard all kinds of stories.

Tomorrow when I pitch to agents, the goal if for them to say "send me your book, I like your idea and would consider being your agent.

I have been a great ambassador for WDC. I am surprised that I have yet to find a person that has heard of us. I like to think I have changed that a bit.

Time for bed.

© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (UN: hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Hyperiongate has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687428-San-Francisco-Writers-Conference