*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688499-733-words-24th-feb-2010
by Wybo
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #1580806
This is my daily writing book. The idea being to write at least 500 words a day. Come one!
#688499 added February 24, 2010 at 6:45am
Restrictions: None
733 words 24th feb 2010



She knew that it would feel weird going back but she felt, now that she’d agreed to it, thanks to the joys of facebook and wine, that she couldn’t really back out. SO having waited around outside the building for at least half an hour watching people coming and going, more going in the last few minutes as it got closer to five, she decided to go for it.





At the reception George was still there and he recognised her. He seemed much friendlier than she remembered and cam round from behind his desk to greet her smiling. He embraced her and kissed her on the cheek with his rough old whiskery face before she had a chance to avoid or evade.





Marina! You are looking beautiful as ever, come come, they are waiting for you. He led her to the lift and rode up with her to the 15th floor not saying anything but occasionally glancing at her and smiling. As the doors opened the office was in darkness and she wondered if she’d come to the right floor. She looked at George and he gestured for her to exit, nodding is head.


She walked slowly out of the lift and as she did the lights came on and a shout went up from a group of around 20 people waiting there for her.


Surprise


She tried to hide the look of shock and disguise her jump in the air of terror by waving at them as if excited.





It didn’t help that as she cam back down from her frightened leap she stumbled on her heels and her right heel snapped off. Caroline came running over apologising for frightening her


We just wanted to surprise you, she said, let me have those shoes I’ll get George to whizz them down to the man at the station, he’ll have them fixed before you go. She took them and left in the lift, leaving her standing there facing the group.





Hi, she said walking towards the. They smiled weakly as she realised, that  most of them were either unrecognisable to her or only vaguely, like the sort of people you say hi to when you walk past m the corridor but have never said anything else to.





Just then Harold, her old manager stepped forward from the back of the crowd.





Aah marina, always making and entrance, at least you were on time today, bit of a rarity there aye?





She laughed weakly shaking his proffered hand.


So, we hear great things about you. University lecturer now of all things. Wonderful wonderful





Thank you, but what’s the er the party for





Well we wanted to celebrate your success – its good for us to you know, did you see this in the local paper


He showed her the headline which she’d already seen showing her collecting her degree and mentioning in tiny letters that she’d worked for the firm before university.





Wonderful you know, does wonders for our image. I should say. SO let me introduce you to a few of the new people. This is Maggie, a short long gray haired woman stepped forward and almost bowed before shaking her hand. She’s ding your job, obviously not as well as you did





Well I’m sure..





No, no need to be modest is there Maggie?





NO, not at all. I couldn’t expect to be as good as you..


To be honest I don’t think I was that into it when I was here Maggie, in fact if I remember rightly  Harold, you told me so...


Nonsense nonsense, that was just a blip. You were exemplary my dear absolutely exemplary.





Can I introduce you to the man from the local paper, Mr. Harris, we wondered if you’d mind having a few photos with your old colleagues. Would that be ok?





Well...





It would be very god for us, in these difficult times you know. We don’t want to be making anyone redundant but with the recession and all.





Of course of course. Were shall we go.





If you don’t mind we thought over by your old desk





They walked over to where she used to sit. It looked a lot nicer than when she was there. The furniture had been modernised and there was a brand new computer there. She sat in her seat as they asked and they gathered round to face the camera.








** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **





Steve Wybourn





** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2010 Wybo (UN: wybell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wybo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688499-733-words-24th-feb-2010