*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688806-Single-fathers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#688806 added February 27, 2010 at 12:51pm
Restrictions: None
Single fathers
      Single dads always get a lot of sympathy from people in the workplace. "He's really there with his kids" and other such remarks are made about the guys who get to have all of the fun and little discipline with his kids. He can be party dad, while Mom is the sensible food- sleep normal- do your homework- bad guy.

      These single dads need to step up and listen to Michelle Obama's new campaign. They, too, have a role in their children's health. Instead of hot dogs and french fries on the weekends, these men need to be pushing fresh fruit and salads and low-fat proteins. Instead of theme parks and movies and video games, they need to play ball and run and exercise with their children. The fathers they don't see every day should be setting an example of healthy eating and active lifestyle.

    To this end, men need to learn about healthy eating, too, for themselves and their children. Any campaign against childhood obesity must include educating fathers on food shopping, cooking at home vs fast food, and exercise for children in appropriate age levels. Men need to learn the basics of cooking, make appealing food presentations, and encourage kids to try new things. (I even experiment with fruit salads to get grown men to eat more fruit at my house!) Even married fathers have a role to play supporting Mom and co-leading in healthy eating and exercising.

      Fathers have an equal role to play in avoiding childhood obesity. Encouraging words, positive reinforcement, and a good example will surpass nagging and criticisms. I hope Michelle's campaign will not only include fathers, but will teach the psychological and emotional aspects as well.

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688806-Single-fathers