*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692078-Babies
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#692078 added April 3, 2010 at 2:11am
Restrictions: None
Babies
    Sometimes it seems so unfair. Look at all the babies that are abused, physically or mentally. Babies that are unwanted, unloved. The parents feel like they are a burden. They get dumped on the grandparents or put up for adoption or have to settle for a lousy life. These babies won't get the love or mental security or intellectual stimulation they need. 

    Then look at all the people who want children and can't have them. People who are educated, or financially sound, or mature, or nurturing, but they never have children. Not by design, but by fate. So many reasons exist to dash their dreams. These people  would be caring, dedicated parents who could offer security, stability, education, moral training, and love.

    The Old Testament tells the story of Solomon and two prostitutes who are arguing over a baby. The first woman to testify in court says that the two live together. She had a baby three days before the second lady. She further claims the second lady rolled over on top of her new baby during the night, and it smothered to death. She alleges the second woman gets up and switches the babies in the night. In the morning when she awakes, she examines her child in the light and discovers the treachery.
 
    The second woman denies the allegation, claiming the living child is the younger baby, her own. They go back and forth like women on Judge Mathis or Judge Joe Brown until Solomon intervenes. He repeats the basic problem (verifies the issue) that each one claims to be the mother of the living child. He then asks for a sword. Upon receiving it, he announces that he will cut the baby in half and give each part of it. The second woman changes her plea, asking that he give the first woman the baby, as long as it lives. The first woman says whatever the king decides is okay.

      Solomon then declares the baby should go to the second woman. She will be its mother.

      News of the story spread like wildfire, without help from media. The people were amazed by Solomon in this case. The story is one of Solomon's early court cases as judge.  It spread his reputation as a wise and capable judge and leader.It built his political strength and the loyalty of the people. The story is most important because of what it tells about Solomon. But as short as it is, it also tells us about parenthood.

      While most people interpret this as Solomon having insight and discerning the truth, it actually never says who gave birth to the baby. Solomon didn't declare who lied and who told the truth. He declared who would be the mother from that point on. Remember they are both prostitutes, or low class women in society. The woman who put the child's welfare ahead of her own should be the mother, according to the "wisest man who ever lived", even if she didn't give birth.

     
      The best parents are not necessarily the ones who conceive the child or carry it to birth, but the ones who will give love and nurturing and will stop thinking about themselves for the sake of the child. I'm having a really hard time seeing that quality in today's population.

   

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/692078-Babies