*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693632-April-19A-Day-of-Tragic-History-----------233-word-count
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#693632 added May 1, 2010 at 11:24am
Restrictions: None
April 19_A Day of Tragic History 233 word count
April 19





This date always marks for me a Day of Memoriam.


Not only did I reach a personal “milestone” event on this date in 1974, which led directly to another event a week later which I have always regretted, but this date in history saw many tragic events.





On April 19, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln, assassinated, was buried.





On April 19, 1993, 74 people died-most of them unarmed and defenseless women and children-in the flaming inferno of the Branch  Davidian Compound near Waco, Texas. This was the consequence of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms' intent to “smoke out” (pun unfortunately intentional) Compound cult leader David Koresh.


Irrelevant is the intention to the consequences: innocent lives were tragically destroyed.





On April 19, 1995, The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building was bombed, leading to a horrendous loss of life, again including 19 children, at the Building's Day care center. 168 died, and hundreds were injured.





The alleged motive for the bombing was revenge against the Federal government for-wait for this-the Waco tragedy on April 19, 1993; and for the Ruby Ridge tragedies of August 21-22, 1992, which took the lives of a young boy, his mother, and the family's unarmed dog, at the hands of FBI Hostage Rescue Team snipers.





Other April 19 events:





Baltimore Riots 1861


Lord Byron's death, in Greece, 1824


American Revolution began, 1775








http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-alfred-p-murrah-federal-building-...





http://www.answers.com/topic/ruby-ridge

© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693632-April-19A-Day-of-Tragic-History-----------233-word-count