*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694077-Job-hunting-is-hard-work
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#694077 added April 23, 2010 at 11:06pm
Restrictions: None
Job hunting is hard work
    Most jobs these days are listed on a computer service. Even the employment commission refers to hotjobs.com or craigslist. So you would think that job hunting would be easier, as long as you have computer access.

    I guess I should explain for the younger generations. Back in the 80's, you had to have a typewriter or word processor or rent one at $10 a day. You had to type your resumes perfectly, no spell-check, and then go make copies. Or you could pay big bucks to have one professionally printed. You wrote each letter perfectly, then typed your envelopes. You made a trip to the post office to get them out as fast as possible. You got the contacts from the newspaper or the employment agency. Office people did almost all contacts this way. Sometimes, you could go in person and fill out an application, usually 2 or 3 times a week.

    Other type jobs would require the resume, but you just had to pound the pavement and read the paper daily. You could spend 2 to 8 hours a day just applying for jobs, counting travel time.

    Today, it still takes a lot of time, but half of all apps are just done on the computer. Nonetheless, the typing is still necessary, but with the aid of spell check and templates and saved files. Occasionally, you still have to mail the information after printing it. Most places do not want you to come in person, or once you get there, you're seated at a computer kiosk to do what you could have done from home. I spend just as much time now as I did in the 80's with less travel.

    Searching computer lists can be trying, sorting through the things you don't want, like things in another state. Every employer wants the process done a little differently, or have their own templates or software to use. I have trouble remembering all my user names and passwords, for the local big companies, as well as the job lists, like monster. I still spend a minimum of 4 hours a day pursuing the elusive job. But that's an improvement, since last fall there weren't many jobs listed for pursuit.

    So, it would seem that if 50% or more of the job hunt can be done in your dowdy clothes and not cost gas money, that it would be easier. Well, I probably do get a few more apps in by the end of the week, and I do have access to more listings, or so it would seem. The employers have more options for listing and screening. They are getting many times more responses today due to the Internet, but if they're going through one of the listings, they're not seeing every single application. If they are getting the applications directly, yours is probably being buried in the deluge. So the competition is much stiffer. Inexperience works against you. Too much experience works against you. Too much education works against you.

    It's heartbreaking, disappointing, and dangerous to your self-esteem. But still I slave at my computer, trying to grab that job on craigslist before it's filled. I've lowered my standards, my wage expectations, and will work part-time. I apply for everything. If only I were paid for my time.

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694077-Job-hunting-is-hard-work